Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#148370 - 12/03/2003 20:47 The Media-Industrial Complex...
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
A while back in a "rant" thread I made a stink about a somewhat anonymous "feel good" campaign sponsored by a mining/media conglomerate. Just at those moments when I feel I am too cynical I conclude that I am not cynical enough....

Tonight, at the end of a local TV news show (CBS affiliate) I slowly took notice of a thirty-second spot to the effect "this is what he does do his opponents....Saddam Must Go! ...Make Real Peace Possible!"

Then the logo of the local conservative talk radio outlet (Rush, et al) -- KVI 570 -- came up on the screen along with "This message brought to you by".

This, I think, is unprecedented. To be sure, I looked up the parent company of KVI and it is Fisher Communications owner of multiple TV/radio outlets in the west including the Seattle ABC affiliate, KOMO.

As I said in an e-mail to Fisher, I think this is beyond the pale. How am I supposed to consider their news outlets trustworthy?

OK, perhaps this isn't unprecedented. I expect that during WWII network news outlets routinely pumped the patriotic party line. This is a very different case, though.

The Media-Industrial Complex.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#148371 - 12/03/2003 23:14 Re: The Media-Industrial Complex... [Re: jimhogan]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
I started to type up a crazy rant on this, but stopped...

Suffice to say, this really is odd behavior. Was this the early evening news? I'll have to get TiVo on the case...

#148372 - 13/03/2003 09:56 Re: The Media-Industrial Complex... [Re: bootsy]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Was this the early evening news?

Yes it was.....the 6:30 to 7:00 segment on KIRO, I think.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#148373 - 13/03/2003 10:18 Re: The Media-Industrial Complex... [Re: jimhogan]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Were they stating anything other than the truth?

#148374 - 15/03/2003 11:39 Re: The Media-Industrial Complex... [Re: jimhogan]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
A couple of days ago I found this article by Ben Cohen on AlterNet about anti-war TV spots the networks refused to air. I followed the link there and took a look; spots really were reasonable and not too 'graphic' (if at all). Sponsors included True Majority and an organization of churches.

I followed the link today. The spots are not there any more, and I can't find them (all Googled links lead to the original 404'ed location). Scarry.

(BTW, if you look for alternative source of info and opinion, you can also try Yellow Times or In These Times. All three have decent RSS feeds.)
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#148375 - 15/03/2003 15:30 Re: The Media-Industrial Complex... [Re: ]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Were they stating anything other than the truth?

how do you know it to be the truth? If all that is put out there is the doctored version, which story is truth?

#148376 - 15/03/2003 17:28 Re: The Media-Industrial Complex... [Re: muzza]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
Yes Muzza you're right:

The "truth" is always at least a three-edged sword.
The three edges are:

Their version of the truth.
Your version of the truth.
The actual truth.

So which Edge do you think "is the truth" you talk about d33zy?