Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#287881 - 06/10/2006 12:59 MacBook Build Quality?
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Thinking of one of these but would like to get some views on them. Are there any build issues that are likely to get sorted soon? Will be new Intel chips soon be in them - Core 2 Duo?

Any other opinions would be great!

Cheers

#287882 - 06/10/2006 13:14 Re: MacBook Build Quality? [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
This may be helpful.

The MacBook specs seem nice to me, but a lot of the problems scare me. I'm used to my Samsung-built Dell X200 that's light, silent, made of metal, cool-running, and has never given me a single problem. The MacBooks seem like the opposite.... plasticy, noisy, very hot, and has display issues (backlight uniformity and artifacts). The one-button mouse thing is also a huge hurdle to overcome.

#287883 - 06/10/2006 13:24 Re: MacBook Build Quality? [Re: robricc]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Thanks Rob, very handy.

Wow thats a big list isn't it

Hmmm perhaps I'll hold off getting one of these for now.

#287884 - 06/10/2006 14:11 Re: MacBook Build Quality? [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Hmmmmmm, I think a few of the problems in that list are slightly over stated.

I have been using my macbook now for a few months.

I would say the sharp edge problem is quite a good one, I do notice marks on my wrists if using the keyboard for a length of time and this can become painful. I solved this by going back to my bluetooth keyboard, and the built in one is fine for mobile use.

Heat is another problem, although I have never found it to be hot enough not to have it on my lap, this was made better with the last firmware update. It still gets quite hot at the back, but the fan only really ramps up whenusing things like final cut pro.

That list could be twice as long for all I care. I get a OSX and XP laptop in one with the MacBook, this has come in handy plenty of times now I have started my degree course again (until that point I found botcamp pretty useless). It is still way better than any other laptop I have played with recently, I would go check one out for yourself at an Apple Store if you can. Don't listen to all the internet moaners go and make your own mind up.

Cheers

Cris.

#287885 - 06/10/2006 16:42 Re: MacBook Build Quality? [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
I like my Macbook a lot. Heat and noise issues are all gone now, the screen is lovely and everything is just the right size. It feels quite robust, and it is fast and well priced too. The only tiny gripe I have is the button for the trackpad is unresponsive and naff, so I have just been tap-clicking and avoiding it.

As Cris says, play around with one for a little while and make up your own mind.

#287886 - 06/10/2006 17:59 Re: MacBook Build Quality? [Re: sein]
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Well, my wife's MacBook is 'under repair' as we speak. It is suffering from the random shutdown problem. Until this problem cropped up, we loved it! Repair guy says it should repaired on Monday. I think you can find a list of serial number that the shutdown problem applies to over at the forums at macrumors.com This problem only affected the first batch of them.