Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#351384 - 07/04/2012 06:57 Printing e-books
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
I know this post may seem silly, but bear with me and you'll understand why I'm asking this. smile

On my iPad, I installed the Amazon Kindle app and bought a few e-books. This is cool because some of those books would otherwise not be available where I live. One of those books is a fitness workout book, which includes several training schemes etc. Now, since I don't want to take my iPad with me when I go to the gym (because of sweaty hands, risk of damaging it and overall just looking pretty silly carrying it around), I would like to be able to print out those training schemes and take them with me when I go to the gym. But no matter where I look, I cannot seem to find an option to print.

Now, I can imagine this was done so on purpose, but I really have to ask: is there no way? (and no, taking a photo of the iPad's screen and printing that doesn't really count. smile )

Thx!

#351389 - 07/04/2012 12:30 Re: Printing e-books [Re: BartDG]
drakino
carpal tunnel

The iPad supports printing to specific printers that support AirPrint (a driverless method for printing). However, an app must specify it can print, just like on a PC. And the Kindle app doesn't say it allows printing.

You can take a screenshot of the page, by pressing the top and front physical buttons at the same time. They appear as images in the camera roll, and can be imported to a PC just like any photos from a digital camera. Probably not the best way to go, but also not as bad as taking a picture of the device.

#351390 - 07/04/2012 12:34 Re: Printing e-books [Re: drakino]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

That might work for me, since I only need a few pages of the book anyway! I'll give it a try!

Thanks Tom!

#351394 - 07/04/2012 15:42 Re: Printing e-books [Re: drakino]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: drakino
You can take a screenshot of the page...
I have become more than passingly familiar with eBook management in the past couple of months after getting my own Kindle.*

The better and more versatile solution would be to get the free Calibre program which can transcode your books from just about any format into *.RTF, which you can edit and print with Microsoft Word.

Unless... the books have DRM. Then you will need a Calibre plug-in or a standalone program to remove the DRM before Calibre will transcode the book. If the books are in Amazon's proprietary *.AZW format you will probably be out of luck.

I make sure that any eBooks I aquire are in *.epub format, as I can deal with those DRMs. I use Calibre to transcode them to *.MOBI for my Kindle.

tanstaafl.

*I thought this whole Kindle thing was a bit preposterous. Who needs a complicated, fragile electronic device in order to read? Haven't these people heard about "books"? Then on a whim I picked up SWMBO's Kindle in order to make fun of her, and found that the people who claim that a Kindle is "...almost as good as a real book" were wrong. Reading a book on a Kindle is superior to reading a book on paper in every way I can imagine. It is lighter. I can scale the type to any size I want. I don't have shelves of old books cluttering up my walls (they're all in my computer, and the Kindle could hold about 3,000 books all on its own), I can have three or five or however many books going all at once and never have to try and figure out where I set down that Heinlein book, I never, ever lose my place in a book, when I want to read at the table I don't have to put one edge of the book under my plate and put my milk glass on the other edge in order to keep it open, through the magic of the internet I have near-instant access to literally millions of books including books from my public library (I keep my Alaska library card active!), the advantages are too many to list. I read a lot (yo soy retirado aquí en México!) and I can say truthfully I have not held a paper book in my hands since buying my Kindle, which happened about five minutes after I tried out SWMBO's.

db

#351401 - 07/04/2012 22:46 Re: Printing e-books [Re: tanstaafl.]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
There's an observation on various blogs about how e-book users, read more books than traditional readers do.

I suspect it's one those chicken and egg problems, as the observation could have well have been - Frequent readers are choosing e-books over dead tree books.

But we all know the main reason for using an e-reader - it's like when we hid the comic inside a school book - nobody can see what you're reading.

#351436 - 10/04/2012 06:00 Re: Printing e-books [Re: tanstaafl.]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.

The better and more versatile solution would be to get the free Calibre program which can transcode your books from just about any format into *.RTF, which you can edit and print with Microsoft Word.

Unless... the books have DRM. Then you will need a Calibre plug-in or a standalone program to remove the DRM before Calibre will transcode the book. If the books are in Amazon's proprietary *.AZW format you will probably be out of luck.

That all sounds very nice and dandy, but then I remember these ebooks are on my iPad. My non-jailbroken iPad... which means I cannot access the files on it. So I have no idea which file type it is, and no way of pulling it off of my iPad. eek (and while I love my iPad for the things is does very well, this is one of the reasons I also hate it!)
So thank you very much for the advice, I'll keep it in mind for when I ever buy a Kindle. (or jailbreak my iPad wink ) For now, I'll use Tom's "screenshot method", which should work for the few times I'll need it. smile

#351439 - 10/04/2012 09:05 Re: Printing e-books [Re: BartDG]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
Isn't there a Kindle reader for Windows?
Doesn't Amazon let you read your Kindle books on a variety of devices?
Once Amazon syncs the book with Kindle for Windows, take that file - it will have a non-helpful numerical name, import it into Calibre - to which you've already added the relevant plugins to, and convert to your format of choice.

#351440 - 10/04/2012 09:14 Re: Printing e-books [Re: Phoenix42]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Excellent point, I hadn't thought of that! I'll give it a try! Thanks!