Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#314336 - 23/09/2008 18:50 Empeg with issues must go
Dbqsmurf
new poster

I have a 30 Gig Empeg 2 / Rio Car and it works fine if...... if you run the disk builder & NEVER put it into a sled/dock. Something is messed up so every time I connect it to the sled it starts acting funny:
A.. it won't power up in the seld.
B.. it resets it's self/ powering off/ shorting out or something along those lines every few minutes but only after I connect it to the sled. Once it is back inside and ac power connected

But I learned (with a bigger hard drive and a new disk image) it works fine at home (like it did when I first got it on ebay and was not told about this issue)
(BUT then I try it in the sled, once again and it has issues). I have put the 30 gig hard drive back in (click of death.... yea it needs a new one not a big issue....if you want I have some 10 gig ones).

If any one wants it as is let me know... if people want parts off of it let me know (which ever is going to get me a little bit more of my investment back on this one is the way I am going). I have 3 empegs and I know something is wrong with it the other two work great and are not for sale at this time.

Let me know what you guys think and want to make offers please do...

Philip

#314351 - 24/09/2008 00:52 Re: Empeg with issues must go [Re: Dbqsmurf]
newguy1
enthusiast

Loc: Massachusetts,USA
I had a similar issue with mine,link here Turns out I blew something in the DC power line and STU at EUTRONIX(see link at top of forum)was able to fix.Maybe its nothing to do with hard drive.If you take the hard drive out and put it in the dock it should still boot up with the "no hard disc" message.If it doesnt boot then its not the drive.

#314352 - 24/09/2008 01:28 Re: Empeg with issues must go [Re: newguy1]
Dbqsmurf
new poster

Had them look at it cost me enough!!! I have 2 that work this one is for sale or parts if people need it so anyone out there want it or part off it make me offers....

Philip

#314371 - 24/09/2008 07:46 Re: Empeg with issues must go [Re: Dbqsmurf]
JimCamel
journeyman

I could be interested, I'm doing some kernel development work for the Empeg (in the limited free time I have), but only have a MK1, so it'd be good to have a MKII to test as well. Only problem is I live in New Zealand, so shipping might be a killer. Any chance you could give me an estimate on price.

#314581 - 01/10/2008 17:01 Re: Empeg with issues must go [Re: JimCamel]
FieroSTi

Hmm...if you do decide to part it out, I'll take the display board. Any idea how much you'd want shipped to 14085?

#314883 - 10/10/2008 22:22 Re: Empeg with issues must go [Re: FieroSTi]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
This player is certainly fixable. Looking back at the records, we did work on and fix this player, although not for the issues he is describing. It does sound from what he is decribing that it is a faulty resistor which is what caused Mike's (newguy1)to do the same thing.

Stu