Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#8761 - 01/06/2000 08:02 New Remote
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
This may be a bit premature, but:
In Tony's post about meeting with Hugo, he brought up the idea that Empeg Ltd. would (might?) make their own remote using different IR signals. This makes me worry about my Kenwood Steering-wheel remote. Firstly, is this really going to happen any time soon? Secondly, if the new remotes use different signaling, can the Empeg-Car understand both types of signal?
Thanks,
Jason

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#8762 - 01/06/2000 08:58 Re: New Remote [Re: Dearing]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
It'll take a few months to get the new remotes; we'll still support the old ones (and any compatible remotes like the kenwood steering wheel remote).

Hugo

#8763 - 01/06/2000 10:18 Re: New Remote [Re: altman]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Hm. So if we buy a Mk II when it first comes out, we'll still get a Kenwood tagged remote? What are the benefits of the new remote?

- Jon

#8764 - 01/06/2000 10:25 Re: New Remote [Re: jbauer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm guessing that the main difference with the new remote will be that the keypad will be labeled properly for the Empeg. And since the IR command set will be different, you could use it in the same car with a Kenwood head unit (although if it still responded to the Kenwood commands, there'd be an issue when you tried to use the Kenwood remote on the Kenwood head unit... can anyone say "config.ini setting"?)

#8765 - 01/06/2000 13:29 Re: New Remote [Re: tfabris]
scoco

Loc: St. Louis, MO
My echostar dishplayer reciever came with one remote and when I subscribed to Personal TV they sent a new remote. The first time I used one of the new keys on the new remote, the reciever switched to start taking controls from the new remote and not the old one. I'm sure empeg could do something similar, although I'd hope that it could be over written with a config setting.

unit (although if it still responded to the Kenwood commands, there'd be an issue when you tried to use the Kenwood remote on the Kenwood head unit... can anyone say "config.ini setting"?)

#8766 - 01/06/2000 14:24 Re: New Remote [Re: altman]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
Do you mean that the Empeg could read 2 different commercial IR Remotes' signals at the same time? I mean be configured for the Kenwood AND Empeg remotes?

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#8767 - 01/06/2000 14:33 Re: New Remote [Re: Dearing]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Theoriticially it could work with 50 or more remotes at the same time. The developer site has all the code needed to recieve and understand the existing Kenwood remote. By what I remember, the code for IR is in the kernel, so all someone would need to do is download the kernel source from the empeg site, and add the new codes for /dev/ir and output the correct codes for the player software to pick up on. Then an .upgrade file can be released that only updates the player kernel, similar to the button fix patches.