Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#276467 - 26/02/2006 21:24 Audio delay software?
newguy1
enthusiast

Loc: Massachusetts,USA
Does anyone know of any software that will let me add a delay to a part of a wav file or an MP3 file?

Here is the idea I have::
I use the Time alignment feature in hijack and it works well to adjust the left and right channel but not between the speakers of either channel .So while the mid/woofers may be "aligned" the tweeters are not.
Seeing how my tweeters and mids are always in the same location, I thought if I could adjust for the difference to the files themselves.Sort of a preprocessed file.
For instance apply a different delay to the 3khz to 20khz band of the left channel tweeter and a different delay to the 100hz to 3khz band of the left channel mid/woofer.Then they would be in "alignment"Then the same to the right channel.Then just use Hijacks time alignment for overall left and right.

#276468 - 26/02/2006 22:13 Re: Audio delay software? [Re: newguy1]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
That's a lot of time and trouble for something you could do with an off the shelf audio processor. My understanding is that devices like BBE processors do that sort of thing. I know they make that kind of stuff for car audio.

And would it really make enough of an audible difference (especially when talking about MP3 files) to be worth all that trouble? The soundstage image is mostly controlled by phase details in the left/right domain anyway. When you're dealing with a source file that's only stereo to begin with, trying to affect time domain information for front/back would be an exercise in frustration.

#276469 - 26/02/2006 22:17 Re: Audio delay software? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Hm, I'm having trouble finding BBE processors made for the car. I remember they used to do that sort of thing, but I don't see any online any more. Now it's just existing decks with BBE circuitry built-in.

Maybe what you're looking for is a two-stereo solution, with your empeg being piped into an aftermarket stereo with BBE and/or front-rear delay built-in.

#276470 - 27/02/2006 01:50 Re: Audio delay software? [Re: tfabris]
newguy1
enthusiast

I only have a front speaker setup so I don't have to worry about the rears.
I don't think it would be that much trouble. I have to currently rip my cd's and convert to mp3 now so maybe it could be done at the same time.Maybe a plugin for Lame or EAC.

I thought Alpine made a processor some years ago that did something similar.

#276471 - 27/02/2006 05:39 Re: Audio delay software? [Re: tfabris]
natewhip
Quiet One

Loc: Idaho
there are many after market decks that have time allignment features. I know that Alpine makes decks that will allow you to do what you are wanting to do. I also know that Eclipse will allow you to do the same thing. My Eclipse deck that I recently purchased came with a microphone and will time allign the mids and tweets seperatly this can be done eithre manually or with the use of the microphone.

#276472 - 27/02/2006 06:11 Re: Audio delay software? [Re: newguy1]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Okay, well because you're asking to alter the music files so that they will only sound good when you're sitting in your specific car with your specific speakers, I doubt you'll see a CD ripper program with that feature available.

I wouldn't be surprised to see phase correction plug-ins for professional multitrack audio editing programs like Cakewalk and Logic Audio. You could also, theoretically, do it without a plug-in, in just about any multitrack audio editor, like so:

- Put the song into track 1, stereo.

- Put a copy of the song into track 2, stereo.

- Put a high pass filter on track 1, and a low pass filter on track 2. Adjusting the crossover points will be tricky so that you don't put a hole or a peak in the overall EQ curve, but it's do-able if you know the parameters for the filters.

- Whichever track you want to be delayed for a bit, shift that track forward in time by the appropriate number of milliseconds.

- Bounce that down into a regular stereo WAVE file and encode it with LAME.

- Repeat a few thousand times.

#276473 - 28/02/2006 00:01 Re: Audio delay software? [Re: tfabris]
newguy1
enthusiast

Thank you,
sometimes I need someone to show me the craziness of my ideas. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.