Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#269901 - 16/11/2005 18:15 Awesome new game
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I just downloaded and played the Windows demo for "Need for Speed: Most Wanted".

I am so buying this one.

One of my favorite older games was NFS: Hot Pursuit, and this is all that and more. Except, with motion blurring and high dynamic range lighting, and the light from the sunset glinting off the road surface, and running roadblocks, and hiding from the police, and knocking down water towers so they crash down on your pursuers...

The mode in the demo that's the most mind-blowing is the third challenge mode. You basically goad the cops into putting up roadblocks to stop you. Then, after blasting through six roadblocks, you've got to evade them so they lose track of you, then hide until the timer runs out. But what's coolest is the environment. It's the most detailed environment I've seen in a racing game so far. I've played it dozens of times, and I keep finding new places in the city to go. And that's just the one map included in the demo.

#269902 - 16/11/2005 18:27 Re: Awesome new game [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
What's the level of realism in this one? My favorite NFS game was the second one. It was insanely fun and completely unrealistic. Then I tried the third one, and they went for something approaching realism. I personally didn't have as much fun.

Too bad I was never able to get NFSII to work on my later PCs. Maybe I'll try to find it again.

#269903 - 16/11/2005 19:09 Re: Awesome new game [Re: tfabris]
visuvius
addict

Have you got a wheel tony? What do you use?

#269904 - 16/11/2005 19:11 Re: Awesome new game [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
What's the level of realism in this one?

If you mean realism in the driving physics, well, they're clearly trying to strike a balance between Grand Prix Legends and SuperSprint. It's arcade-y with a few slight nods to realism.

The physics feel very similar to Need For Speed: Underground, with some tweaks to make the cop-pursuit mode more balanced. Oversteer in a RWD car feels about right, especially if you panic and romp on the throttle trying to correct, you end up spinning around back towards your pursuers.

Your car doesn't change its handling when it's damaged, that's been a standard of the NFS franchise for a while. But the damage modeling looks cool. One of the coolest things is when you ram a log truck and the logs come tumbling off, hopefully thwarting your pursuers. I've also escaped cops trying to block me in by running under a logging truck.

The cop cars are much more solid than the civilian cars, and ramming a civilian car head-on doesn't make you completely lose control like it did in NFS:Underground. In fact, you start using the "ram civvy" strategy to turn them into obstacles for your pursuers to avoid.

Edit: Oh, and my whole point to this thread was to encourage others to try the downloadable demo. If you're interested in knowing what the physics are like, then try it for yourself.

#269905 - 16/11/2005 19:14 Re: Awesome new game [Re: visuvius]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Have you got a wheel tony? What do you use?

Actually, I'm using my Nintendo Gamecube controller. This is an arcade racer after all.

I've got it configured so that the right trigger is the throttle, and when you press the right trigger all the way down to the floor and engage the little button at the bottom of the trigger's travel, that button is the NOS. So it feels really cool to romp on the straightaways and push into the NOS. it's like engaging afterburner or something.

#269906 - 16/11/2005 19:40 Re: Awesome new game [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Edit: Oh, and my whole point to this thread was to encourage others to try the downloadable demo. If you're interested in knowing what the physics are like, then try it for yourself.

True, but this is a quick way to determine if I'm interested. I'm really not a racing fan, at least not of ones like this. In my mind, the pinnacle of racing games is Mario Kart. That's fun for me Obviously I know that this isn't Mario Kart, but NFSII was pretty much the same thing with "real" cars and no weapons.

#269907 - 19/11/2005 23:05 Re: Awesome new game [Re: tfabris]
DeadFire
addict

This game is also on my list. Actually I'm waiting for it to show up. I've been playing the demo with my Gamecube controller as well, but it keeps crashing every few races. When I use any other controller, this doesn't happen.

I've recently read that there are a lot of people out there having problems with the Skillz Gamecube Adapter that I am using. In fact I have experienced some of them. Of the 4 Gamecube controllers I have, only one works perfectly. One has glitches on one of the shoulder triggers (the axis) and the C-Stick. With another, the car is constantly turning left slightly. And the 4th controller just doesn't work at all.

