Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#97059 - 02/06/2002 06:54 Thule or Yakima??
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA
Need to get a new roof rack for my 1995 VW golf.
I've had the use of a Thule for a few years now, but a loser friend of mine is taking it back.
He says he wants it 'cause he paid for it or something.
Whatever.

So I need to get my own.
The Thule was alright. Minor quality issues with some of the plastics, and slight corrosion.
But I dont feel bound to the brand in any way. If the Yakima's are better I have no qualms about getting that brand.
Anybody have any opinions one way or the other?
Because these suckers are expensive I figured I'd cover all the bases before making a purchase.

Ill be carrying the following: 2+ bikes, a kayak, a canoe, and skis.
Not all at the same time of course.
And this is on a 95 VW golf.

Any opinions?

#97060 - 02/06/2002 11:06 Re: Thule or Yakima?? [Re: fusto]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
I had a thule for my audi and it was pretty good never seen a yakima.

#97061 - 02/06/2002 11:24 Re: Thule or Yakima?? [Re: fusto]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
This probably isn't very helpful, but I've been eyeing the Yakima Kayak setup with the handy rollers. I've seen many people with these and they look very useful.

But then I use these on a $20 roof rack from Ikea.

#97062 - 02/06/2002 12:12 Re: Thule or Yakima?? [Re: fusto]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Well, I don't know what's out there now. I've had a Thule for about 10 years and it's been transfered from one car to another (mine, at the moment). It carries two bikes with both wheels on. I never could figure out why someone would want to store one of your wheels inside their car. I can understand it if you had a smaller car like a Golf, but people with SUVs and Minivans. It doesn't make much sense.

Anyway, I like mine and haven't had any realy problems. Yeah, the plastic parts have kinda broken on mine, too, but they werent' that useful anyway.

#97063 - 02/06/2002 12:36 Re: Thule or Yakima?? [Re: fusto]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
I was under the inmpression that one could chop & change parts between Thule and Yakima.
As in you could purchase a Yakima car rack, but ues a Thule bike holder on it - and so on.
Have I been mislead, or both makers completly in-compatable?

#97064 - 02/06/2002 14:56 Re: Thule or Yakima?? [Re: Phoenix42]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I was under the inmpression that one could chop & change parts between Thule and Yakima.

No. They are totally incompatible. The Thule uses square-section cross-bars, the Yakima uses round.

I have had limited experience with Thule, extensive experience with Yakima. In my opinion, the Yakima is better.

At the last national championship bicycle races I attended, where the typical bicycle was in the $2000+ category, Yakima racks outnumbered Thule racks by about ten to one.

tanstaafl.

#97065 - 02/06/2002 19:39 Re: Thule or Yakima?? [Re: fusto]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
I've got a LockJaw for a Yakima that I'll let go for the price of shipping, no rack, just the LockJaw. I've had it since '95 or so and used it maybe twice, works great, I just found easier to throw the bike in the back of the truck.
Yaks are very good racks and very versatile, I used it to haul a canoe mostly...

#97066 - 02/06/2002 21:06 Re: Thule or Yakima?? [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
The Thule uses square-section cross-bars, the Yakima uses round.

But what about all these round holes?? I've got to put these square pegs somewhere!

#97067 - 03/06/2002 10:52 Re: Thule or Yakima?? [Re: tanstaafl.]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
I've got Yakimas and they've been fine. The only plus I could think of one way or another is that with round tubes you can fold the ski-rack attachments (less the skis of course) flat which cuts down wind noise slightly when not in use (but still on the car).

-Zeke