Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#334552 - 28/06/2010 16:52 Excel template help
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
Can I get Excel to open up a new workbook based on a particular template from an html page? I can open the template directly but this then assumes that you're wanting to save as a template. It's internal use only so needs only deal with Office 2007 & IE8.

#334580 - 29/06/2010 06:15 Re: Excel template help [Re: tahir]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: tahir
Can I get Excel to open up a new workbook based on a particular template from an html page? I can open the template directly but this then assumes that you're wanting to save as a template. It's internal use only so needs only deal with Office 2007 & IE8.

To clarify: you're wanting to make a .XLT (or .XLTX or .XLTM) file available on a web page, and have it used as a template?

Interestingly, when I try this with Excel 2007 and Chrome, it works fine. With IE8, I see what you describe.

Do the templates have to be on a web page? Can you put them on a UNC and configure Excel to look there for templates? Note that, bizarrely, the template location affects the whole of Office and must be configured in Word's options dialog.

I was hoping that I could point Office at the templates location using WebDAV, but no dice in the few minutes I spent on it.

#334581 - 29/06/2010 07:35 Re: Excel template help [Re: Roger]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
Originally Posted By: Roger
To clarify: you're wanting to make a .XLT (or .XLTX or .XLTM) file available on a web page, and have it used as a template?

Yup

Quote:
Do the templates have to be on a web page?

No

Quote:
Can you put them on a UNC and configure Excel to look there for templates? Note that, bizarrely, the template location affects the whole of Office and must be configured in Word's options dialog.

Well yes, but...

I don't want to affect Office/Excel file locations, this is just a very specific document that has it's own save path on a share accessible by 2 different depts but not in eithers "home" share.

Quote:
I was hoping that I could point Office at the templates location using WebDAV, but no dice in the few minutes I spent on it.

I'm not familiar with WebDAV at all.

I guess an alternative is to point it at a blank workbook based on the template, hmmm.