Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#313119 - 20/08/2008 18:49 How to set Toshiba 1.8" drive to slave
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I have an old Toshiba Portege R100 which has an ailing hard drive. I've already procured a replacement and a couple 1.8" 50 pin to 40 pin adapters. The makers of the adpaters thoughtfully omitted a jumper for enabling slave operation, making it impossible to copy from one to the other on the same bus which is going to be the easiest way for me to clone the drive. Does anyone know which of the 50 pins need to be shorted to achieve slave operation. I am a bit confused by this document which shows two different sets of pins (C-D and B-D). Do I do both or one or the other?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Stu

#313120 - 20/08/2008 19:17 Re: How to set Toshiba 1.8" drive to slave [Re: maczrool]
tman
carpal tunnel

You want C-D. B-D is for cable select. Thats why it goes on about pin 28 - CSEL.

#313133 - 21/08/2008 21:04 Re: How to set Toshiba 1.8" drive to slave [Re: tman]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Thanks. I guess I didn't realize what pin 28 meant. I got the drive copied but I ended up using master (through CSEL) because no matter what I tried, I could not share a bus with the Toshiba drives. When something else was on the bus, either the Toshiba drive or the other device would show up as unrecognized, so I had to install a fresh copy of Windows so I could run Acronis and clone from one to the other. Even with the cloning I had several DLLs that were missing on the new drive and had to be manually replaced.

Stu