Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#285987 - 25/08/2006 04:28 Xbox / PC dilemma
MarkH

So the offspring has been nagging for a console for a while,and I have finally buckled. But just before taking an Xbox to the checkout counter I paused and wondered if it might be a better long term idea to get a small dedicated PC instead.

As I see it, the key comparisons are be that it would be a higher hardware cost (no MS subsidy), an approx equal software cost for the games, but a wider range of games and a higher quality video / audio output. But is it possible to replicate completely the ease of use of a dedicated console with things like wireless controllers and other peripherals and have it All Just Work ?

I'm guessing that there are a hundred varieties of sites along the lines MyPCIsWayBetterThanYourConsoleAndHeresWhy.com - but any pointers to recommended reading ?

Thanks

Mark

#285988 - 25/08/2006 05:02 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: MarkH]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I suppose the next questions are:

- What are you going to use it for?

- If the answer is "playing games", then it's just a question of which games are your favorites.

I've had my PC hooked up to the television set for the last week or two, and I've really enjoyed playing games this way. In fact, it's kind of made me less interested in getting an xbox right away because now I'm enjoying my games widescreen on a nice big LCD, just like the xbox displays in the stores.

The only thing is, there are some games you can't get on the PC. Like, I'd love to play Halo 2 right now, but can't, since I don't own an Xbox.

There are a lot of games that are the same, such as Need For Speed Most Wanted, which is one of my current favorites. After finding an online resolution patcher, I can run it in 16:9 widescreen and it works great. I've found that a lot of games which don't have widescreen support by default can be patched for it by third party tools.

On the other hand, I'm playing a lot of Counter-Strike Source, and you just can't do that kind of thing properly on an Xbox. First person shooters are mediocre at best with a joystick, keyboard+mouse feel so much more natural.

If you're talking about doing other things with the Xbox/PC combination, such as watching movies, just get a good DVD player and a Tivo and be done with it.

#285989 - 25/08/2006 05:29 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: tfabris]
MarkH

Tony

Thanks for that. It's just going to be for games. And I see that both Saitek and Logitech have the wireless stuff available, so it looks like it could be viable.

Regards

Mark

#285990 - 25/08/2006 06:14 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: MarkH]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Re-reading the thread, I have another comment:

Your original post said that it was your offspring nagging you. I missed that part the first time around. The offspring are going to want Xbox games period. Because that's what all their friends are playing. You might not necessarily keep them satisfied with a PC.

#285991 - 25/08/2006 06:17 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Oh, and I'm assuming that in all of your calculations, you're got a nice flatscreen widescreen HDTV with lots of inputs for DVI/HDMI, Component, and VGA, right?

Because without those inputs, the newest Xbox and the latest PC video cards aren't going to be very helpful.

#285992 - 25/08/2006 08:28 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: tfabris]
MarkH

Yeah, I have the TV thing covered. But it's an excellent point on the peer group - I'll have to do some more focus group research there.

Cheers

Mark

#285993 - 25/08/2006 09:12 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: MarkH]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
If you are only getting one console I would get a PS2 because there are way more good games available for it and they are cheap too.

Matt

#285994 - 25/08/2006 09:38 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: msaeger]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:
If you are only getting one console I would get a PS2 because there are way more good games available for it and they are cheap too.

I think we are talking about the Xbox 360 here. In which case, it is not sensible to compare consoles of different generations. High Def, Live! gaming etc is not in the PS2's domain since it is about 6 years old.

#285995 - 25/08/2006 10:18 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: sein]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
High Def, Live! gaming etc is not in the PS2's domain since it is about 6 years old.

But it does have Guitar Hero, which is worth the cost of the PS2, game and controller all by itself, even for only the one game.

#285996 - 25/08/2006 10:29 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: Roger]
Schido
enthusiast

Loc: Probably lost somewhere in Wal...
We had that on pc too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quest_for_Fame

I still have that guitar pick with wire lying somewhere, i think it was for the paralel port. Should i try to find it and bring it to the bring and buy? :-)
Empeg Mk1 #00177, 2.00 final, hijack 4.76

#285997 - 25/08/2006 10:33 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: Roger]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Seconded! Remember Guitar Hero 2 is coming out very soon.

