Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#302548 - 25/09/2007 23:07 DNS Woes
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Since there are so many networking types here I thought 'd pose this problem. We have recently upgraded webhosts and in the process changed IP addresses pointing to our site. The changes were made on Saturday which was almost 5 days ago now and still the old IP address and MX records are floating about in roughly half the NS entries I've checked. The hosting service is of no help and insists everything is fine, but if that is the case, why arn't the DNS caches of these servers updating? Surely after 5 days they would all be wise to the change? Anyone know what can be done to fix this?

Thanks,
Stu

#302549 - 26/09/2007 03:04 Re: DNS Woes [Re: maczrool]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Try doing the DNSReport, DNS Timings and ISP Cached DNS Lookup at http://www.dnsstuff.com/
Did your DNS host also change?

I've seen ISP's that cache DNS for almost two weeks an other ISP's that have very bad DNS servers this is why I recommend using Treewalk DNS.

#302550 - 26/09/2007 10:18 Re: DNS Woes [Re: Attack]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Thanks for the help. Yes, I had run a DNSreport and there were a couple lines where it failed, but the host insists everything is OK. Running the DNS Timings for A and MX shows an A+ and ISP Cached DNS Lookup shows one cached entry for the wrong DNS. So yes we did also change the DNS host although I had already updated the old DNS host info in case this happened, but the old DNS host is still giving out the old records and many ISPs are still looking to that host for our records. So I think the short term solution is to get our old DNS host to update their records as requested 5 days ago!

Stu

#302551 - 27/09/2007 10:06 Re: DNS Woes [Re: maczrool]
maczrool
pooh-bah

For anyone interested, I was able to use a DIG application and locate the faulty DNS server which as mentioned earlier was our previous DNS server. It was poisoning the records and the operators would not update it, so we cancelled the account and all appears well now.

Stu