Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#295670 - 21/03/2007 16:50 Tips for buying a digital SLR?
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Hello, I need to buy a digital SLR for work but don't know much about them. It will be used for indoor photography, press-style (person at a podium, people in a group, etc). It must resolve the complaint that the current digital point-and-shoot "was too shaky/blurry" indoors. I interpret that as, the new camera needs better automatic settings to adjust to the light, focus, depth of field, etc.

Can any of you smart camera users recommend buying points for an easy-to-use DSLR with good manual features which can be handled well automatically? Are there specific lenses/flashes for indoor press-style photos? I'll even ask if you can recommend a specific camera and lenses for such a task.

I've been intimidated by these big cameras, but now I'll get the chance to learn more about them. Thanks for your help.

#295671 - 21/03/2007 17:02 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: FireFox31]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Pentax or Nikon. Especially the Pentax.

(I have all Canon, and cannot recommend them for a basic P&S setup. Great for an extended zillions of lenses system, though).

-ml

#295672 - 21/03/2007 17:11 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: FireFox31]
brax

Loc: Birmingham, AL
I am by no means camera guru, but we have enjoyed our Cannon SLR very much. It's the older style that is only 6 mega pixels but it's still going strong and we like it. I have not researched cameras in a while but when I did several years ago here were some of the points to keep in mind:
1) Does it come with the AC power cord (not the AC charger). Cannon's do not, unless they have changed over the years. It's nice to have it when you are downloading 300+pictures.
2) Make sure your memory card is one of the fast write speeds, this is useful for continuous shot modes.
3) Is the battery a rechargeable battery, I would imagine that all of the SLR's are but I know that some of the cheap point and shoot ones are not.
4) Research the price of just the body if you have a specific lens in mind. No point getting the lens that comes with it if you’re never going to use it.

To me I normally think of the SLR's for folks that need a longer/wider zoom and for folks that are looking for lots of settings rather then "automatic".

Out of curiosity why an SLR?

#295673 - 21/03/2007 17:24 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: brax]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
The one thing that'd really help eliminate shake/blur would be a tripod (with any camera)

#295674 - 21/03/2007 17:29 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: FireFox31]
Schido
enthusiast

Loc: Probably lost somewhere in Wal...
Maybe Ken Rockwell can help?

Quote:

Sneak Peak Summary:

Get the Nikon D200 if you don't mind the weight.
Get a Nikon D40 for everything else.
Get the Canon 5D if you work on a tripod.
Forget the rest.

Comparison: Nikon D200, D80, D70, D50, D40, Canon 5D and XTi

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/d200-d80-d70-d50-d40-5d-xti.htm
Empeg Mk1 #00177, 2.00 final, hijack 4.76

#295675 - 21/03/2007 17:30 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: FireFox31]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Regardless of brand/style of camera, one of the most important aspects for inside shooting is a low f-stop. F-Stops are the inverse ration between the amount of light that enters the lens and the amount of light that reaches the film/sensor. So, if a lens only let at most 1/5 the amount of light entering the lens through to the sensor, it would have an minumum f-stop of 5 (all lenses can be 'choked' down to allow less light to reach the sensor by reducing its aperture).

A fast lens (low f number) will allow two things:
1) Shoot without a flash in darker rooms and still have acceptable results (less blur)
2) Allow a flash to have a greater 'reach' (a longer distance at which the flash effectively lights the subject).

Before spending 100's of dollars, I would recommend getting a basic photography book so you can learn the three basics - f-stop, exposure time, and ISO speeds.

The more you know the less chance you'll buy the wrong kit.

-Zeke

#295676 - 21/03/2007 17:34 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: FireFox31]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
What you need is a DSLR and a external flash. The ultimate in low light work would be a 5D, a 580EX flash, and the 24-70mm f2.8 lens. (At least in the canon world. I don't keep up with Nikon). Of course, that will run you about 4k, and many people would (correctly) tell you that you need an "assortment of fast primes" to really have the best low light setup, but that would inflate the budget even more. So, assuming 4k is more than you want to spend, you need to see where you can cut corners. The 5D is a better low light performer than the rebel XTi, but it's unlikely the difference is worth it to you. If you go with the XTi, we can "sidegrade" the lens to the 17-55mm f2.8 IS lens, which is an amazing lens, still costing about 1k. The 580EX is better than the 430EX, but not by much. Are you trying to fill an auditorium with light, or a board room? A board room or smaller, you won't notice the difference, so get the 430EX.