It ain't a first person shoot em up or a driving game (which are my two favourite genres) but I think GH is the best game of all time... partly for the reason that it can be played by EVERYBODY (caveat..arms, hands and fingers are necessary)

Trying to persuade my brother to buy it too - so we can play head to head. And I'm really going to try to get one of my songs on GH3!
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#285998 - 25/08/2006 10:34 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: MarkH]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
But it's an excellent point on the peer group - I'll have to do some more focus group research there.

Cheers

Mark

I can't stress the importance of that enough. In my childhood being an Electron owner in a sea of Speccy owners made me social leper.

Not that matters to me now as the majority of them still work at ASDA....

Andy M

#285999 - 25/08/2006 10:48 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: frog51]
Schido
enthusiast

Look what i found, an opensource guitar hero clone for windows or linux:

http://louhi.kempele.fi/~skyostil/uv/fretsonfire/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frets_on_Fire

Edited by Schido (25/08/2006 11:06)

#286000 - 25/08/2006 10:59 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: frog51]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
it can be played by EVERYBODY (caveat..arms, hands and fingers are necessary)

I found eyes quite useful, too.

#286001 - 25/08/2006 11:28 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: andym]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Quote:
But it's an excellent point on the peer group - I'll have to do some more focus group research there.

Cheers

Mark

I can't stress the importance of that enough. In my childhood being an Electron owner in a sea of Speccy owners made me social leper.

Not that matters to me now as the majority of them still work at ASDA....

Ditto, although from a newer generation. I was one of those Sega Master System kids. I loved it, but nobody I talk to now has/had one, and I'm not well versed on NES games.

Also, you don't want your kids always nagging you when their "game console" doesn't work. It's a computer, after all. It'll take them several minutes of booting up before they can play their games, they'll have Windows Update nagging them, etc.

My vote is for the 360. If it's just for games, that's the way to go. Personally, I'm waiting for the Wii (latest rumor is late September, though I'm suspecting November). I normally don't go for the top consoles in each generation, but the 360 has impressed me a lot. I've heard nothing but good things. Of course, I played a demo unit with that "racing game with guns" and somehow within 10 minutes I got glitched outside the track and was driving on unrendered streets. I eventually fell through the ground and watched the world spiral away above me. That was weird.

#286002 - 25/08/2006 12:09 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: Dignan]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I got glitched outside the track and was driving on unrendered streets. I eventually fell through the ground and watched the world spiral away above me. That was weird.

I managed to do that with Burnout 3 on the original Xbox, after about 6 months of playing it. I got rammed by another car, knocked through some sort of wormhole in the crash barrier and then had to drive around on the wrong side of the sky.

#286003 - 25/08/2006 13:42 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: Schido]
Schido
enthusiast

Ok, i tried frets on fire, not my type of game.
But the tutorial is extremely funny

#286004 - 25/08/2006 14:54 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: MarkH]
visuvius
addict

I would go the console route. I'm a PC person myself (for now), but I think for a kid, consoles are probably better. I think it is important to know how old the kid is. He might have a lot more fun with the upcoming Wii ,or even the Gamecube then the xbox.

Consider age and then check out the various games available.

#286005 - 25/08/2006 15:37 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: MarkH]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
But is it possible to replicate completely the ease of use of a dedicated console with things like wireless controllers and other peripherals and have it All Just Work ?

Simply put, no. This list of steps to game on either platform should point out why:

Game Console:
1. Buy one console from the store, some games, an extra controller or two.
2. Unbox products, plug into power, TV, and possibly internet.
3. Power on console, set the audio and video options, one time setup.
4. Put in a game disc, wait about 30 seconds to a minute, then play the game.
5. Repeat step 4 for any games. Buy a new console in 5-6 years when the next ones come out.

