Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#295833 - 23/03/2007 16:05 Exchange servers and IMAP, any reason to have it off?
drakino
carpal tunnel

Is there any good reasons for having IMAP off on an Exchange server? I'm switching to the Mac at my work, and mail is the last issue. I have Entourage working via the webdav mail server they have, but it has some problems. Specifically, any message sent to me with "..." in the subject is inaccessible. Trying it via the actual webmail interface (OWA) results in a 404, due to the server using URLs with the subject in them. (Side rant, I find it amusing that an expensive web mail client provided with Exchange server can't read all the mail a user might have, but yet something free like SquirrelMail has no problems).

The best solution would be to use IMAP over WebDAV to access the mail, also opening the door to use the OS X Mail app. I'm really wanting to kick Entourage to the curb for lacking such basic features as "Customize Toolbar". The problem is, the server admin says "there are several reasons for IMAP being disabled" but doesn't provide a reason why. Beyond the additional overhead of running the IMAP service, is there any issues that would crop up on an Exchange server with it on? It seemed to work fine at HP, never saw any problems, and never had complaints from IT when I used it.

#295834 - 23/03/2007 16:15 Re: Exchange servers and IMAP, any reason to have it off? [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I have never seen any problems with it, other than the fact that it seems to not like to restart on reboot. Other than that, it (obviously) doesn't support Exchange-specific stuff, like calendaring, voting via email, etc.

#295835 - 23/03/2007 16:19 Re: Exchange servers and IMAP, any reason to have it off? [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

On the other hand, I don't have a problem with Outlook Web Access and emails whose subjects contain either three contiguous periods or ellipses.

#295836 - 23/03/2007 16:22 Re: Exchange servers and IMAP, any reason to have it off? [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
it seems to not like to restart on reboot.

If there wasn't a solution to that one, that'd definitely make me delete it from my servers. Wow.

I'm surprised about the Exchange Webmail thing where it can't read all of its own mail. There's probably a KB article on that one if you hunted for it.

#295837 - 23/03/2007 16:26 Re: Exchange servers and IMAP, any reason to have it off? [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yeah, it's really irritating, especially because there is an IMAP service, plus another thing in the Exchange System Manager, both of which have to be turned on. (Took me quite a while to figure that out.) It's only the System Manager one that fails.

#295838 - 23/03/2007 16:30 Re: Exchange servers and IMAP, any reason to have it off? [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Does it result in any specific error events in the system log when it fails to start?

#295839 - 23/03/2007 16:39 Re: Exchange servers and IMAP, any reason to have it off? [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yeah, it's this one. I haven't bothered "fixing" it yet.

#295840 - 23/03/2007 17:38 Re: Exchange servers and IMAP, any reason to have it off? [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I'm surprised about the Exchange Webmail thing where it can't read all of its own mail. There's probably a KB article on that one if you hunted for it.

I did a quick search and didn't find much. Admittedly though I didn't spend a ton of time on it since I'm not working for the ops team. Time searching for an exchange server is better spent serving my game team instead.

This whole issue would be moot if our office had it's own mail server. The local ops guys would be more then happy to enable it, but for some reason all our mail sits on servers several states over.

#295841 - 23/03/2007 17:47 Re: Exchange servers and IMAP, any reason to have it off? [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

You know, it's possible that they're concerned about increased load. I don't know how Outlook/Exchange does message searching, but IMAP can offload searches to the server.

#295842 - 23/03/2007 17:49 Re: Exchange servers and IMAP, any reason to have it off? [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

#295843 - 23/03/2007 18:00 Re: Exchange servers and IMAP, any reason to have it off? [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
You know, it's possible that they're concerned about increased load. I don't know how Outlook/Exchange does message searching, but IMAP can offload searches to the server.

If they are concerned about load, I'll be using less with IMAP. I have the maximum number of Outlook Search Folders and still need more. As far as I can tell, search folders actually live on the exchange server and are updated by it, hence a limit. I'll make sure to bring this point up with them.

And thanks for the article, I didn't think to look at IIS articles. Now to see how long the ops team takes to find it.

#295844 - 23/03/2007 18:02 Re: Exchange servers and IMAP, any reason to have it off? [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

It was pretty much the first Google result for "owa ellipsis 404".