So, now are costs are approximately 700 for the camera, 300 for the flash, 1000 for the lens. If 2k is too expensive, start paring down that lens. The 3rd party manufacturers (sigma, tonkina, tamrom) make nice 18-50ish f2.8 zooms. Buy one of those for $400, and your cost is around 1400. No image stabilization, but a solid performing lens indoors. $1373 total at BH, spend $40 on a pair of 2GB CF cards, and you'll be all set.

That's where I'd end up if I were in your position. Nikon people can do a similar exercise, I tend think of Nikon as being a bit more expensive and a bit behind on the development curve, but Nikon people will cast similar aspersions at Canon. Canon also has a huge percent of the market, so the used market is especially vibrant, to the point where I never lose money buying and selling used lenses.

Matthew

#295677 - 21/03/2007 17:42 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: FireFox31]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
I am on my second Canon SLR, I've had a 300D and now a 350D. I am saving for something further up in the range in the next 18 months. One thing I like about the Canon is the range of bits you can get and the ability to take them with you when you upgrade. If this won't be an issue for you Mark is right, look for a more cost effective startup.

It sounds like you will be doing lots of pictures of people, something I tend to do quite a bit of. What you need is a good flash gun to match the SLR you have bought, combined with a good diffuser the results are really good.

I have a Canon 580EX flashgun, but a friend of mine has a Sigma that is perfect if you are on a budget. They make all the difference.

There are lots of flash diffustion solutions out there, Gary Fong's Lightsphere is quite interesting, but there are many more to choose from, all do a similar thing and they are a must for the type of pictures you will be taking. I have a cheap set of knock off Omni Bounce diffusers from eBay that work quite well.

If you go the Canon route, I can recommend their 50mm F1.8 starter lense, at about £50 ($100 ?) it's a very good choice when taking pictures of people and you don't need a zoom.

I can't speak for any other makes, but I couldn't decide between Canon and Nikon when I started with SLR's. It was the feel of the Canon that sold it, to me it felt better in my hand. It is very important to try the camera in real life first, don't just buy it off the net.

Cheers

Cris.

#295678 - 21/03/2007 17:54 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: Cris]
brax

Loc: Birmingham, AL
Quote:
It is very important to try the camera in real life first, don't just buy it off the net.

This is probably the best advice. When we bought our Cannon the newer version (8 mega pixels) had just come out and was about $250-300 more. I almost bought the newer model from the net until my wife and I decided to stop in at a local camera store. Well since she is the photographer of the family, I had her try out each and she liked the older style more. It was a little bigger and she said it was more comfortable to hold. For what we use it for 6 mega pixels is enough.

#295679 - 21/03/2007 18:16 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: mlord]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Thanks for all of the info. If there's any more, please feel free to share/debate it. My coworker who is researching this recommends a Pentax, but it will help to look into the Cannon and Nikon recommendations here.

Why SLR? Probably because the requestor thinks "bigger and more expensive will reduce the shake and give better pictures." I'm thinking SLR will have better and faster automatic adjustment of the many settings required for good indoor photography. And, hopefully allow the addition of lenses which might make indoor shots even better. Sure a tripod could work, but I think we're trying to avoid that.

#295680 - 21/03/2007 18:30 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: FireFox31]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Quote:
"bigger and more expensive will reduce the shake and give better pictures."

More light and a faster shutter speed will reduce shake and increase sharpness. An SLR will give you more options to get the result you are looking for.

How far are you away from you subject? Are you at the back of the room ???

Cheers

Cris.

#295681 - 21/03/2007 18:30 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: FireFox31]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
And generally most sensors used in SLRs have better noise performance than the tiny little ones used in P&S models.

