Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#288098 - 14/10/2006 10:35 How to recover a lost post
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Sometimes the BBS will throw away a post if you take too long composing it. The safest thing to do is to always select and copy the text of your post before submitting it. That way you can just paste it back if you encounter the timeout.

That said, there may be relatively easy ways to recover if you fail to do that.

Read the following suggestions so you don't have to recreate posts from memory.

(Does someone know an easy way to do this from IE? If so, post it.)

#288099 - 14/10/2006 10:43 Firefox [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

When you get the page that tells you that the post time has been exceeded, do not go back to the previous page.

Click on the "Tools" menu and select "Live HTTP headers".

(You might want to do that now in order to make sure that you have this menu item. I believe that it comes with Firefox by default these days, but, if not, you might want to install the appropriate extension before you get in this situation.)

It will bring up a new window. Press reload in the browser window. It will warn you that you are about to repost data. Click OK. You will get the same timeout page, but the "Live HTTP headers" window will get populated.

Click the "Save All..." button on the "Live HTTP headers" window and save it with the filename "empegpost.txt". Then open that file from Explorer. It will open in Notepad. Within Notepad, you will find the text of your post, amongst some other stuff you can ignore. Select the text of your post and copy it.

Go back to your browser window and press the back button. The textarea where you wrote your post will, most likely, be empty. (If not, select it all and press the backspace key.) Then select the textarea and paste the text of your post copied from Notepad into it. Then click submit.

You should have recovered your post.

You can close the "Live HTTP headers" window and Notepad, and delete the "empegpost.txt" file once you've confirmed that your post has been accepted.

#288100 - 14/10/2006 11:11 Internet Explorer [Re: wfaulk]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
If you suspect that you've taken too long over a post in Internet Explorer, you can keep it safe by stashing a copy on the clipboard, using the following method:

Press Ctrl+A (select all), and then press Ctrl+C (copy), your text will be placed safely on the clipboard. Then, if you need to re-enter your text, you can press Ctrl+V (paste) in the new text box.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a way in IE to replicate Bitt's other tip for Firefox.

#288101 - 14/10/2006 12:00 Re: Firefox [Re: wfaulk]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
A very clever tip, Bitt!

Quote:
Click on the "Tools" menu and select "Live HTTP headers".
(You might want to do that now in order to make sure that you have this menu item. I believe that it comes with Firefox by default these days, but, if not, you might want to install the appropriate extension before you get in this situation.)

"Live HTTP headers" is a user-installed FireFox extension for version 1.xx of Firefox. This means it won't be there unless one has installed it (a very Good Idea -- do it now!).

Dunno about Firefox 2.0 (aka "Bon Echo", named after the same area 100 minutes from here where I hang out on hot summer days/weekends).

Cheers

#288102 - 14/10/2006 12:51 Re: Internet Explorer [Re: Roger]
dr_dos

Loc: Bendorf, Germany
Quote:
Press Ctrl+A (select all), and then press Ctrl+C (copy), your text will be placed safely on the clipboard. Then, if you need to re-enter your text, you can press Ctrl+V (paste) in the new text box.

That's not limited to IE, those shortcuts work anywhere on the Windows system.

Peter

#288103 - 15/10/2006 22:23 Re: How to recover a lost post [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Unstickied, as this will only remain an issue for around 24 more hours.

#288104 - 16/10/2006 01:40 Re: How to recover a lost post [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Knock on wood.

#288105 - 16/10/2006 17:39 Re: Internet Explorer [Re: Roger]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
If you suspect that you've taken too long over a post

Me? I just always have "preview my post" turned on, and hit the Continue button every couple paragraphs to preview and edit. A stitch in time...

#288106 - 16/10/2006 18:04 Re: Internet Explorer [Re: canuckInOR]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quote:
Quote:
If you suspect that you've taken too long over a post

Me? I just always have "preview my post" turned on, and hit the Continue button every couple paragraphs to preview and edit. A stitch in time...

The thing that's saving your post is the fact that you click 'continue' so often. Just having 'preview' on doesn't save you from losing a post. I know.

#288107 - 16/10/2006 21:17 Re: How to recover a lost post [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Knock on wood.

Looks like plywood isn't real enough wood. Until I get the CSS mess sorted out on the new boards, the upgrade is going to be delayed.

#288108 - 28/10/2006 13:16 Re: Firefox [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

"Live HTTP Headers" isn't supported under Firefox 2.0. But there's a new extension that will do the same thing: Tamper Data.

#288109 - 04/05/2007 17:18 Universal (Windows) Method [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Install Wireshark, nee Ethereal. Once it's installed, start a capture by selecting Capture->Interfaces. You should see your ethernet card named with its counters increasing. Click the "Prepare" button next to it. In the "Capture Filter" field, type "host empegbbs.com". Then click Start.

Press your browser's back button, press the forward button and confirm that you want to repost the data. Once the new denial page shows up, click "Stop". You'll see a bunch of data show up. Just click through them until you find the data that you intended to post. It may take some slight reediting, and it might be spread across multiple packets, but it'll all be there. You can right-click in the bottom panel and select Copy->All Information.

On other OSes, you can use similar methods with other network sniffers, like tcpdump and snoop.

#288110 - 04/05/2007 17:42 Re: Universal (Windows) Method [Re: wfaulk]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
and it might be spread across multiple packets

Right-click, "Follow TCP Stream" is your friend in these situations.

