Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#157091 - 24/04/2003 18:02 Win2K terminal server
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Anyone had any experience setting up terminal services on a 2000 server?
I can log in and poke around no problem but I really would like some pointers to setting up Office 2000 in the terminal environment.
I've downloaded the Office Resource Kit, gone thru the procedure to set up user profiles, translation files, and all the other stuff that seems to be required. I went to the Add remove progs section and put in the command line which came up at the end of the wizard (without the quiet and background flags) and it still says that that is not the way to install office.

Anyone got any help here?

#157092 - 24/04/2003 18:07 Re: Win2K terminal server [Re: muzza]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I can ask my Citrix guy at work tomorrow, but (and I have to state again for the record that I'm not a Windows guy) why should you have to set Word up differently for TS? My understanding is that it just creates multiple remote consoles. What needs to be different about the setup than if you just had multiple nonsimultaneous users?

#157093 - 24/04/2003 18:19 Re: Win2K terminal server [Re: wfaulk]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

well,... I have it in application server mode. in this mode it manages (I think) all logins differently. I can't just install office in admin mode and expect it to work. Each user will be assigned privileges based on a profile so some people don't have access to things like Access or Powerpointless if I choose.
It's a different thing to preparing an installation roll-out but similare in some ways. I think.
I'm no MS guru either, (prefer Novell), but this is for college work. In fact, I'm so not a guru that I was playing around with security profiles and totally locked myself out. Of everything. Had to reinstall.
If your Citrix Guy knows at least which books to check, I'd be really grateful

#157094 - 25/04/2003 13:09 Re: Win2K terminal server [Re: muzza]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Citrix guy didn't come in to work today, but I sent him an email. I'll let you know what he tells me.

#157095 - 26/04/2003 14:13 Re: Win2K terminal server [Re: wfaulk]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Ta, Much appreciated

#157096 - 29/04/2003 13:09 Re: Win2K terminal server [Re: muzza]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

He says:
He needs to download what Microsoft calls a transform that needs to be used when installing Office 2000 on a terminal server. This is downloaded with the Office Resource Kit. Run the Custom Installation Wizard and specify the termserv.mst found at C:\Program Files\ORKTools\ToolBox\Tools\Terminal Server Tools for the transform. It is "fairly" intuitive from there. Hope this helps.

#157097 - 29/04/2003 14:42 Re: Win2K terminal server [Re: wfaulk]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Thanks Bitt, I'll try it shortly