Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#158494 - 01/05/2003 14:18 Side Panel Repair for Computer Case?
burdell1
old hand

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
The side panel from my computer case recently broke. The parts that broke were the two little plastic pieces the hold the case in position (which are located on the back of the case.) Is there any way to repair these? I've tried ordering replacement parts, but colorcase doesn't seem to have them.

#158495 - 01/05/2003 17:28 Re: Side Panel Repair for Computer Case? [Re: burdell1]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Funny, the exact same thing happened to my computer case. I wonder if we have the same case? Got a link to a picture of the case?

My solution was to glue them in place with RTV silicone. My case was designed in such a way that you don't need all that air under the tabs, so there was enough flat surface area to get the silicone to stick and keep the tabs in place decently. I put just enough silicone in place (not too much) so that it was just compressible enough to allow the tabs to push down a tiny bit, just enough to get a reasonable "snap" action. I now take the cover on and off regularly and it still works. The snap is not as crisp as the day it was bought, but it's enough to hold it in place.

#158496 - 01/05/2003 20:18 Re: Side Panel Repair for Computer Case? [Re: tfabris]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Funny. I haven't even seen the case to my computer in like 6 years. I mean, the frame part is there, but not the outside shell. Then again, I have 2 power supplies running my computer. One for the drives, the other for the Mobo and cards. And no, it isn't a server case, One is just a 350w AT running my drives. I turn it on first.

#158497 - 01/05/2003 21:24 Re: Side Panel Repair for Computer Case? [Re: lectric]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

I had two of those under my desk before I got a shuttle. I kept the panels around for a while but threw them out when I moved. Who needs a case window just take the whole side off

Matt

#158498 - 02/05/2003 05:26 Re: Side Panel Repair for Computer Case? [Re: tfabris]
burdell1
old hand

unfortunately, i don't have the original snaps any more.....the case looks like this http://www.customsystemsandservice.com/cases.htm it is the translucent II blue...

#158499 - 02/05/2003 10:22 Re: Side Panel Repair for Computer Case? [Re: burdell1]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Hm. That side panel looks a lot like mine, but it's hard to tell from the tiny photo. Mine was a translucent green, a slightly different but similar style to that case. It very well might be the same side panel style.

Did the tabs just snap super-easy, almost as if they were MEANT to snap? So easily, that the first words out of your mouth were "cheap taiwanese piece of shit"? Then it's probably the same one.

Try the RTV Silicone trick. Let the glue dry before putting the cover back on the PC of course.

#158500 - 28/01/2004 15:18 Re: Side Panel Repair for Computer Case? [Re: tfabris]
burdell1
old hand

Tfabris...Do you know the manufacturer of your computer case? I am thinking both our cases might be made by the same company and if so, I would like to see what their new cases are like. However, I cannot seem to find the name of who manufacturers my computer case. at the time, I bought it from colorcases.com, but i believe they were just a reseller.

#158501 - 28/01/2004 15:23 Re: Side Panel Repair for Computer Case? [Re: burdell1]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I have long since forgotten the manufacturer's name, and the box has long since been discarded. Sorry.