Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#89611 - 21/04/2002 12:32 IT Industry certifications
drakino
carpal tunnel

Ok, I'm in a job right now that likes certified people, and will pay for the tests, plus give some nice bonuses for passing them. I am trying to plan out what I should take, and I feel some background is probably needed.

I work with intel based servers, from the cheep one processor ones all the way into the eight processor beasts, and the blade servers. Currently I support Unix (Solaris 8, SCO Unixware and Openserver, and Linux on an official stance, and the occasional hint for the BSD users). I also support Netware. Keep in mind this support is just the info needed to install and run the OS, not to administer it. I do however administer my own home Linux machine with DHCP, DNS, AppleTalk, Samba, NFS, PostFix, and other servers. Plus I also assist with the one RioCar.org is on. So I do have the Linux background to admin servers.

I currently only have an A+ certification, something I picked up while I did desktop support for Gateway. I am now being pushed at the chump Server + test (Will probably go take that soon), and then beyond that is open. I am specificially looking at something similar to the MCSE, but not a Windows based one. I know how to admin an NT box, but prefer not to. So, I am looking at Lunix/Unix certifications. The one from Sair has my attention the most, as they have three different levels, similar to the MCP, MCSA and MSCE. Each level is a few tests, with every test being proceeded by a 32 hour class if attending their training. So if I do this, I am looking at a huge commitment to a single certification. Does anyone out there have a Sair certification, and if so, how hard was it? Also, how do companies precieve it? Personally I think it's great, but if it dosen't help me to get a better paying job, I don't really want to waste the huge amounts of time needed on it.

I really wanted to program instead of being a sys admin. But it seems my path without a major school commitment is going to lead me down the admin path. It's not bad, but not specificially what I wanted. So I might as well go down the admin path the best I can.

#89612 - 21/04/2002 13:31 Re: IT Industry certifications [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Caveat: I have never been certified for anything, and am speaking mostly as a person who has hired system administrators, but I definitely am one myself.

If you're interested in getting a Unix certification, I'd suggest getting certifications from the Unix vendor. That is, get a Solaris certification from Sun, etc. Obviously, this is impossible for Linux and BSDs (except for Red Hat).

Specifically, Sun offers two system administration certifications, Sun Certified System Administrator (SCSA) and Sun Certified Network Administrator (SCNA), which could be handy in Solaris environments. SCO has three certifications (that I'm not familiar with).

I'm not that familiar with Sair, although I've heard of them. To be honest, most of the reason I'd be interested in getting a certification would be to increase the likelihood of getting a new job, not for education, and the only way that it's going to help is if your employer is familiar with the accreditor. I don't know if Sair is going to help you out there, or any other third-party certification.