#295682 - 21/03/2007 23:32 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: FireFox31]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
Why SLR? Probably because the requestor thinks "bigger and more expensive will reduce the shake and give better pictures." I'm thinking SLR will have better and faster automatic adjustment of the many settings required for good indoor photography. And, hopefully allow the addition of lenses which might make indoor shots even better. Sure a tripod could work, but I think we're trying to avoid that.

I think some of the folks offering the above suggestions may be missing the point here. You do not need a DSLR camera for what you are doing. That is total overkill, and in fact may be less desirable than a simple 6--8 megapixel point and shoot camera with a 3x zoom lens and with image stabilization. Image stabilization will allow you to get non-blurred photos in much less light than a camera without.

There are a great many cameras in the $250--$400 price range that meet these criteria. Look for something with a maximum aperture of f2.8 (that is probably the most common). Or follow some of the suggestions above and look for a camera with a hot-shoe that will support an external flash -- although for the kinds of pictures you describe (small groups, indoors) the camera's built-in flash will probably prove adequate.

Don't fall into the "megapixel trap", either. A 10 megapixel camera will not necessarily produce better pictures than a 6 megapixel camera, even though that is the key specification that manufacturers promote and buyers look for. In the case of a large zoom ratio camera (8x or greater) the physical constraints of the lens design dictates a physically quite small CCD sensor. The more pixels you stick onto that sensor, the closer together the pixels have to be placed on the sensor. Closer together = more noise. As counter-intuitive as it seems, the camera I am getting ready to buy for myself (Panasonic DMC FZ50) would actually produce higher quality pictures (at ISO settings >200) if the CCD sensor were 6 megapixels instead ot the actual 10 set by the manufacturer.

DSLRs are nice -- if you don't mind spending two, three, even five times the money for similar performance, and don't mind lugging around a bunch of lenses for different shooting situations. Yes, a DSLR has a physically larger CCD chip and for the same number of megapixels under the same lighting conditions will give less noise in the picture. But unless you are shooting pictures at high ISO settings (ISO >400) to be printed in large sizes on glossy paper...you'll never see the difference.

tanstaafl.

#295683 - 22/03/2007 00:55 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: tanstaafl.]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Thanks again for all of your feedback. Tomorrow at work, I will check on P&S and the Canon and Nikon recommendations specifically regarding the F Stop and other settings mentioned above.

Yes, the requester of the purchase is in the megapixel trap. I am in the "DSLR's must have features to fix all problems" trap. Namely, there must be a good lens specifically for indoor press pictures. If Canon has the most lens options, maybe I should try them.

I'm not sure I trust image stabilization. Isn't it just like ground loop fixers for car stereo - a hack at the problem, but not a real solution? Optical image stabilization from Canon seems like much less of a hack than digital image stabilization (which I can't find a description of) in the Pentax. Still, a hack, which a proper lens and proper knowledge of its use would overcome. Right?

Oh, and I don't know how far from the subject the camera will be. I'm guessing from 3 feet to 50 feet (many rows back in a small lecture room). I'm guessing lighting will be flourescent, maybe flood, rarely natural. I'll review this and request problematic examples from the requestor.

#295684 - 22/03/2007 03:45 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: FireFox31]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I'm not sure I trust image stabilization. Isn't it just like ground loop fixers for car stereo - a hack at the problem, but not a real solution? Optical image stabilization from Canon seems like much less of a hack than digital image stabilization (which I can't find a description of) in the Pentax. Still, a hack, which a proper lens and proper knowledge of its use would overcome. Right?

Uhhhh... no.

Proper lens and knowledge of its use have nothing to do with camera motion at the moment of exposure.

Image Stabilization uses motion sensors built into the camera to compensate for any movement or shake of the camera as the picture is being taken. It actually moves the lens elements very slightly to keep the image focused in the same spot on the CCD sensor. It will allow you to hand-hold a camera with shutter speeds four (or more) times slower then you could without IS, and still get acceptable pictures. For example, 1/60 of a second is normally considered the slowest "hand-holdable" shutter speed for most people. With a good IS system, you can get the same results at 1/15 second, and with steady hands, even pictures taken at 1/8 second will be usable. Optical IS does seem to get better results than software IS, but any IS helps a great deal.

