Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#289557 - 08/11/2006 22:14 Simple (I hope) Excel question
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Bank of America, bless their hearts, re-did their website and at the same time changed the format of the information I download with my credit card transactions. I have multi-year year history of my transactions that I keep in an Excel spreadsheet that is over 1,000 rows long now. The new format is incompatible with my existing data because they apparently decided that showing charges as positive numbers and credits as negative numbers was too confusing and they reversed them.

OK, it's not too difficult to add another column to my spreadsheet that contains new cells along the line of "=G1002*-1", but that leaves me with a column full of formulas, and I do other manipulations on the data such that I would prefer to have the actual value in the cell rather than the formula that creates the value.

The "Value" function doesn't do what I need, like: =value(G1002*-1) because it still leaves the formula in the cell, rather than just the actual value. I suppose I could go through the existing rows line by line and manually change the sign on each value and then just go with B of A's new format from now on, but I'd prefer to keep things the way they were.

I seem to recall a function in Excel to convert formulas in cells to the actual value created by the formula, but I can't find it, or perhaps I am thinking of some other program.

Does anybody know of such a function?

tanstaafl.

#289558 - 08/11/2006 22:19 Re: Simple (I hope) Excel question [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
If you type in a formula, you'll always have a formula. What you want to do, most likely, is create a row with the formulas, select and copy those cells, then select a new row you want to paste them in, right click and select "Paste Special...". It'll give you a dialog box. Click the "Values" radio button and then click "OK". You'll have a new row with the new values.

You can then delete the old rows and replace the original data with the new data in the new row.

#289559 - 08/11/2006 22:21 Re: Simple (I hope) Excel question [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

All that being said, I can't imagine what you could possibly be doing within Excel that would prevent you from having those numbers calculated by formula. When you reference another cell, Excel does its thing on the value, not the formula.

I think it would make more sense to keep the data as is and just add a new row with the inversed numbers as a formula.

#289560 - 09/11/2006 20:43 Re: Simple (I hope) Excel question [Re: wfaulk]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Quote:
All that being said, I can't imagine what you could possibly be doing within Excel that would prevent you from having those numbers calculated by formula. ...I think it would make more sense to keep the data as is and just add a new row with the inversed numbers as a formula.

Ummm, no, I can't do that because I have several columns over 1000 rows long with the original signage, and I can't add in new rows with inversed numbers and still have any of my sum functions return proper values. If I put the new data with changed signage into a different column, I won't be able to sum them either. So I have to have the new data with reversed signage in the original column. Keeping the cell data as formulas causes difficulty because the data depends on reference to that intermediate column that reversed the signage, and that intermediate column is, by its nature, temporary.

Your suggestion of "Paste Special" is excellent, and in fact is exactly the same suggestion that Paul Grzelak gave me about an hour before I saw yours. That will work, and I can probably set up a macro on my programmable keyboard that will do it all for me with a single keystroke.

As always, thanks for the help on this. I just knew that I had seen something, somewhere in Excel that let me substitute returned value for the formula, even if it is a two-step process.

tanstaafl.

#289561 - 10/11/2006 17:31 Re: Simple (I hope) Excel question [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I can't add in new rows with inversed numbers and still have any of my sum functions return proper values

Generally speaking, if you do an "Insert Columns" action, it will update all of your formulas automatically.

#289562 - 10/11/2006 19:10 Re: Simple (I hope) Excel question [Re: wfaulk]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I can't add in new rows with inversed numbers and still have any of my sum functions return proper values

Quote:
Generally speaking, if you do an "Insert Columns" action, it will update all of your formulas automatically.

Right.

But to clarify and simplify... Let's say I have about eight columns of data, one of which contains several years worth of dollar amounts, negative for the charges, positive for the payments. Now all of a sudden, the dollar amounts I am downloading have signs reversed. Those amounts need to go into the same column as the other dollar amounts so they can be summed (among other things) but for that to happen, the signs on the new data first have to be reversed. So far the only way to do that is to add another column somewhere as an intermediate step in the sign reversal process. I really don't want to keep that intermediate column after the signs are reversed, it just clutters up things and offends my sense of tidiness, but I can't delete it because it is what generates the formula that would be in the original data column in place of the actual dollar amounts.

