Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#64878 - 30/01/2002 19:11 Tunah question (not related to Bill Parcells)
joe187
journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts
I am loving my Empeg. But I'm sure that most of you are familiar with that one question the wife will immediately ask and spoil your excitement - the "why doesn't it ______?" question. Well, mine has to do with the tuner. I was immediately made aware that there is no "seek" function with the radio. My wife considers that a mark of a quality stereo - its ability to scan ahead, find the next acceptable strength signal, play that station for 5 seconds, thereby giving you a chance to accept that station or allow it to scan to the next. This is actually a pretty nice feature sometimes, especially when in new cities.

Am i right that it is not there? Has anybody written this into a kernal somewhere? This seems like a fairly easy software hack. I appreciate the help. To quote my Boston roots - this is a wicked pissah resource!
Joe

#64879 - 30/01/2002 19:58 Re: Tunah question (not related to Bill Parcells) [Re: joe187]
clsmith

I don't know your accent kinda sounds like you're from Reveah Beach! Always good to hear someone speak as poorly as I do.

As for the Tuner. I have no problems seeking by signal strength. The directions say "To auto-scan for the next strong signal, press and hold the Track Skip button to tune in that direction." Works for me.

#64880 - 30/01/2002 20:03 Re: Tunah question (not related to Bill Parcells) [Re: joe187]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
This type of thing would not typically be done in the kernel. The kernel is only supposed to contain the operating system's code for dealing with devices and running programs and such.

A "scan" function really belongs in the player software, so you want to post in the Wish List forum. However, this has already been asked for, and the Empeg guys know people want it. One of the problems is there aren't many remote buttons left over to be reserved for such a function... If you post this request in the Wish List forum, it has a better chance of getting read by someone who can do something about it.

You *can* currently "seek" to the next strong signal by holding down the left/right buttons on either the front panel or the remote. So, it would *technically* be possible to implement this in the kernel by having a special button defined which the kernel knows about, and then sends a "hold down left/right button" code to the player every 5 seconds until you hit that button again. However, that's not where this kind of functionality belongs, and it'd be a real clumsy hack compared to a properly-written scan function in the player software.

#64881 - 30/01/2002 20:50 Re: Tunah question (not related to Bill Parcells) [Re: clsmith]
joe187
journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts
I grew up in Allston - ovah by Hahvahd and Summavul, but Reveah chics with wicked big haiyah drivin IROCs down Kellys up the beach is oneah my favorite summah things! Sucks in the wintah though...

I know you can manually do this - and it isn't a big deal for me at all, but I have to live with SWMBO in the car sometimes.