Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#236151 - 01/10/2004 05:35 Why We Fight
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
I just noticed that the story entitled Baghdad Year Zero by Naomi Klein from the September issue has been put up on the Harper's Magazine Web site.

It started out seeming to be a fairly dry bit of reading, but ultimately I thought it was one of the most eye-opening stories I have read about Iraq and our adventure therein. In all of the confusion about who is bombing who, the ground-level economics don't always get the attentionm they deserve.

Thank you Harpers. Thanks you Ms. Klein.

Democracy.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#236152 - 01/10/2004 18:31 Re: Why We Fight [Re: jimhogan]
Whitey

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I found it very interesting, but I am a finance guy so...

I have to do some research into Milton Friedman. I remember reading a whole book on the guy (that was serveral brain cells ago) but I remember his "shocks" and being suppy and demand shocks. Not the same context presented here.

#236153 - 01/10/2004 18:41 Re: Why We Fight [Re: Whitey]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Milton Friedman is GOD. If you are an economist, how come you have not heard of him? Even I had to read up on him when I worked on Treasury trading simulation.

#236154 - 02/10/2004 08:01 Re: Why We Fight [Re: schofiel]
Whitey

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I know who the chap is, I just can remember the details of his shock policy. The only thing I can remember at the moment is "increase the growth rate of the money supply!"

#236155 - 05/10/2004 23:59 Re: Why We Fight [Re: Whitey]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
I know who the chap is, I just can remember the details of his shock policy.

I'm not sure that the author was portraying the neocon "year zero" shock policy in strictly Friedmanian terms. Maybe she abused it, I don't know, but an impressive story.

A-freaking-mazing: Paul Bremer, who is from all I can tell a complete neocon idealogue, blurts out yesterday that "We never had enough troops".

And Rumsfeld! "No connection between Hussien and Al Quaeda" (pardon my paraphrase).

What *is* this??? Granted they are telling the truth for once, but what inspired them to do so less than 30 days before election day? Aren't they supposed to be covering Bush's butt at this point?

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.