Are you using the same adapter? And if so, have you had any problems or gone through any trouble shooting steps to get yours working well?

#269908 - 20/11/2005 00:50 Re: Awesome new game [Re: DeadFire]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Ah.

I bought the Skillz adapter AND the super joybox 13, and tried both. I could never get the skillz to work right. I've been using the super joybox 13 all this time.

#269909 - 20/11/2005 16:14 Re: Awesome new game [Re: tfabris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Given I'm still playing NFS2 (currently 80% through) I'm holding off getting it for another couple of weeks otherwise I'll probably not finish NFS2. I've watched a couple of the demo videos and the only thing that I was concerned about was wether my GFX card was going to be good enough. I still haven't gotten round to upgrading yet.

Andy M

#269910 - 21/11/2005 13:08 Re: Awesome new game [Re: andym]
DeadFire
addict

The sysreqs are actually not very demanding compared some recent FPS releases.

Quote:
MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS (For Demo)
* OS - Windows XP/2000
* Processor - Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent 1.4 GHz
* Memory - 256MB RAM
* Hard Drive - 1.0 GB
* CD Drive - 8 SPEED (Demo Disc only)
* Video Card - 32MB*
* Sound Card - DirectX 9.0c compatible
* DirectX - Version 9.0 c
* Online - Broadband; 2-4 Players
* Input - Keyboard, mouse or USB Steering Wheel/Gamepad
* DirectX 9.0c is included on this disc and may require the latest drivers for your video and sound card.
* Supported video cards: NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX/GTS or greater, ATI Radeon 7500 or greater; Intel 950/i915g; S3 GammaChrome S18 Pro. Laptop models of these chipsets are not supported.

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS (For Commercial Release Product)
* CPU: 1.4 GHz or faster
* RAM: 256 MB or more
* Disc Drive: 8x or faster CD/DVD drive
* Hard Drive: 3 GB or more free space
* Video: DirectX 9.0c compatible (see right)
* Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible
* Input: Keyboard, mouse, or USB Steering Wheel/Gamepad
* Video card with 32 MB or more memory and one of these chipsets is required: ATI Radeon 7500 or greater; ATI Radeon Xpress 200; NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/GTS or greater; Intel 950/i915g; S3 GammaChrome S18 Pro
* Multiplayer requires 1 set of discs per PC and a broadband (Cable, DSL, or faster) connection.
* Internet or LAN (2-4 players)

#269911 - 21/11/2005 16:32 Re: Awesome new game [Re: DeadFire]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah, but some of the things that make that particular game so awesome are related to the high-end video features: Motion blurring, high dynamic range lighting, and high-polygon environments.

#269912 - 21/11/2005 19:50 Re: Awesome new game [Re: tfabris]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
Reflections on the cars that don't update but four times/sec.
Lighting that doesn't work in the rear-view mirror.

Cross-platform games (console and PC) usually suck on the PC. This one doesn't suck, but it also isn't perfect.

#269913 - 28/11/2005 16:35 Re: Awesome new game [Re: tfabris]
Schido
enthusiast

Loc: Probably lost somewhere in Wal...
Playing it now.

Just love it, they let out the things i didn't like about underground AND added some hot pursuit stuff, what more would you want?

Started out with a gamepad, because my old thrustmaster wheel wouldn't work, but bought a new one today: logitech driving force pro
It is intended for ps2, but they been so kind to include it in the latest wingman drivers.
So nice to feel when you're losing grip again, and i love the feeling when you jump.

Oh and andy, you mean nfs underground 2, right?

Quote:
Given I'm still playing NFS2 (currently 80% through)

I played every need for speed game there was after nfs3 (hot pusuit 1)

oh and i miss motorcity online in that wikipedia list, i played that too.
Empeg Mk1 #00177, 2.00 final, hijack 4.76