Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#284258 - 09/07/2006 13:41 Theoretical Programming Question - Virtual CD-R Drives
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
While reading an article in the Economist about France's iTunes law, I started thinking about the current state of affairs for 'liberating' DRM'd music (DMCA aside for the moment) - burn to a CD and then rip it back off with your choice of compression. The goal of France's law (although most likely not the outcome) is to make DRM music more like a CD - it'll work on anyone's player, regardless of manufacture.

This made me think about CD's and virtual CD's (such as mounted Nero Drive Images).

My thought was this: with sufficiently clever programming, would it be possible to present a virtual CD-R to the a DRM-honoring application - thereby allowing it to 'burn' to the virtual device. Then, at the other end (and most usefully, simultaneously) a software compressor would take the bits back off. This would speed things up (creating in essence REALLY fast CD-R devices for presentation to the burning software), and, in theory allow for quick scrubbing of DRM.

Mind you this is a theoretical question, I do not use DRM music of any kind, but am interested if there's any specific technical reasons which would prevent this sort of bit streaming and re-compressing.

I'm interested in anyone's thoughts. If this post is deemed to piratical for the board administrator's tastes, I completely understand if it is removed. I'm simply curious about the subject.

-Zeke

#284259 - 09/07/2006 14:17 Re: Theoretical Programming Question - Virtual CD-R Drives [Re: Ezekiel]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Certainly possible. Not much better than the total recorder option. Unfortunatly, you're adding another layer of audio compression. You could use lossless compression, but then you've increased the size of the file by a factor of 10.

Matthew

#284260 - 09/07/2006 14:38 Re: Theoretical Programming Question - Virtual CD-R Drives [Re: matthew_k]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Virtual CDR is a GREAT idea! Wow.

What's the "Total Recorder" solution? Something like Messer which records real-time audio passing through the sound card directly to MP3? That can "rip DRM" only as fast as playback speed; akin to taping a song off the radio.

A virtual CDR + Ripper could "rip DRM" as fast as the slower of the two, likely the writing end, something like 16x.

I wonder if the CD needs to be finalized before ripping can begin. That would smash the "simultaneous" idea.

What if you did virtual-DVD-Audio with some specification that allowed 4.7gig of 44.1kHz,16bit,stereo audio. That would allow ripping of 548 minutes of audio in one step, instead of 74 minutes at a time.

#284261 - 09/07/2006 15:31 Re: Theoretical Programming Question - Virtual CD-R Drives [Re: matthew_k]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Quote:
Not much better than the total recorder option.

It would certainly be faster, since you wouldn't have a 1:1 relationship between playback time vs. trasfer time.

I know there'd be loss on re-compression, but if the option is not being able to use the file where desired, it would seem a good trade-off.

If the software could also emulate 'new disk inserted' then you'd have a very efficient method of transfer.

Of course, that leaves the re-identification/tagging of the resulting files as a challenge, but something along the lines of MusicBrainz Picard would be useful for re-cataloging the resultant files.

-Zeke

Not really an original thought, a thread since found here.

Edited by Ezekiel (09/07/2006 15:42)

#284262 - 09/07/2006 15:43 Re: Theoretical Programming Question - Virtual CD-R Drives [Re: Ezekiel]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

A virtual CD-R or virtual audio device may well be the best you can do, but it introduces the problem of doubling up your compression artifacts. Every time you compress, you reduce quality. The ideal solution is something like jhymn, which doesn't work with current iTunes 6 builds. With iTunes 5.x, all it did was strip off the DRM crap, converting the m4p files to m4a, retaining all the sonic quality (or lack thereof) from the original.

#284263 - 09/07/2006 15:55 Re: Theoretical Programming Question - Virtual CD-R Drives [Re: DWallach]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Dan, a fewt things about this idea seemed to set it apart from other DRM cleansing techniques like jhymn or DVD John's early efforts. First, it would be program agnostic - it's not tied to a specific DRM technique, and second is potential speed - you'd be limited by the re-encode speed, not write speed. Third, it would not require (at least in the US) illegal manipulation of DRM'd files (thanks to the DCMA - which I hope will eventually struck down as a violation of fair use); you're simply virtualizing an already allowed output medium.

That it could operate on long file lists without human intervention would be a plus as well (at least for DRM hosting software that allows multiple-CD burns from one long list).

It would seem to be (because of the requisite loss in quality) a very fair analog to home casette recording.

-Zeke