Quote:
Namely, there must be a good lens specifically for indoor press pictures.

There is no such thing. There are good lenses and there are poor lenses, but they aren't categorized by what kind of pictures you use them for. What makes a lens "good" is its sharpness, its light-gathering capability, and its freedom from distortion. All lenses are compromises. For instance, a DSLR lens can have better sharpness, better light gathering, and less distortion, but this will come at the expense of versatility and price. I don't think you will find much better than a 3:1 zoom ratio on a DSLR lens. This would make transitioning from a shooting range of "...3 feet to 50 feet (many rows back in a small lecture room)" problematical without having more than one lens. By contrast, the Panasonic camera I mentioned has a 12:1 optical zoom. If I set the camera into 3 megapixel mode, the zoom ratio extends to more than 20:1. That means I can have the same image size at 200 feet away as I would have if the subject were just 10 feet away. You'd need a wheelbarrow to carry around all the lenses a DSLR would need to have that same versatility.

I highly recommend that you go to dpreview.com, pick virtually any camera at random and read their full in-depth review, not to learn about that camera, but to gain a great deal of knowledge about digital photography in general. I used to be a professional photographer (no big deal -- it was just supplemental income, shooting car races and the occasional wedding, but I did it for money and had a business license so I guess that made me a professional) in the days before digital cameras, and just about everything I know about digital I learned by studying the reviews at dpreview.com.

tanstaafl.

#295685 - 22/03/2007 13:19 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: tanstaafl.]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I just wrote a long post that got eaten by the page being timed out. Grumble. Here's a shorter summary.

Image stabilization is a nice feature, but for you, have a look at a tripod. They're cheap, they work with most any camera (save the smallest point-and-shoot models), and they stabilize the camera perfectly. What they don't do is stabilize the subject (damn people moving all on their own!).

For that, you've got three options:

- a faster lens (I'm quite happy with my 50mm f/1.8 prime, which I got for $100)
- a flash or flash system of some kind (at the extreme, you can permanently install radio-controlled strobes in the room)
- higher ISO (helps any camera see in the dark; costs you something in image quality; the Canon 5D is the present king of high-ISO performance, but most any new D-SLR will do very well)

#295686 - 22/03/2007 15:16 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: DWallach]
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
http://www.dpreview.com for all your DSLR review needs

#295687 - 22/03/2007 23:31 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: tanstaafl.]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Thanks again guys. I had my coworker read dpreview and he selected the Pentax. I'll give it a second look now that I've got the information here. A "faster lens", that's what I'm curious about.

#295688 - 23/03/2007 04:41 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: FireFox31]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

"Faster" is a short-hand way of saying that the lens has a wider aperture, typically expressed with a lower f-stop number. To give some concrete numbers, my Nikon 18-70mm zoom's max aperture ranges from f/3.5 to f/4.5, while my Nikon 50mm prime's max aperture is f/1.8. The prime lens is two to three "stops" brighter than the zoom at max aperture. Stops are factors of two. If you make the lens twice as bright, then you can expose for half the time, thus better freezing motion. Two stops is the difference between 1/8 second and 1/30 second. No matter what kind of image stabilization you have with a 1/8 second exposure, your subject can still move, yielding a blurry picture. With a 1/30 second exposure, you've got a better chance of freezing your subject. If you then pushed your ISO another two stops, you're up to 1/125 second exposure, which will do a pretty good job of freezing motion and without giving up much, if any, image quality.

