Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#132263 - 27/12/2002 21:45 Motorola Cell Phone Help Wanted
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
After much deliberation, I have bought 2 Motorola T720's today and would would like to get the most out of them for as little as possible.

I guess that to do anything with these I need a USB data cable and some software but after a few hours searching I'm lost (sortof). A lot of the items on the 'net focus on unlocking stolen handsets (which I don't have) but possibly I need products which fall into this category, I'm unsure.

My goal (ATM) is to upload bitmaps and polyphonic ringtones onto the handset(s) at zero cost: I'm not trying to be a complete miser here but FFS, most offerings I've seen so far charge in the region of £5.50UKP for a crappy ringtone and almost the same for a bitmap! Hell, the bitmap might look good in your browser but probably looks like [censored] on your handset but you still have to pay that exhorbitant fee just to see what it looks like, no way! I feel completely and utterly alienated from these people peddling their crappy products.

To add insult to injury, I got diddled, sortof, in so much as I didn't read or notice the (yeah, my bad totally) Motorola small print on TV adverts or otherwise that presumably said "You only get demo's of Tetris, Breakout & MotoRacer". This isn't a biggie but I'm miffed they are being so petty (as am I I suppose about upgrading), IMO they should have pre-loaded the whole game(s) onto the handset and not TV advertised a teaser. I don't feel really bad about this because the handsets are sweet and in just about all other respects exceed my expectations, I'm just a little miffed.

So, I'm in the market for ringtones, bitmaps and games etc. I guess this means I need a data lead, software etc. but I'm stuck and need advice/pointers etc., any help gratefully accepted

Edit: I'm sure Paramount don't EVER advertise products during their programmes but damn Niles Crane for flouting those flip-phones once-upon-a-time. Oh well, I'm saving for my Segway and a copy of MS Windows now, what's next?

Edited by Rue (27/12/2002 22:04)

#132264 - 30/12/2002 11:23 Re: Motorola Cell Phone Help Wanted [Re: AndrewT]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Have you tried just dragging and dropping .mid/.jpg/etc files onto the IrDA device under windows?

This (and the equivalent of dumping files into the Bluetooth inbox of the device) works for me on both the Ericsson T68 (screen images) and my Nokia 7650 (screen images, ring tones, java applets, etc)

Hugo

#132265 - 30/12/2002 22:23 Re: Motorola Cell Phone Help Wanted [Re: AndrewT]
tman
carpal tunnel

The software you need should come with the data cable. If you've got IrDA then you can just send the files as altaman suggests. Can't really be too specific as I've never used a Motorola phone apart from a very very old one.

Can anybody explain exactly what is so brilliant about the Segway? I've never gotten into the hype and frankly think it's ugly and useless

Looks like a scooter type thing which doesn't fall over to me...

- Trevor

#132266 - 30/12/2002 22:26 Re: Motorola Cell Phone Help Wanted [Re: tman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I think the best thing about the Segway is that, pre-unveiling, it was the fodder for that great South Park episode.

"Well, it's still better than how the airlines treat you."

#132267 - 31/12/2002 20:55 Re: Motorola Cell Phone Help Wanted [Re: altman]
AndrewT
old hand

Have you tried just dragging and dropping .mid/.jpg/etc files onto the IrDA device under windows?

Unfortunately it doesn't have iRDA. Although this might be considered as an oversight by some, I never really used it on my previous cell phone and didn't (don't) care enough to make sure I have it now

That said, I have read that this specific phone requires over-air Java downloads, presumably something deliberately engineered to generate provider revenue. I also saw some remarks against a $500 piece of software that generically stated Java apps could be uploaded over the USB link so I'm still confused. That software was primarily intended for unlocking (stolen?) handsets and that's where they presumably attached it's value, it's not for me.

I guess I need to keep on hunting and start experimenting. If this was a Nokia phone it could be re-flashed/hacked/reverse engineered and upgraded to be the MkIII empeg but since it's a far less popular Motorola I'm SOL, ho hum

#132268 - 31/12/2002 21:01 Re: Motorola Cell Phone Help Wanted [Re: tman]
AndrewT
old hand

Looks like a scooter type thing which doesn't fall over to me...

Isn't that the whole attraction of this device? Sure, the price tag sucks (a lot) and maybe I've been conned about the practical commercial uses for this product (USPS and Boeing in-house transportation I believe) but I'd sure like to trial one or take one on a shopping spree just to see the looks on people's faces

#132269 - 31/12/2002 23:55 Re: Motorola Cell Phone Help Wanted [Re: AndrewT]
cshuttle43
journeyman

You should really take a look at the following links:

http://www.wirelessadvisor.com/waforums/categories.cfm?catid=23

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vzw_t720/

These two pages highlight the efforts we're making to hack these phones and get them to do what we want them to do.

Join us...

Edited by cshuttle43 (31/12/2002 23:55)

#132270 - 01/01/2003 06:10 Re: Motorola Cell Phone Help Wanted [Re: AndrewT]
tman
carpal tunnel

I guess you're right

I think I dislike it because it's just massively overhyped and incredibly expensive! And besides, I'm more than happy to walk to most place and if that's not possible then I'd drive.

I suppose I'd give it a go if there was one available though...

- Trevor

#132271 - 01/01/2003 20:08 Re: Motorola Cell Phone Help Wanted [Re: cshuttle43]
AndrewT
old hand

Thanks! Those links are really helpful. I just _knew_ there would be an effort underway somewhere to get the most out of this phone.

I'd never heard of Verizon before reading those forums but sheesh, they seem to have their customers locked down ever so tightly in terms of generating revenue from data downloads etc. I can only guess that a lot of Verizon's customers either signed-up unwittingly or didn't have much of an alternative.

Join us...
I have! Just ordered the USB data cable and am looking forward to participating in the Whacking project