So here's what I'll do. I'll import the data somewhere out of the way in the spreadsheet, do my sign reversal and paste special to get the numbers the way I want them, get the columns arranged the way I want (not the same as the download structure) and then copy and paste the new data to where it belongs in the body of the spreadsheet. With my programmable keyboard I can probably set up to do this with just a couple of keystrokes and half a dozen mouse clicks, and I only have to do it once a month or so.

tanstaafl.

#289563 - 10/11/2006 19:16 Re: Simple (I hope) Excel question [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Oh, because you have an automated import of the new data and you need to keep the same column structure. Fair enough. I'd probably still do it differently, but I really hate changing original data. Perhaps too much so.

#289564 - 10/11/2006 22:52 Re: Simple (I hope) Excel question [Re: tanstaafl.]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Perhaps it's time to switch the signage of the old to match the new.

#289565 - 10/11/2006 23:43 Re: Simple (I hope) Excel question [Re: gbeer]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Perhaps it's time to switch the signage of the old to match the new.

Admittedly that would be the sensible thing to do... but I just don't like looking at my spreadhseet if 95% of the data is negative numbers. It makes more sense to me to have the charges accumulate as positive numbers, since the object of the spreadsheet is to add up and categorize all the charges, and the payments go in as negatives to reduce the balance. Silly, I know, but it just "feels" better to me that way.

Perhaps Bank of America made the change to make their downloads more compatible with Quicken or something. In any case, the "Paste Special" trick will solve my problem nicely. Thanks Paul and Bitt!

tanstaafl.

#289566 - 11/11/2006 19:16 Re: Simple (I hope) Excel question [Re: tanstaafl.]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
There is also custom formatting where you can make excel lie about the sign, or have blue for expenses and green for payments, no sign at all - except when you need to hand key values.

Edited by gbeer (11/11/2006 19:17)

#289567 - 18/11/2006 11:41 Re: Simple (I hope) Excel question [Re: gbeer]
rubennyc

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Just curious, have you considered using Quicken instead? I've been a Bank of America customer through two name changes (Summit -> Fleet -> BoA) and Quicken hasn't missed a beat.

#289568 - 18/11/2006 14:38 Re: Simple (I hope) Excel question [Re: rubennyc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Unless you're a Mac user. They don't support Quicken on the Mac for some reason. Every other bank I deal with does.

#289569 - 20/11/2006 03:43 Re: Simple (I hope) Excel question [Re: rubennyc]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Just curious, have you considered using Quicken instead?

Yes, that would work, Quicken is one of the formats I can save the data into. But I have never used Quicken, and Luddite that I am, don't really want to purchase, install, and learn to use yet another computer program.

I am pretty good with Excel, and the analyzing I have to do on the data is pretty minimal, to the point where Quicken would probably be overkill. Plus, should I need to do something weird with the data (like sum all of the charges within a given date range that can be attributed to a particular family member) the sheer power built into Excel is hard to beat. For all I know, Quicken could do the same... but I already know how to do things like that in Excel.

tanstaafl.

#289570 - 20/11/2006 12:20 Re: Simple (I hope) Excel question [Re: tanstaafl.]
rubennyc

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I see it as a matter of personal style: Quicken is stupid simple to use and has a lot of great customizable reports that I use every year during tax season. Excel gives you the maximum power and flexibility to do whatever you want with your data (Feels odd using those words to describe a Microsoft product, but hey it's pretty damn good.)

Seems to me you'd probably be able to learn Quicken in about 20 minutes, and it's cheap (US$29).

Though, I imagine trying to import your existing data into Quicken might be a major project if you have a lot of custom fields. I've never tried it so can't comment.