#288111 - 04/05/2007 17:59 Re: Universal (Windows) Method [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Actually, it looks like Wireshark automatically combines packets for you these days, which I noticed after I posted, so it's probably a non-issue.

#288112 - 14/06/2007 12:00 Re: Firefox [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I've noticed a lot of people losing posts lately. Please, everyone, go install Live HTTP Headers right now. And if you're using IE, stop. Download, install, and use Firefox, then install Live HTTP Headers.

Or, it looks like Fiddler 2 might provide similar features for IE. Can someone verify?

#288113 - 14/06/2007 12:50 Re: Firefox [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Actually, I found a better one for IE: ieHTTPHeaders.

Install now. Then, when you lose a post, it's basically the same thing as with Firefox and LiveHTTPHeaders, except you turn on ieHTTPHeaders with View->Explorer Bar->ieHTTPHeaders.

So, you get the "the BBS has eaten your post" message. Click back. Click View->Explorer Bar->ieHTTPHeaders. Click forward. IE will tell you that the page has expired. Click reload. IE will prompt you that it has to repost the data. Tell it to do that. Look in the ieHTTPHeaders window and find your text. It'll be in the first transaction. Select the text and click Ctrl-C to copy it. Click back again. Paste your text in the box, and click Submit again. Done and done.

Edited by wfaulk (14/06/2007 13:37)

#288114 - 14/06/2007 13:39 Re: How to recover a lost post [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

There is no reason for you not to install either ieHTTPHeaders for IE or LiveHTTPHeaders for Firefox right now. Do it. Do it. Do it. I know: you're never going to lose a post. Do it anyway. Do it. Do it now.

#288115 - 14/06/2007 13:48 Re: How to recover a lost post [Re: wfaulk]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Quote:
Do it. Do it. Do it. I know: you're never going to lose a post. Do it anyway. Do it. Do it now.

Reminds me of last nights Futurama rerun...

Fry: "Fix it! Fix it! Fix it! Fix it! Fix it! Fix it! Fix it!..... Fix it! Fix it!"

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#288116 - 14/06/2007 15:57 Re: How to recover a lost post [Re: wfaulk]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Quote:
you're never going to lose a post.

Nope, I've lost plenty of posts. It's been installed. Now the race is on, will I lose another post or restart firefox first?

Matthew

#288117 - 14/06/2007 18:57 Re: How to recover a lost post [Re: wfaulk]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
There is no reason for you not to install either ieHTTPHeaders for IE or LiveHTTPHeaders for Firefox right now.

Except that the recovery process is so complex that it is easier to just re-type the post.

If I have a post that is more than a few lines long, I always go Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C before I click on the "Continue" button.

FWIW, I don't think the post monster eats them at random. The only ones I have ever lost were where I had the creation window open for an extended time -- say 15 minutes or more.

tanstaafl.

#288118 - 14/06/2007 19:39 Re: How to recover a lost post [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yes, those are the exact situations in which the post gets lost. And yes, ctrl-A ctrl-C is your best and easiest defense against this. What Bitt is saying is, for those who forgot to do ctrl-A ctrl-C and lost their post, this is the fix procedure. In an emergency, after your text has suddenly disappeared, you can pop up this thread in another browser window and get your precious text back.

The fix procedure only works if you've already installed those plugins he mentioned when you make the mistake, though, so having the plugins already installed is a good idea.

#288119 - 14/06/2007 19:39 Re: How to recover a lost post [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I don't think the post monster eats them at random.

It does not. As you surmised, it's time based.

Quote:
The only ones I have ever lost were where I had the creation window open for an extended time -- say 15 minutes or more.

You mean like the ones you put an extra amount of effort into writing, possibly looking up sources, arguing with yourself about the right wording, making sure that your argument was correct? The exact ones that are the most difficult to recreate?

I'm talking with Tom to see if he can modify the timeout page so that it includes instructions , or, probably even better, a link to instructions, on how to recover, ONCE YOU HAVE THE EXTENSION INSTALLED!!! Install it! Once you install it, which doesn't take much time or effort, the recovery basically amounts to:
  1. Click Back
  2. Activate the plugin
  3. Click forward
  4. Find your text and copy it
  5. Click back
  6. Paste
  7. Submit
That's it.

If you don't want to use it, that's fine. But don't encourage others not to.

#288120 - 14/06/2007 21:46 Re: How to recover a lost post [Re: wfaulk]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think the post monster eats them at random.

It does not. As you surmised, it's time based.

Okay, so how's about one of the site admin folk going in and doubling the timeout, which is obviously too short right now ?

Thanks

#288121 - 15/06/2007 13:43 Re: How to recover a lost post [Re: mlord]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Okay, so how's about one of the site admin folk going in and doubling the timeout, which is obviously too short right now ?

I've tried before, it's not tied to the PHP session timeout, and at a quick glance earlier I never found a place to change it.

The proper solution is to move to 7.x, and I am going to try this again in the next month when the server moves to a new location. There is likely to be some CSS uglyness but I'd prefer to just have the new boards up instead of holding out any longer.

#288122 - 15/06/2007 23:57 Re: How to recover a lost post [Re: drakino]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Thanks, Tom.

Nothing pressing, but it's just an issue that seems to come up often.
So if/when an opportunity to nip it does arise..

Thanks again!

#304844 - 08/12/2007 22:20 Re: How to recover a lost post [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Hopefully this no longer needs to be sticky.