Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#269375 - 11/11/2005 14:39 IR Emitter/Blaster? Will this work?...
dtwizzle
new poster

I was hoping I can get some help from this forum since I know there's some really smart people here.
I'm thinking about adding a hard drive divx player mounted in the trunk.
Please look at the back view, There is an input for Coaxial/Ext. IR...

If I were to buy a 15ft IR Emitter/Blaster, pictured below, will I be able to use the remote in the front driver/passenger area to control the divx player?

Let me know if this would work. I'd like to get the player, but the remote control will not control the player in the trunk because there isn't a straight line of site. I'm guessing that running a small wire to the front, I can control it. Any help appreciated.

#269376 - 11/11/2005 17:08 Re: IR Emitter/Blaster? Will this work?... [Re: dtwizzle]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
The solution to the problem is pretty easy, but the answer is NO to your specific question.

The IR blaster you showed if for connecting to something able to send IR signals and would shine onto something able to receive. Basically it's an optical output device that takes input from some line-level output. Not what you want.

Since that DivX player already has an IR-in port, you can forget about an optical output shining to the optical input on the player. You want an optical input cable. An IR receiver. Similar to the blaster, with a mini phono connector at one end, but a photosensor at the other (instead of an IR LED). Then you would connect this to the player's IR input port and the photosensor portion would be mounted in your cabin in line-of-site of wherever you can point your remote control.

Bruno

#269377 - 11/11/2005 18:17 Re: IR Emitter/Blaster? Will this work?... [Re: hybrid8]
dtwizzle
new poster

Thanks for replying Bruno, you made it a little clearer for me. I tried doing a search for an optical input cable, but all I get is the digital optical cable for Audio. Like the ones to connect the 5.1 audio from a dvd player to receiver. Is this the same cable I need? If not, can you point me in the right direction? If you know of a link to a webstore that has it, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again.

#269378 - 11/11/2005 18:34 Re: IR Emitter/Blaster? Will this work?... [Re: dtwizzle]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I'd ask the manufacturer. I don't know that there's any standard for such a device; you may have to get the one that they manufacture.

#269379 - 11/11/2005 18:36 Re: IR Emitter/Blaster? Will this work?... [Re: wfaulk]
tman
carpal tunnel

Most devices that require an IR receiver just use it on a 3.5mm plug so there aren't too many permutations anyway. In this case however, I'd do what Bitt suggests and ask the manufacturer as the socket might do other things as well since it is labeled coaxial.