Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#139641 - 03/02/2003 16:49 an intrinsic look at ... me
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
pardon the self-less plug. and the popups, my personal server seems to be down.
http://angelfire.com/mt/streeter/psyche.htm

#139642 - 03/02/2003 17:01 Re: an intrinsic look at ... me [Re: RobotCaleb]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Hehe, I was in the 7th grade before I knew there WAS any result lower than 99th percentile. Myself and all my friends had never recieved anything lower. That all certainly changed in college though!

#139643 - 03/02/2003 18:04 Re: an intrinsic look at ... me [Re: RobotCaleb]
Biscuitsjam
enthusiast

I had, and still have, a similar problem. Absolute top of the charts on everything. I was reading Dickens and Tolkien at the age of 7. Some of my teachers had a tendency to give me independant study in math and science because I was so far ahead of the class. In my Junior year of high school, I did independant study physics; I didn't do jack all year, but I managed to learn enough physics in one day to get a 4 on the AP test. I got into college primarily on the basis of my test scores (1560 on SAT).

For some reason, I never could really focus on the schoolwork. It really isn't very challenging or rewarding. I'm in college now, with a 2.3 GPA. Medication has helped some, but there are too many side effects, so it really isn't worth it. The only way it gets easier is if you find something to challenge yourself with. Some people can challenge themselves by competing for grades, other people just have to wait until they get out of school and get a job that interests them.

Holding you back a grade would be extremely bad if your problem is already boredom from a lack of challenges. Most people who are bored in school are diagnosed with ADD, including myself and most of my extended relatives. It is kind of a lazy meaningless diagnosis that comes with a slight stigma. It also, on the other hand, gives you a lot of advantages, if you choose to take advantage of them, such as extra time on paper assignments, tests, etc. and access to ritalin and such. These medicines will help ANYBODY with concentration, but they still won't do your work for you.

-Biscuits

#139644 - 03/02/2003 18:24 Re: an intrinsic look at ... me [Re: Biscuitsjam]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Too true. Unfortunately I was in my last year of college before my ADD was diagnosed. I had a phenomenal last semester, but alas it was a bit too late. BTW, there are other drugs besides ritalin that will help with concentration and not have the side effects. It seems that many people that are exceptional at grade school have major difficulties in college. My major problem was that all through high school, I could pass any test without so much as cracking a book. Trouble is, by the time I hit college, I had no idea how to study effectively, and all the people around me are studying right away. I could read and reread, and just not absorb anything. (That is unless I'm interested) Rotalin fixed that without messing up the rest of my life, as long as I was careful about when I took it. If I took it after 6PM, I was in for a LONG night with no sleep. I no longer require medication to deal effectively, just knowing my limitations and the ways to overcome them is enough. If you're interested, there's a great book called Driven to Distraction. Helped me a lot.

Oh, and for the record, I have ADD, not ADHD, which is why it took so long for me to be diagnosed. It's a LOT easier if the kid is bouncing off the walls.

#139645 - 03/02/2003 19:06 Re: an intrinsic look at ... me [Re: lectric]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
my eyes were blue only 7 years ago. now theyre not. i hate that.

also, i was typing this up a few months ago and stopped and have since lost the original document. that is not the full document linked.
im in the process of typing up another, more in depth one.

#139646 - 06/02/2003 22:26 Re: an intrinsic look at ... me [Re: lectric]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
My major problem was that all through high school, I could pass any test without so much as cracking a book. Trouble is, by the time I hit college, I had no idea how to study effectively, and all the people around me are studying right away.

That was my major beef with high school, too. But when the high school's held the county track championship for 22 years, or something like that, who cares about things like academics!