Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#131373 - 18/12/2002 10:59 Copy/Paste Playlists in emplode - paste special?
whallify
new poster

Loc: Austin, TX
Hello all --

So I'm using emplode 2.00b13 and have a usage/maintenance question.

I realize that if you copy a playlist or set of playlists into another playlist that the copied playlist and the original are symlinked such that if you modify one you modify both.

I don't necessarily like this (other than the fact that it's preventing duplicates of course). What I'd like to do is copy the playlist(s) and edit the resulting playlist as it's own entity. I'm trying to find out the best way to do this.

Example:

My top level contains
All Artists
\-- Artist 1, etc
\-- Album
\-- Song
\-- Album
\-- Song
\-- Artist 2, etc

Person 1's playlist
Person 2's playlist
Person 3's playlist

Now, I have 300+ artists in the "all artists" section. Let's say 80 of them are to be in Person 3's playlist. Ideally, I find the 80 or so artists in the All Artists playlist, copy and paste them into Person 3's playlist.

KEY NOTE: This preserves the Artist/Album/Song hierarchy within the playlists.

Problem: Say Person 3 doesn't like Song X or Album Y. I remove it from Person 3's playlist and it removes it from All Artists Playlist. Bad (yet designed)

Only workaround I've been able to think of or see from others is to manually type in the playlist hierarchy of artist/album/ for all of them, then copy/paste from the soup. Copying/pasting from the soup doesn't preserve the artist/album hierarchy, so it doesn't give me what I need and is very time consuming.

Since we can't browse the soup on the player, the only way to find songs is through the search (which is awesome of course, but not what I'm looking for in this instance)

Seems that we need a "paste copy" or "paste special" so that it creates a new set of hierarchy and pointers yet still points to the same single instance of the song. This is what my PJB (Personal Jukebox) software does for my 20GB portable.

Any suggestions?

30G Rio

#131374 - 18/12/2002 11:10 Re: Copy/Paste Playlists in emplode - paste special? [Re: whallify]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Agreed. When I find time to implement it, it'll get implemented.

See this for more information.

#131375 - 18/12/2002 13:51 Re: Copy/Paste Playlists in emplode - paste special? [Re: whallify]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
jEmplode has an optional paste variant that implements deep copying (under the Edit menu -- I can't remember the hotkey offhand).

#131376 - 18/12/2002 22:32 Re: Copy/Paste Playlists in emplode - paste special? [Re: whallify]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
What I'd like to do is copy the playlist(s) and edit the resulting playlist as it's own entity.

As stated here...

So if you make a copy of a playlist, then edit one copy, the changes automatically appear in the other copy. (If you don't want this to happen, then create a new playlist from scratch instead of making a copy of it.)

#131377 - 26/01/2004 00:38 Re: Copy/Paste Playlists in emplode - paste special? [Re: tfabris]
dewdman42

Did anyone every get around to implementing a deep copy into either emplode or Jemplode. I agree with some others on this subject..we sorely need a deep copy. It would save me hours of time whenever I find the need to re-sync my player from scratch. Since I often have artist/album playlists..if I do the shallow copy and then decide to remove an album from some other higher level copied playlist..the underlying album gets deleted from all playlists the included the whole artist.

Yes I Understand that I can create all these playlists manually..which is what I did last time and it took a few hours. Should be easier if I could do a deep copy.

ANd I like the option suggested of NOT deep copying the songs..only the parent playlists..no matter how many levels deep to get to the songs..