PC Gaming:
1. Decide on building a PC or buying a premade one
2. Shop around for the best price on components or complete systems. Read several hardware sites to find out what will work the best for the current games.
3. Assemble components to build a PC, or wait on a premade system to be built and shipped.
4. Install Windows if going the build it yourself route, otherwise boot windows on the premade system and strip out all the bundled crap.
5. Spend time upgrading the video drivers, Direct X, and sound drivers.
6. Buy a game, and insert the disc. Spend 15 minutes swapping CDs, since few games actually ship on a DVD.
7. Hunt down the newest update for the game on the vendors website, or hope the game has an autoupdate.
8. Plug in the game controller and start the game.
9. Spend more time configuring the game to use the controller instead of the keyboard and mouse. Also configure video options to run smoothly on the hardware you own.
10. Every month or two, spend time doing steps 5 & 7.
11. After a year or two, start looking into upgrades for the PC to keep it in top gaming condition, as the PC games are starting to demand more of the hardware then what you have.
12. Fork out enough money to buy a complete new system over the next 3 or so years, since the PC industry changes CPU sockets, memory interfaces, or graphics slots enough to change that simple upgrade into a major replacement of most parts.

PC gaming isn't all bad. But "just works" isn't a description I'd apply to it.

#286006 - 25/08/2006 16:15 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Or to just put what Tom said into less words:

Software for a desktop PC isn't designed to be easily used in a console-like fashion.

That's it (and includes both OS and content). If you want to play more than one or two games then go with the dedicated console. There's just not a single "pro" in favor of a traditional PC when it comes to gaming in the living room.

#286007 - 25/08/2006 16:36 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
There's just not a single "pro" in favor of a traditional PC when it comes to gaming in the living room.

Unless the games you want to play are only available on PC, or the games are the kind that are most fun with a mouse and keyboard.

Then again, for those games, you could just play them sitting at your computer desk.

So yeah, consoles are best for the living room.

#286008 - 25/08/2006 17:10 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
There's just not a single "pro" in favor of a traditional PC when it comes to gaming in the living room.
...especially when kids are the ones gaming.

#286009 - 25/08/2006 19:17 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: Schido]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
Look what i found, an opensource guitar hero clone for windows or linux:

http://louhi.kempele.fi/~skyostil/uv/fretsonfire/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frets_on_Fire

Wow, what a great game! Just been playing it at work on my Laptop (slow night).

You definitely have to have a seperate keyboard to get the feel right. After trying a couple of keyboards that were lying around (a really slow night) I settled on a Dell SK-8115.

The lack of a border around the key area really seemed to help.

Attachments
286585-keyboard.jpg (101 downloads)

#286010 - 26/08/2006 01:08 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: sein]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I disagree. I don't care what generation it is I just want fun games and the PS2 has way more good games than the 360 ever will.

Matt

#286011 - 26/08/2006 07:02 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: msaeger]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Yeah, I agree to disagree

Although the PS2 has many quality games, I find that there is also a huge amount of trash for it as well. The main thing is that I think without online multiplayer play, it can't be as much fun as the Xbox/PS3/Wii/DS/PSP can be.

#286012 - 26/08/2006 09:14 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: Schido]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Look what i found, an opensource guitar hero clone for windows or linux

Of course, from those crazy finns who started the Air Guitar World Championships... And Lordi...

Edited by robricc (26/08/2006 14:19)

#286013 - 28/08/2006 14:27 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: sein]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
without online multiplayer play, it can't be as much fun

Actually, for me, it's likely to be more fun without online play. I meet enough jerks in real life to bother with them when I'm trying to have fun.

In addition, it seems that a lot of games these days are geared only for online play and the single-player mode is barely bothered with. Which means that they're games I don't want. If the console doesn't really have an online connection method, then games that are produced for it can't fall back on the assumption that "it'll be fun when you play it with other people".

#286014 - 28/08/2006 15:24 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: msaeger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I disagree. I don't care what generation it is I just want fun games and the PS2 has way more good games than the 360 ever will.

Wow, that's quite a fanboy statement

While that's subjective and you're free to your opinion, I believe it's fact that when it comes to kids, it's going to be about the current product, not one that's 6 years old. There are a lot of great games out there for the PS2, but there will be great games for the current systems as well.

Quote:
I meet enough jerks in real life

I'm in agreement with everything Bitt said. I've never liked online gaming and probably never will. And Bitt, your statement about single-player gaming is very true. There has been a real decline since online FPS games and MMO's got so big. I almost resent WOW, because I probably won't ever see Warcraft 4.

#286015 - 28/08/2006 17:54 Re: Xbox / PC dilemma [Re: Dignan]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Perhaps instead of Warcraft 4 we will get Starcraft 2?

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons