Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#303212 - 19/10/2007 07:48 Dust?
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
So, for various reasons, it looks like I'll have to give up the exclusive use of my study, and move my server into the attic.

Question: it's likely to be dusty up there. Any tips?

#303213 - 19/10/2007 08:35 Re: Dust? [Re: Roger]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Heat is more likely to be the issue than dust. Unless all of your roof is in shade the attic will get very, very hot in the summer.

My servers live in the garage and they get all sorts of dust and crap through at them. I have never cleaned the insides of them in the 5 or so years they have been there and they are still going strong* (even though they also regularly see 80% humidity as well).

* ok, so the PSU fan on one makes a nasty noise and 2 of the 8 disks have failed/are failing, but they are still running

#303214 - 19/10/2007 11:39 Re: Dust? [Re: andy]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Heat is more likely to be the issue than dust. Unless all of your roof is in shade the attic will get very, very hot in the summer.

My servers live in the garage and they get all sorts of dust and crap through at them. I have never cleaned the insides of them in the 5 or so years they have been there and they are still going strong* (even though they also regularly see 80% humidity as well).

* ok, so the PSU fan on one makes a nasty noise and 2 of the 8 disks have failed/are failing, but they are still running

Odd idea of still going strong there Andy!

If you give it a good clean before you move everything in and then a regular clean then I don't see it being especially dusty.

#303215 - 19/10/2007 12:15 Re: Dust? [Re: tman]
andy
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:

Odd idea of still going strong there Andy!

Well, the PSU fan started make the noise about 3 years ago and I have had more hard disks fail inside the house in that time than the ones that died/are dying in the garage. So yes I do

Quote:

If you give it a good clean before you move everything in and then a regular clean then I don't see it being especially dusty.

Depends a lot on the construction of the roof, on our 1930s house all sort of crap works its way between the tiles and the timbers. So our loft is very dusty and dirty.

Anyway, as I've said before it is the temperatures that pretty much rules the loft out as a place for servers.

#303216 - 19/10/2007 12:45 Re: Dust? [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Make sure your case fans blow inward. This way, all random holes in the case, from the ones intended to be there to random gaps will have air blowing out of them, which means that they can't suck in dust. That way, you know which holes are sucking in air -- the ones with fans on them -- and you can put filters on them. Of course, this also requires that you check the filters from time to time, and probably clean or replace them, too.

Alternately, if you have a case that's designed to have an in-fan and an out-fan, see if you can make the in-fan blow harder than the out-fan sucks. Basically, you want to make sure you have positive pressure inside the case.

#303217 - 19/10/2007 18:50 Re: Dust? [Re: wfaulk]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Make a decent enclosure (or for £20 or so buy a kitchen cupboard carcass or similar).

Get a cheap thermostat that can switch-to-cool and an extractor fan (get a 150mm/6", not a 100mm/4")

Use some ducting to get to outside (maybe the soffets? - I hired a core drill and drilled through the wall). Orient the fan to suck air from outside and set a temperature.

Voila - a dust-free, temperature controlled server facility in the attic

You could practically run a chip-fab facility in there....

#303218 - 19/10/2007 19:33 Re: Dust? [Re: LittleBlueThing]
andy
carpal tunnel

Half you actually monitored the temperature that you achieved during a decently hot summer ?

#303219 - 20/10/2007 08:18 Re: Dust? [Re: andy]
LittleBlueThing
addict

No - my installation is about 2 weeks old

And mine's not quite as described - I went for plan B and built it in the study into a cupboard unit. I also extract the air instead of intract(?)ing it!

(I was too lazy - the air outside is almost always cooler than inside - especially in a rack - and that way the rack heat is kept in the house rather than being expelled. I'm going to turn my fan around....)

I've had the cupboard shut and set it to 27degrees. There are 3 server PCs a UPS, a switch, a VCR and a Sky box in there. Plus other things. The fan was coming on for about 5 minutes an hour when the room was quite warm. Surprisingly effective.

#303220 - 20/10/2007 08:41 Re: Dust? [Re: LittleBlueThing]
andy
carpal tunnel

Quote:
No - my installation is about 2 weeks old

And mine's not quite as described - I went for plan B and built it in the study into a cupboard unit. I also extract the air instead of intract(?)ing it!

Ah, in that case I'll continue to rant on about lofts and their >45°C summer temperatures (before adding hundreds of watts of server generated heat) as being bad places to put servers

#303221 - 22/10/2007 08:09 Re: Dust? [Re: Roger]
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
Most dust is bits of human skin and stuff. Isn't it likely to be less dusty up there? Unless you have Bart's evil twin brother living up there or something

#303222 - 22/10/2007 10:16 Re: Dust? [Re: andy]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Quote:

Ah, in that case I'll continue to rant on about lofts and their >45°C summer temperatures (before adding hundreds of watts of server generated heat) as being bad places to put servers

Quite right - but when "needs must"... as Roger said.

So if you have no choice then:
* dust - use an enclosure and positive pressure.
* heat - use a thermostat and a source of coolish air

My servers run in an enclosed and insulated box and the extractor fan does a good job of swapping the hot air out - I think that's the main requirement. If we had month after month of 45degree heat then I'd be more worried. As it is I reckon the fan would only be running for a few days a year.

(And, to be clear, I agree that the loft is one of the *last* places I'd suggest for server location (probably better than the bathroom though))

#303223 - 22/10/2007 10:33 Re: Dust? [Re: LittleBlueThing]
andy
carpal tunnel

Quote:
If we had month after month of 45degree heat then I'd be more worried. As it is I reckon the fan would only be running for a few days a year.

(And, to be clear, I agree that the loft is one of the *last* places I'd suggest for server location (probably better than the bathroom though))

...and to be equally clear myself I'm not talking about 45 degree outside I am talking about the heat that the inside of the loft reaches in direct sun.

In my monitoring back in 2005 or whenever it was the temperature in my loft exceeded 45C for hours every day for weeks at a time. It didn't need to be hugely hot outside, just as long as you got a few hours of uninterrupted summer sun.

My garage roof has very similar construction to our house roof, but it isn't in direct sun, so when the loft is at >45C the garage can be <25C. So it obviously does depend a lot on the specific circumstances.