Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#179570 - 17/09/2003 07:12 Attenuation - A UK Question
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Anybody know how you attenuate an ordinary household FM aerial to feed a car radio (i.e. an Empeg tuner). I had the answer written on a piece of paper, but I couldn't find it in my entire 8 weeks holiday!

#179571 - 17/09/2003 09:39 Re: Attenuation - A UK Question [Re: boxer]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Hey boxer

I thought you were being very quiet, 8 weeks !!! I could do with a bit of that.

Can't help you with the answer, but nice random question. Just for my own interest what does the MG look like with a household FM aerial stuch out of the top

Cheers

Cris.

#179572 - 24/09/2003 08:47 Re: Attenuation - A UK Question [Re: Cris]
boxer
pooh-bah

Sorry, somehow with being in and out and one thing and another, I didn't pick up on your post.

It's not for the MG, it's for the Hymer motorhome - it's equipped with a dual purpose TV/FM caravan aerial and I had the idea of feeding it into the Empeg tuner, in the meantime I've established that it won't work on the move.

When Hymer make the motorhome, they just move the short stalk aerial from the original truck bodywork on to the fibreglass custom bodywork wing, reception is crap, shielded by human bodies and the bulk of the vehicle.

So I fitted an ordinary Halfords stalk aerial high up on the bodywork and it works great - unfortunately a low branch knocked it off outside Peterborough the day I fitted it. The next three have suffered the same fate and now I just duck tape them to the wing mirror, whilst I await the inevitable!
When I posted, I was looking for a more permanent solution.

Fortunately at that point, I came across "Cliff & Connie's CB's of Frazerburgh", Cliff, who sounds a heck of a nice guy, undertook to make me an aerial to meet my reception and sturdiness problems - it arrived yesterday in a parcel the weight and size of a mail order Kalashnikov, and I have to say that he knows his aerials - this thing would pass muster as a piece of military equipment on one of Julf's vehicles - it has a spring at the bottom that would fox an experienced bodybuilder, I will be fitting it this weekend.

Along with the remote control extender - parts cost less than a fiver at Maplins - that will enable me to work the Empeg from my bunk. But that's another story for another time, if it works it will probably appear under "Installations: Empeg: Weirdest".

I haven't really had eight weeks holiday, it was a reference to this thread

#179573 - 24/09/2003 12:12 Re: Attenuation - A UK Question [Re: boxer]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
In reply to:

this thing would pass muster as a piece of military equipment on one of Julf's vehicles

Hey! Do you think he would make one for me too?

#179574 - 29/09/2003 04:02 Re: Attenuation - A UK Question [Re: julf]
boxer
pooh-bah

i'm sure that Cliff would be happy to help.

And if anybody would like a remote extender for under a fiver, it's here.