Hi!

I upgraded the player with piggyback memory chips and installed 2.01.

Now that I have a lot of memory, I was anxious to see the improvement in HDD running time. I did some testing, with both 16 and 32meg.

To my surprise, the HDD are spinning the exact same timeover a specific period, say 1 hour, both with and without the memory upgrade. What's the difference? The number of time they have to spinup. The improvement there is impressive. If I don't skip, the HDD can be stopped for about 30 minutes before being requested again.

My question concern the time required to cache the songs into memory. During the tests I did, at every startup, the HDD are spinning for about 1minute, sometimes up to 1:30. I'm wondering if it's normal. I find it quite slow: about 25meg transfered in 1:15 = 350k/sec. Is it normal?

After a check, the maximum download rate I can achieve through ethernet via http is 320k/s. I guess I'm spoiled by recent computers' HDD and though it could be as fast in the empeg. But wait, why do I upload at about 750k/s to the empeg with emplode. Is the player app taking that much processing power?

Thanks for your input