Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#96403 - 29/05/2002 16:56 Need some advice on hardware..
Banacek
journeyman

I'm looking to get a laptop hard drive, and I was wondering which ones were better at absorbing shocks. I figured someone on here would know of a good one.

Also I was looking for a FM Tuner card. I was figuring I could record radio shows to put on my Empeg. I think this is possible. Thanks in advance for any advice...

#96404 - 30/05/2002 13:01 Re: Need some advice on hardware.. [Re: Banacek]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
I'm looking to get a laptop hard drive, and I was wondering which ones were better at absorbing shocks

IBM and Toshiba are widely used for empeg upgrades (and OEM?). I think they would do just fine in a laptop as far as shock protection goes, though they wouldn't have the awesome cradle the empeg has for them.

Also I was looking for a FM Tuner card. I was figuring I could record radio shows to put on my Empeg. I think this is possible

While I haven't done it with a tuner card, you can capture anything going through the soundcard with Total Recorder It should work fine for that.

#96405 - 02/06/2002 07:11 Re: Need some advice on hardware.. [Re: davec]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
In reply to:

Also I was looking for a FM Tuner card. I was figuring I could record radio shows to put on my Empeg. I think this is possible

I do this all the time, and I use:
The radio is FM-only - basically because AM works on similar bands to the resonant frequency of computer motherboards and there's a lot of interference (see also why the empeg-car doesn't have an inbuilt tuner). You can get cards that do both, but they're more expensive.

Have fun,

Paul

#96406 - 02/06/2002 12:11 Re: Need some advice on hardware.. [Re: PaulWay]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Thank you for the Radiator link! Have been fighting the DLink software for a while,
and this was a true relief...

/Michael