Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#272601 - 20/12/2005 14:54 Anyone know anything about system RAM?
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I'm looking to upgrade from 1GB of RAM on my PC. I currently have 3 sticks: 1 x 512MB and 2x 256MB. All sticks are Kingston ValueRAM. 184pin, DDR 3200 (400mhz). But I have two problems.
1) I'm trying to figure the best cost/benefit.
2) I know nothing about all of the technical aspects of RAM. I heard I can get "pseudo" dual channel RAM? I don't know what the "timing" stuff means or anything. I just know my mobo takes 184pin, 3200 DDR.

1) Value stuff...
Assuming I stick with Kingston ValueRAM...
a) I was thinking of spending around $90 to get a 1GB stick to replace a 256. That would take me to 1.75GB for $90. Net gain .75 GB.

b) Another option was to get a 2GB pack (2 x 1GB sticks) for around $170. That would take me to 2.5GB if I replaced both 256 sticks. Net gain of 1.5 GB.

Twice the cost gets me about twice the RAM. I might save a few bucks getting 2GB together because the package costs less and I'd pay only one shipping fee.

Another option is the ditch the Kingston stuff (not knowing if it's crap or not) and start from scratch. So, for $160 and up I can get various 2GB packages of 2 x 1GB sticks. The thing is, I don't know anything about the differences. My only clue was to stick with a known company, but since I'm not a hardware guy, I don't know many companies. Cost would be about $160 with a gain of 1GB.

2) Technical Stuff..
Like I said, because I don't know much about RAM specs, I don't know if it's worth switching from Kingston, and even if I did, I wouldn't know what was good or not. Here's the link again for the 2GB ram packs on Newegg.

Most of my PC usage is pretty run of the mill with the exception of Battlefield 2. That's my main reason for upgrading. My mobo is a Asus with a AMD Atlon 64 2800+, 754 socket. ATi Radeon x700.

#272602 - 20/12/2005 15:24 Re: Anyone know anything about system RAM? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK

#272603 - 20/12/2005 18:46 Re: Anyone know anything about system RAM? [Re: Roger]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Yikes their stuff is expensive! I found that my system doesn't support dual channel, so that won't be an issue. Additionally, my mobo slows the memory speed once a 3rd slot has been filled. So, I may look to a 2 stick solution. Also, Battlefield 2 uses 1.3GB, so even 1.5gb would be enough.

Thanks for the link.

#272604 - 20/12/2005 19:32 Re: Anyone know anything about system RAM? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Yikes their stuff is expensive!

But reliable. I never buy from anyone else.

As you probably saw, they've got a very good RAM configuration tool that tells you what you've got and what you can have, even if you decide not to buy from them.

#272605 - 20/12/2005 19:59 Re: Anyone know anything about system RAM? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Just get the 2 x 1GB sticks, for a total of 2GB. If the sticks are from the same brand/batch, they should work in dual-channel mode as well -- giving a tiny boost in overall performance if the motherboard/BIOS support such.

Crucial is expensive, but worth it for "out of town" buyers because it will just plain work. For people in the USA, there are many cheaper options available.

I bought 2GB off eBay for one of the Dell notebooks we have here. Works great, half the cost of Crucial's product.

For desktop systems, I get noname Samsung/Hynex stuff from a local distributor. Never an issue with any of it all.

Cheers

#272606 - 20/12/2005 20:28 Re: Anyone know anything about system RAM? [Re: mlord]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I did find some Crucial memory on eBay that is about $200 shipped for 2 x 1GB sticks. So now my dilema is a) Buy from a reputible dealer and get a "so so" brand or b) buy from an eBayer and get a quality brand.

My motherboard is a socket 754, so it can't support dual memory channels.

The good news is that the top of the line 754 chip, the Athlon 64 3700+, has finally dropped from $500 to $200. And it looks like I could still sell my 2800+ for $70 or so.

#272607 - 20/12/2005 20:39 Re: Anyone know anything about system RAM? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
There are other reputable brands. I've used Corsair before and had excellent results, other than a bad pair of sticks, which they swapped out for me with little effort on my part. But there are brands other than that, even.

$183 on NewEgg

Edited by wfaulk (20/12/2005 20:43)

#272608 - 20/12/2005 21:29 Re: Anyone know anything about system RAM? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
You don't mention what OS you have (or I missed it via skimming your post), there are some limitations to recognizing over 3GB of RAM in a Windows XP environment.

-Zeke

#272609 - 21/12/2005 08:27 Re: Anyone know anything about system RAM? [Re: Ezekiel]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
recognizing over 3GB of RAM in a Windows XP environment.

To clarify: In 32-bit Windows XP SP2, the OS will only address a maximum of 4Gb physical RAM. However, some of this address space is reserved for device access (DMA and stuff like that). See this KB article.

This means that on a PC with 4Gb of RAM, with Windows XP SP2, you'll generally only see 3.25Gb or so.

This restriction is removed in Windows XP x64, but I've not had a chance to try it yet.

Which means: don't bother buying 4Gb of RAM if you can get away with 3Gb or 2Gb, unless you're planning on using Windows XP (or 2003) x64.

#272610 - 23/12/2005 01:38 Re: Anyone know anything about system RAM? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
What Mark said. Don't keep the old sticks around. Just get one or two 1Gb sticks. Using more than two pieces of different size, different brand, different speed RAM never did give good results, at least in the old days. I'd suggest overbuying for now so you can maybe reuse it in your next system (if you upgrade more than once every 2 years).

Kingston Value RAM has never done me wrong, but neither has Crucial. Crucial was much cheaper years ago; I'm not sure what happened. Also, I think Crucial and Corsair are one and the same. A few major RAM names are from the same company, but I get them confused.

On an odd note, I don't know if they still make "registered DDR RAM" anymore, but I'd recommend it. I built two identical machines, ABit KG7 Athlon 1.4, but mine with registered DDR and my friends with regular DDR. After 2 years, his RAM burnt out. Apparently, ABit boosted the default RAM voltage or something just to claim they had better performance. 4 years (?) later, my registered DDR RAM is still humming away while Google Groups reported many cases of burnt regular RAM. It's worth it to get good parts.

#272611 - 23/12/2005 01:45 Re: Anyone know anything about system RAM? [Re: FireFox31]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I'd suggest overbuying for now so you can maybe reuse it in your next system (if you upgrade more than once every 2 years).

Overbuying isn't a good idea due to the fact that the standards change so fast these days. What is your top of the line uber expensive RAM today will just be the mid range stuff by next year and obsolete the year after that.

Quote:
Kingston Value RAM has never done me wrong, but neither has Crucial.

Ditto. I usually buy Crucial because they guarantee it to work with your system. Never had any go wrong on me and if it did, they'll replace it because of their warranty.

Quote:
Also, I think Crucial and Corsair are one and the same.

Crucial is the retail arm of Micron.

Quote:
On an odd note, I don't know if they still make "registered DDR RAM" anymore, but I'd recommend it. I built two identical machines, ABit KG7 Athlon 1.4, but mine with registered DDR and my friends with regular DDR. After 2 years, his RAM burnt out.

Having registered RAM doesn't make the RAM more robust. It just means you have less loading on the lines which lets you have more modules. If something did blow the RAM interface then it'd just blow up the buffer chips on the RAM instead of the RAM chips themselves. Either way means you going out and buying more RAM.
For the average home user, you don't need registered and don't want it as it increases latency. It is only really useful if you want to fill all the slots or you have server equipment which has many slots.