Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#113349 - 27/08/2002 14:30 parametric EQ emulation for PC?
Cas_O
journeyman

Loc: 's-Hertogenbosch; the Netherla...
I've been fiddling with the EQ on the Empeg, and although I think I understand what the various settings are supposed to do, more often than not can I get the sound out of it I want.

Does anyone know of a program where you can put in many different EQ point; define Fq and Q and hey presto, see what the resulting curve would look like?

This would give a quick route on the Empeg to try out a couple of different curves to achieve a "target curve" (after having done an in-car measurement)

#113350 - 27/08/2002 14:43 Re: parametric EQ emulation for PC? [Re: Cas_O]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Many PC audio editing applications will do this for you right on the screen in their parametric EQs. Here's a screen shot from emagic's Logic Audio:

But you have to understand that EQs must be adjusted in real time using your ears as the gude, not hard numbers. The only time a PC will help you in adjusting the empeg's EQ is if you're using a spectrum analyzer.

Trying to pre-program a "curve" in the house, then plugging those digits into the car, won't do you any good. You have to HEAR the changes in the actual environment, and it has to be in real time.

Try looking up threads on "RTA" here in the forum and see what you can come up with. I think that's what you're really trying to do.

#113351 - 27/08/2002 15:15 Re: parametric EQ emulation for PC? [Re: tfabris]
Cas_O
journeyman

Loc: 's-Hertogenbosch; the Netherla...
Thanks Tony, will try this out.

Take your comment about listening, I just view it as a tool to help me understand what I'm actually listening to as well; will also help me understand parametric EQ more and mentally visualise a response when doing some tweaking.

Sometimes fiddling the controls doesn't always bring what I'd expected it to bring, but then again, I don't have that much experience with parametric EQ's. Noticed the interesting thread on the subject of Empeg's EQ accuracy: here. I blame the unexpected results on not knowing what I'm doing though.

#113352 - 27/08/2002 15:17 Re: parametric EQ emulation for PC? [Re: Cas_O]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Or it could be possible that you're running beta 11 which has a known bug in the locked-Q mode. That might account for the unexpected results.