Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#263477 - 25/08/2005 07:52 Windows XP doesn't always boot successfully
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
The problem is this: my work PC sometimes doesn't boot properly. What happens is that it'll boot up happily, but at the point where it should switch to the XP-theme for the logon prompt, it doesn't -- it just says "Windows is starting up" and takes a long time (minutes) to get to the login prompt.

When you do log in, it takes just as long to get to the desktop, and nothing works properly. Event Viewer will start up, but doesn't display any events. There're no network connections in the relevant part of Control Panel.

After several (five or so) cycles of shutdown-and-restart, it will start up perfectly happy, as if nothing has happened.

Now, this has never happened on any of my other machines, but also happens occasionally on other PCs here at work.

My PC specs:

Dell Precision 470 Workstation, with 2Gb RAM, dual Xeon 3.0GHz HT CPUs, 2x80Gb SATA disks (JBOD). ATI FireGL graphics.

It seemed to start happening during installation after I joined the domain (AD-based, I think we're still in W2K compatibility mode), and would happen almost every time I rebooted.

It hasn't happened for a month or so, but just started happening this morning. As I type this (on my laptop), it's still happening.

Ideas?

#263478 - 25/08/2005 07:58 Re: Windows XP doesn't always boot successfully [Re: Roger]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Look for network issues or roaming profiles. I know there were a few bugs where it would try to load (or save) roaming profiles and fail, causing a very slow boot (or shutdown).

Otherwise, check to see if your domain admin folks are dumping large amounts of "updates" or "pushes" to your system. That is something I see a lot of here.

Lastly, make sure you have a local machine admin account. Try logging in with that, shutting down, restarting and use this account to try to diagnose. If it is getting hung up on a network or domain issue, this might help clear it.

#263479 - 25/08/2005 08:20 Re: Windows XP doesn't always boot successfully [Re: pgrzelak]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Thanks for the suggestions. More information below.

Quote:
Look for network issues or roaming profiles. I know there were a few bugs where it would try to load (or save) roaming profiles and fail, causing a very slow boot (or shutdown).

We don't use roaming profiles.

Quote:
Otherwise, check to see if your domain admin folks are dumping large amounts of "updates" or "pushes" to your system. That is something I see a lot of here.

Nope, this reboot was due to Windows Update, but it's been fine for the last few weeks.

Quote:
Lastly, make sure you have a local machine admin account. Try logging in with that, shutting down, restarting and use this account to try to diagnose. If it is getting hung up on a network or domain issue, this might help clear it.

I'm logged into it now. And it's very odd.

If I go into Event Viewer, I get a message box: "Unable to complete the operation on 'Application'. The interface is unknown.

If I right click on "My Network Places" to get to the Network Connections control panel, there are no interfaces listed in there. ipconfig shows both interfaces correctly.

Plugging in the network cable (it was unplugged, to eliminate dodgy DHCP servers or other network problems) and running ipconfig /renew gives me "An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : The RPC server is unavailable."

Going into Computer Management and clicking on "Device Manager" doesn't show anything. Trying "Performance Logs and Alerts" hangs up Computer Management.

Browsing around in the registry doesn't show anything obviously amiss.

"sc query" shows nothing -- as if no services were started.

I'm going to try a boot into Safe Mode, to see if anything is obvious there, but it's not good.

#263480 - 25/08/2005 10:54 Re: Windows XP doesn't always boot successfully [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
This sounds kinda vaguely like a problem we had here not long ago. Some spyware or adware installed a shim in the IP stack. Then our spyware removal tool just yanked it out, leaving a gap in the stack. We had to remove the IP driver altogether and reinstall it. The symptoms are not identical, and this was under 2000 instead of XP, but some of your symptoms sound familiar. Let me see if I can find the instructions for reinstalling IP. There were more steps than you'd think.

Edit: Here it is.

Edited by wfaulk (25/08/2005 10:56)

#263481 - 25/08/2005 12:30 Re: Windows XP doesn't always boot successfully [Re: wfaulk]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Agreed. That does sound like some kind of ugliness.

#263482 - 25/08/2005 12:43 Re: Windows XP doesn't always boot successfully [Re: wfaulk]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
This sounds kinda vaguely like a problem we had here not long ago. Some spyware or adware installed a shim in the IP stack.

Nope, not that either. This is from a completely clean build. Well, not now, obviously, but it started happening at roughly the same time I connected the machine to the domain. Our network is clean of spyware.

#263483 - 25/08/2005 12:44 Re: Windows XP doesn't always boot successfully [Re: Roger]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I'm going to try a boot into Safe Mode, to see if anything is obvious there, but it's not good.

A boot via Safe Mode with Networking seems to have fixed it. Nasty.

#263484 - 25/08/2005 13:02 Re: Windows XP doesn't always boot successfully [Re: Roger]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Fixed it permanently? You can now reboot normally?

#263485 - 25/08/2005 14:34 Re: Windows XP doesn't always boot successfully [Re: Roger]
shadow45

Loc: Florida, USA
To think there are ATMs and nuclear aircraft carriers running this stuff..

#263486 - 26/08/2005 09:06 Re: Windows XP doesn't always boot successfully [Re: pgrzelak]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Fixed it permanently? You can now reboot normally?

Fixed it until the next time Windows Update decides to screw it up again, certainly.