Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#24065 - 30/12/2000 01:37 My player is quite messed up!
cwillenbrock
enthusiast

Loc: Dover, NJ
The following is from an email I just sent to the empeg support email address. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of similar problems with their Mark 2 player. I thought perhaps it *might* have something to do with the cold weather here in New Jersey (I saw a thread from someone else here with concerns about the cold), but given the complete lack of any posts about anything like this happening, I'm thinking it's probably not a weather thing.
-------------------------------------
My empeg-car has stopped working.

It was fine, then one day the display wouldn't come up normally and the unit doesn't seem to produce sound. I see nothing coherent on the display...only flashes of static. It looks like the player is freaking out. Also, it doesn't seem to respond to the controls at all. I can't get the display flickering to stop by trying to put the unit into sleep mode. When the power is off (that is, when it feels like being off, as I don't have any control over this) the power indicator light doesn't hold its normal pattern. It has a most unnatural flicker.

After this began, I couldn't connect to the unit with my PC and emplode software. I did, however, reload the consumer image upgrade and I can connect to the unit with emplode again (though the display is still messed up and I can't actually use the unit). If I try playing a tune from the emplode software on the player (through my home stereo) I don't hear any sound.

The player behaves exactly the same way in my home or in my car.

#24066 - 30/12/2000 03:49 Re: My player is quite messed up! [Re: cwillenbrock]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
It doesn't sound cold related - the only thing I can think of is one of the power supplies on the display board getting very upset (which would affect the buttons too).

You should be able to get it picked up on Tuesday (hopefully) and I can look at it before I go to the US. It's strange that you get no audio when you select play from emplode, but if the buttons aren't working then you can't turn the volume up...

Hugo

#24067 - 30/12/2000 11:41 Re: My player is quite messed up! [Re: cwillenbrock]
jwickis
addict

Loc: India
Just for point of reference I have left my Mk2 in the car here where the temps have been down to -10 a few times but not regularly and nothing has freaked on it out yet.

#695 Mk2 BLUE 12Gig

Ask and I may tell you