I just got done fixing my HP laserjet 3P printer. This printer is about 10 years old and was still going strong and reliable up until last month.

Then it started dying with a "52 Error" on its LCD screen. A quick Google revealed that this is the result of the scanner motor (the thing that spins the mirror for the laser to bounce off of) not properly spinning up to full speed because of its age. The google search also revealed that the replacement part is hard to find and difficult to install.

It also revealed some links to www.fixyourownprinter.com , which turned out to be my salvation. Wow.

For something in the neighborhood of 50-75 bucks (I forget the exact price), they quickly sent me the replacement part and an amazingly detailed and clear MPEG video on a CDR showing you exactly how to replace the part, one screw at a time.

The scanner is deep in the heart of the printer, and you have to carefully remove a surprisingly large number of bits and pieces to get to it. But with the video, it was a piece of cake. I would consider it to be the printer-repair equivalent of the Drive Upgrade Guide. Very impressive.

The guy on the video even pointed out a few other items that commonly wear out and how to check them.

So if anyone has an old printer lying around that's quit working, peek at that site and see if your printer/problem is listed. For me, it was a lot cheaper and easier than buying a new laser printer.

God, I love the internet.