Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#114992 - 05/09/2002 13:49 WANTED: your broken Audrey
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Okay, i FINALLY got myself a 3Com Audrey, and the damn thing was damaged in shipping (just my luck lately). I got it off ebay so of course i don't expect the seller to do shite about it since he's got some insanely high rating and a disclaimer on his sales about returns.

SO... if anyone has a broken Audrey... or hell, a working one they are looking to get rid of let me know. I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount or trade for something. I've posted on the audreyhacking.com board too. Any other resources where i could find such a thing would be much appreciated.

Thanks folks!

#114993 - 05/09/2002 22:57 Re: WANTED: your broken Audrey [Re: loren]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
yeah, not to rub it in your face or anything, but my roommate and I have a couple of them. We got them about a year ago when TigerDirect was selling them for about $99. It's a pretty cool toy to play with on the network in the living room.

by the way, you might try this guy on the i-appliance BBS.

#114994 - 06/09/2002 01:25 Re: WANTED: your broken Audrey [Re: ithoughti]
loren
carpal tunnel

I should have explained better. The stand got ripped out the back. I got it for $68 on ebay. It's not like they are hard to come by, i just want one that's stand works... it works fine otherwise. I don't wanna have to buy another one just for the damn stand. Might have to though. i guess i could just mount the other one on a wall or rig a stand up somehow. Looks like the seller has at least a dozen more for sale, so i expect them to replace it.

#114995 - 06/09/2002 05:47 Re: WANTED: your broken Audrey [Re: loren]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
How did part of it get ripped out the back in shipping? That's some pretty severe shipping problems.

Of course, it's not like I haven't experienced those for myself lately, eh robricc?

I don't suppose the seller insured it for anything, did he?

#114996 - 06/09/2002 09:25 Re: WANTED: your broken Audrey [Re: Dignan]
loren
carpal tunnel

i dunno... actually, after inspecting it a bit more, i'm sure it was like that before they shipped it. It's covered by the keyboard holder that snaps on, so it could easily have been missed.

They issued an RMA for a refund... which sucks. I don't want a stinkin' refund. I'll be out $30 shipping charges both ways and then i'll have to go through the whole process again. I think i'm just going to keep it and do some plastic repair with some plumbers putty or something... anyone have any tips on that. =]

Now to see if my USB -> Ethernet adaptor for my PS2 works with the Audrey....

#114997 - 06/09/2002 15:11 Re: WANTED: your broken Audrey [Re: loren]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Plumbers' putty is definitely not the right choice for that. It's designed to remain soft for a long time, which I doubt is what you want. I don't know what you have to fix, but a two-part epoxy would probably be the way I'd go. Just mix a little up in a dispoable cup and use a toothpick or something like that to apply small amounts of it to what you want to repair. It won't be the prettiest looking thing, but it holds very well in my experience.

#114998 - 06/09/2002 15:43 Re: WANTED: your broken Audrey [Re: wfaulk]
loren
carpal tunnel

Did i say Plumbers Putty? I meant Plumber two part Epoxy. At least i think that's what it's called. I used it a lot in some of my puppet making projects in college... it's a two part grey cylinder as fat as a cigar that's one part in the middle with the second part surrounding it. All you do is break off a chunk and kneed it a bit, and it's supposedly as hard a steel after full curing. It really is amazin' stuff. I think i still have half a tube in my closet somewhere...

[edit] yeah, it's called plumbers epoxy putty... here's something similar:
http://doityourself.com/store/6766356.htm

#114999 - 06/09/2002 15:51 Re: WANTED: your broken Audrey [Re: loren]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Fair enough. I've seen that stuff, too, but never used it. The reason I brought it up is because I made the mistake of using plumbers putty once, long ago, thinking that it'd harden. Turns out I was wrong.

#115000 - 06/09/2002 16:13 Re: WANTED: your broken Audrey [Re: wfaulk]
loren
carpal tunnel

YES! I just got an email from a guy who saw my post on audreyhacking.com:

"Yes I have a White case that is in great condition from an Audrey that I installed into a 1974 Seeburg Jukebox. (I only needed the "guts" not the plastic case for the project). I love these Audreys, I currently have 9 of them running at home to control various things!"

NINE of them?! Christ. Anyhow... I'm back in business. .. Screw plumbers putty/epoxy. I love the internet.

#115001 - 06/09/2002 17:03 Re: WANTED: your broken Audrey [Re: loren]
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA
"Screw plumbers putty/epoxy. I love the internet.

Woah!!
Theres an adult site I havent run across yet.
Didnt know plumbers were that hot an item.
Whatever turns you on...