Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#127369 - 21/11/2002 10:23 Empeg unit on ebay
Mystkrh
new poster

Hey guy I have been trying to buy an empeg off ebay for a while now and I an looking at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=800975759 The first thing that makes me not want to buy it is he is a 0 and has shades nest to his name. The next would be the fact that it says it's a 60gb then it says it's a 30gb. Then when i emailed him for the serial number I got this responce
"the serial number i dont have and yes i have pics of
it but at the moment i have someone offering to pay me
650 cod. if u are interested and want to pay more let
me know and ill get back to you asap. it is a very
good unit in good condition . one of a kind , as u
know these are really hard to get. thanks for ur
interest. if anymore question , feel free to email me "

Now doesn't taht sound a little fishy?

Myst
MK2a 60gb sn#040103900 :-)

#127370 - 21/11/2002 10:28 Re: Empeg unit on ebay [Re: Mystkrh]
RickD
journeyman

Loc: Southern California
I' d be more than a little nervous with that response.

#127371 - 21/11/2002 10:39 Re: Empeg unit on ebay [Re: Mystkrh]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Tell him that the serial number is probably on a sticker on the bottom of the unit. If he gives it to you, check it with Rob/David to see if it's on the stolen players list.

Even then I'd still be nervous about it.

#127372 - 21/11/2002 10:51 Re: Empeg unit on ebay [Re: Mystkrh]
RickD
journeyman

This is a 30 GB unit which didn't sell on eBay because the reserve wasn't met:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=801716786

Try contacting the seller. Perhaps he will give you the serial number and some history of the player which will help set aside your concerns. Since it didn't sell, he may even be more flexible on the price.

#127373 - 21/11/2002 12:34 Re: Empeg unit on ebay [Re: RickD]
leftyfb
enthusiast

Loc: Lowell, MA
I also emailed and asked for the serial# and if it was a 30 or 60gb. His response:

it is a 60 gb. and yes i do have the serial number i
supppose i will just have to look for it on the unit.
at the moment i cant do so though because i am at
work. i have a lady offering me 650 cod. ending the
deal so if u are interested let me know. if u have
anymore questions let feel free to email me thank you!

#127374 - 21/11/2002 12:44 Re: Empeg unit on ebay [Re: leftyfb]
Mystkrh
new poster

Well The Auction had ended with no bids. I wanted to bid on it so bad I want an empeg!!!! Anyways it's not worth that risk when it's this fishy. Wierd that no one else has one up right now on ebay, probably due the the lowering prices. Well if anyone knows of any units for sale drop me a line.

Thanx
Myst
MK2a 60gb sn#040103900 :-)

#127375 - 21/11/2002 16:00 Re: Empeg unit on ebay [Re: Mystkrh]
RickD
journeyman

The fact that no one else even bid the minimum ought to tell you something.

#127376 - 21/11/2002 22:37 Re: Empeg unit on ebay [Re: Mystkrh]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Yeah man, I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. Before you buy an empeg, do your homework and research the sellers. Try these tips:

- Run their ebay name or e-mail address through the BBS search here.

- My personal favorite, ask for a photo of the serial number being displayed on the unit.
The seller of this unit provided me with a photo of the serial being displayed on the unit like 15 minutes after I requested it... at 11:30pm EST. Ooh how I almost bought that one. You can see why it sold for a high price; it had a good seller.

- Contact Rob and/or David at support regarding the serial number (but I don't know the process because I've never done it).

- Also check the empeg serial number registry. I don't know how accurate it is, but hey, it's something.

- My personal fear, beware of "60gig units" with scant descriptions. Also, if they use the "stock" photo shown in that 60gig add you are refering too, I'd be scared. If they can't produce a photo of the unit, watch out.

- For EBay sellers, check out what other items they've sold. Click on their feedback (number in brackets next to their name) and see if any of the links to items they've sold recently are still active. If they are selling a bunch of audio components, it may be a good deal. If they've "sold" 3 other empegs, you might want to watch out. Also, check what they've bought (indicated on the Feedback page with a B next to the item number link). If they bought the empeg and are turning around and selling it, that may tell you something.

- While you're at it, check what the other bidders on the item have bought and sold. It can be interesting.

- Post a message to the BBS asking about the seller. Some of us could comment on sellers we've bought from in the past.

- Lastly, if you buy from EBay, you have some sort of buyers rights and protections. I also pay with PayPal incase that affords me some other payment-revoking rights also. Buying off this BBS might not offer you those securities.

- what else am I missing? any other buying tips? these are the ones I use.

As for my plug, I'll say that TTony from the BBS is a great seller. He got me a sealed new in box 30gig empeg just like last month at a great price ($700 is good, right?). Ok, so it took a month for me to get the empeg after I paid, but I couldn't be happier with the unit. If he posts more, check him out. (you might not want to bug him with private messages though).

Good luck in your search. Don't be hasty. They will be around for a while, despite the fact that all the adds claim their's is the last one ever to be seen on the face of this green planet.