Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#134486 - 11/01/2003 16:00 GoVideo D2730
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
GoVideo D2730

Another cool network device to get. Now if only it would stream DivX files. I mean if you have video files on your computer are you really going to want them taking up all the valueable space that mpeg 1 or 2 would need? Plus MP3 for those of us without a Rio Receiver.

Other sites about D2730: Here, and Here (with photo!)

From the lastly linked article:
"GoVideo is working on making the D2730 upgradeable so it can play back video recorded using a Sonicblue ReplayTV digital video recorder."

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#134487 - 11/01/2003 16:53 Re: GoVideo D2730 [Re: Waterman981]
Biscuitsjam
enthusiast

If you want a timeline, look here:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030111/tc_nm/tech_sonicblue_dc_1

1) In March, release software to improve networking between units and activate the USB port.

2) By the end of the second quarter, MP3 playback and storage capability for ReplayTV units.

3) During the third quarter, a new under $100 receiver to allow playback only of material stored on ReplayTV boxes.

#134488 - 14/01/2003 22:32 Re: GoVideo D2730 [Re: Waterman981]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
That picture isn't the D2730 - it should not have a VHS slot. Checking the SB site, it simply looks like their older combo product.

I like the idea of this product. I'll already be doing the same thing using my PC connected to my TV. The benefit of this device is what can hopefully be a nice interface (for the PC I don't have anything right now that is as slick as Microsoft's MCE version of Windows). But I'd need it to play DivX and allow for easy codec upgrades. But of course I'd probably prefer to have this capability in a ReplayTV device... Or a combo of ReplayTV with DVD drive (then you could also play the video/muic files from removable media on your PVR).

I've set up a living room PC rightr now and have the capability to record TV on it using an ATI AIW 9700. However the software does not touch the Replay nor Tivo. And as I said, not convenient full-screen interfces for playing back movie files. The only thing I can do is wait dfor Snapstream to release version 3 of their PVR software and then hope for Canadian listing support. It's either that or go with a modified Tivo, and use the computer only for the media files... I'm tring to minimize the learning curve though. I don't have very much free time to dedicate to setting things up on an ongoing basis anymore.

Bruno