Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#325905 - 10/09/2009 18:16 US <-> Canada import duties
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I work for a company that has offices in the US and in Canada. I asked our administrative assistant to send an external hard drive to our Ottawa office, where some data will be copied onto it, and then sent back here. It's just a huge chunk of data that is ridiculous to copy over a WAN.

I was asked to provide a price for the drive, at which point it occurred to me that an import duty is probably going to charged.

Now I'm not trying to avoid paying a duty if it's required, but it seems silly to do so in this case. They don't charge a duty when I take my laptop up there.

Is there some special incantation that I can put on the package that states that it will only be there for a few days and then be sent right back?

Edited by wfaulk (10/09/2009 18:18)
Edit Reason: apparently no HTML or non-ascii characters are allowed in the subject

#325910 - 10/09/2009 19:19 Re: US <-> Canada import duties [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Just value it at $20 CAD (maybe use $15 US) and be done with it. If you try to mark it with special instructions along with a high value you'll just be asking for trouble.

You can still include something like "Temporary import" or "Contents will return to US"

The other alternative is to pay the taxes (you won't be charged any other duties) and then try to get them refunded. You won't likely be refunded any handling or brokerage fees however unless the drive is being sent via postal service.

#325915 - 10/09/2009 19:47 Re: US <-> Canada import duties [Re: hybrid8]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Good luck. I've worked peripherally with shipping gear to/from countries for short time periods. Canada is always regarded as the biggest pain to deal with.

Here's what our expediter required for about two pallets worth of assorted electronics that were staying for a one week conference:
Quote:

For the electronic equipment I will need the following pieces of
information:
a. Brand Name
b. Model #/Name
c. Country of Origin
d. Description of equipment
e. FCC ID ... This will be on the back or bottom of the equipment
f. Quantity
g. Serial Number

The email thread I pulled this out of ended with a coworkers request for the serial number on the ptouch labeler.

#325916 - 10/09/2009 20:00 Re: US <-> Canada import duties [Re: matthew_k]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
If you ship the item via USPS and Canada Post you won't need to specify any of that stuff. Just send it as an expedited parcel.

Once you start to get fancy by trying to say that this is a temporary import then you will have to provide all sorts of documents. Believe me, the same is true for such imports into the US, especially when working trade shows.

#325923 - 10/09/2009 23:28 Re: US <-> Canada import duties [Re: hybrid8]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
When USA companies ship stuff to me here in Canada, they have their brokerage service take care of it all. Nobody pays taxes on the shipments.

Note that there is NO duty for goods originating in the USA, but taxes can still be applied without a good brokerage firm.

Cheers

#325947 - 11/09/2009 11:59 Re: US <-> Canada import duties [Re: matthew_k]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: matthew_k
Good luck. I've worked peripherally with shipping gear to/from countries for short time periods. Canada is always regarded as the biggest pain to deal with.

Here's what our expediter required for about two pallets worth of assorted electronics that were staying for a one week conference:
Quote:

For the electronic equipment I will need the following pieces of
information:
a. Brand Name
b. Model #/Name
c. Country of Origin
d. Description of equipment
e. FCC ID ... This will be on the back or bottom of the equipment
f. Quantity
g. Serial Number

The email thread I pulled this out of ended with a coworkers request for the serial number on the ptouch labeler.

I had to fill out that information on every piece of equipment (to include the keyboards and mice) when I was doing international demonstrations. It wasn't just for Canda, but everywhere I went.