Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#350100 - 04/02/2012 17:45 Do any iPad browser apps allow direct viewing of images...
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Desktop browsers let you rmb>view image. And view the unsized image directly. iPad's safari and atomic web browsers force me to save the image to the photo app and view them there.

I don't want to go on a buying spree just to find a bunch that don't.

#350173 - 08/02/2012 03:51 Re: Do any iPad browser apps allow direct viewing of images... [Re: gbeer]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Doesn't look like Skyfire does either, the only alternative browser I have on my iPad.

#350220 - 13/02/2012 04:20 Re: Do any iPad browser apps allow direct viewing of images... [Re: drakino]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Atomicweb allows you to long-press and save to "files", which you can then view individually... if that's what you're after?

#350237 - 14/02/2012 01:32 Re: Do any iPad browser apps allow direct viewing of images... [Re: altman]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

I've done that. For a single image it's a bearable way to go.

Metrolistmls.com provides home sales listings w/photos, but the typical h,
gallery stretches/scales all photos to fit a specific landscape size. So photos taken in portrait get stretched. Viewing the image directly in a desktop browser reviles the image in correct ratio and usually larger.

I'd really like an iPad browser that emulates this desktop action. It's simply a matter of speed when browsing thru pics of many houses.

#350247 - 14/02/2012 21:46 Re: Do any iPad browser apps allow direct viewing of images... [Re: gbeer]
altman
carpal tunnel

You can tell atomic web to identify itself as a desktop browser, then you'll get the desktop website?

#350248 - 15/02/2012 00:07 Re: Do any iPad browser apps allow direct viewing of images... [Re: altman]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: altman
You can tell atomic web to identify itself as a desktop browser, then you'll get the desktop website?

Sure, only that dose not change the behavior of a long touch on an image. Atomic web only allows saving the image to the photo app's store. Same as Safari mobile.

#350249 - 15/02/2012 00:30 Re: Do any iPad browser apps allow direct viewing of images... [Re: gbeer]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Ah! There is a workaround.

On iPad:
Long press>choose copy (copies link to image)
Open new tab and paste URL. Or paste into same tab.

Hadn't recognized copy, on image, meant, copy link.

#350250 - 15/02/2012 01:01 Re: Do any iPad browser apps allow direct viewing of images... [Re: gbeer]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
Opera Mini lets you view images directly and zoom and pan, but it doesn't work with all sites. I've used it for years on my old BBs. I still use it on my iphone now (the data compression is fabulous), and they claim compatibility with the iPad.

-jk

#350251 - 15/02/2012 01:01 Re: Do any iPad browser apps allow direct viewing of images... [Re: gbeer]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

[me loudly] Arrgh!

Somedays I just hate the web.

Browsing on IO9, I decided to test the above workaround.

Surprise, the first image I choose, one from the comments section of the post, shows an expanded menu, one pick is to open the image in a new tab. WTF. So I try it on the post's banner image, the menu now only has save and copy picks.

Some images can be directly opened in a new tab, some require the workaround.

Something about how the various images are coded, no doubt.

#350261 - 15/02/2012 21:12 Re: Do any iPad browser apps allow direct viewing of images... [Re: gbeer]
altman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: gbeer
Originally Posted By: altman

Sure, only that dose not change the behavior of a long touch on an image. Atomic web only allows saving the image to the photo app's store. Same as Safari mobile.

Really? On my atomic web a long press on an image gives me "save image to files" option. I can then press the "files" (looks like an arrow going into a bucket, ie download) icon and get a list of all the png, jpeg, etc I've downloaded. Tapping these then views them. They are not saved to the camera roll at all.