Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#155887 - 17/04/2003 11:50 Interesting car hire in LA ?
sundayjumper
journeyman

Loc: West Berkshire
My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to California around the middle of October. What we'd like to do is fly to LA, pick up a hire car, take a couple of days to drive to our friends' place in San Francisco, take a few more days driving to other friends in San Diego, then a few more days driving back to LA before heading home. Basically a two week road trip. I've checked the normal car hire places, but they all seem dull. Sorry, but a Grand Am or a Cavalier just doesn't float my boat ! So I'm looking for something more "interesting". Not exotic, not the latest hi-tech wonder, but just a bit more individual. Budget is (I guess) about 500 - 600 USD for a two week hire. Any ideas ?

And of course, I'll have to try and bodge my Empeg in for the duration too :-)

Cheers,

Steve.

#155888 - 17/04/2003 12:09 Re: Interesting car hire in LA ? [Re: sundayjumper]
Redrum
old hand

I rented a Sebring convertible form Avis in Vegas and then "Did" California similarly to your description. While they did not guarantee a car make or model they did guarantee a convertible (better that other car rental places I’ve used). I called the Vegas office and they said all they had where Sebring's.

Convertibles in CA are the way to go. However I also rented a Grand Am GT and carved up some canyon roads. That was also cool.

Do the “Avis Preferred” thing. They take you right to your car and you don’t have to wait in those god-awful lines.

#155889 - 17/04/2003 18:17 Re: Interesting car hire in LA ? [Re: sundayjumper]
thrasher
enthusiast

Im sure there are some nice rides to be had at most of the car rental,s call them up and see what they have,make sure you reserve it ahead of time.when you take off towards sf,take the costal route.stop in monterey see the aquriam it very nice.stop at sea cliff state park exit in aptos take a walk on the beach it;s very nice there.half moon bay is very nice to.you can cut over to sf from there.