If you've, in fact, decided to go with Pentax, then the lenses I'd look at buying (with rounded prices given from B&H's web site):

Pentax 50mm f/1.4: $195 (after rebate)
Sigma 30mm f/1.4: $429

This contrasts with their high-end zoom:

Pentax 16-50mm f/2.8: $900 (or $409 for the Sigma lens with similar specs)

You get two stops of extra brightness, relative to the "expensive" standard zoom, or three stops relative to the cheaper, typically bundled with the camera, standard zoom. The only downside of using prime lenses is that you zoom with your feet, although you also have to deal with the lower depth of field. "Fast" lenses like this get the subject is reasonably good focus, but anything just in front or just in behind will be out of focus. To some photographers, this sort of things is a very desirable feature. To others, it's really annoying, because if the autofocus misses the target, you get garbage. Also, if you need anything wider-angle than 30mm, you don't have many choices.

Before shelling out the bucks on all these lenses, you can take the cheap zoom that comes with the camera, and set it at 30mm or 50mm, and see how that perspective works from wherever you're taking your pictures. If you like that field of view, then you may choose to shell out for the prime lens.

#295689 - 23/03/2007 12:58 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: FireFox31]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Stops are factors of two.

And the very confusing "full" F-stop numbers (1.0, 1.4, 2.0, 2.8, 4.0, 5.6, 8.0, ...) are approximate square roots of those various powers of two.

EDIT: Each successive number in that sequence (above) represents a halving of the amount of light getting to the film/sensor. So f2.0 means *double* the brightness of f2.8..

Knowing that helped me a lot when I was first learning about this stuff 30 years ago.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (23/03/2007 14:10)

#295690 - 23/03/2007 13:49 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
The only downside of using prime lenses is that you zoom with your feet

Although it seems to me that if your intended end-product doesn't need to be super-high resolution, screw it. Shoot it in the middle of the frame and crop.

#295691 - 24/03/2007 00:46 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: DWallach]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Dan, everything you say is true.

But...

Quote:
Image stabilization is a nice feature, but for you, have a look at a tripod. They're cheap, they work with most any camera (save the smallest point-and-shoot models), and they stabilize the camera perfectly. What they don't do is stabilize the subject (damn people moving all on their own!).

I guess that for his shooting situation, a tripod is viable, although he did say they were trying to avoid that. That idea hadn't entered my head becaue it doesn't match my shooting style. It's enough work just to carry the camera around, never mind a tripod and a bag full of lenses. You're right, though, under his circusmstances, a tripod is a poor-mans IS system!

Quote:
If you've, in fact, decided to go with Pentax, then the lenses I'd look at buying (with rounded prices given from B&H's web site):

Pentax 50mm f/1.4: $195 (after rebate)
Sigma 30mm f/1.4: $429

Ummm... you need to add another lens or two to the list, I think. Remember, he said he'd be shooting at quite a range of distances (
Quote:
Oh, and I don't know how far from the subject the camera will be. I'm guessing from 3 feet to 50 feet (many rows back in a small lecture room)
) and a 50mm lens isn't going to do it. At 50 feet he'll need at least 200mm, maybe more. Now we're talking the big bucks!

Sidebar: With a DSLR, do the lens focal lengths refer to the actual focal length of the lens, or is it like the P&S cameras, where the numbers refer to 35mm equivalents?

I know what I would do in his situation, but I'm not he, and don't claim that my way would be best for him. I'd use a P&S camera with at least 5 megapixels, a 6:1 zoom, and a hot shoe for external flash. A nice, neat, all-in-one package that is inexpensive, versatile, easy to carry, simple to use, and it will give perfectly acceptable pictures. Of course it doesn't have the cachet, the "wow factor" of a 10 megapixel DSLR with a bag full of interchangeable lenses, but for a quarter the price (or less) it would do what he needs.

tanstaafl.

#295692 - 24/03/2007 01:00 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: tanstaafl.]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Sidebar: With a DSLR, do the lens focal lengths refer to the actual focal length of the lens, or is it like the P&S cameras, where the numbers refer to 35mm equivalents?

They are the real actual focal lengths.

But the field of view (FOV) is smaller for the same focal length. Nikon DSLRs give a 50mm lens the field of view of a 75mm lens -- a straight 1.5x multiplier for any lens used.

Canon has three different DSLR ranges and FOVs: 1.6x, 1.3x, and 1.0x.

Confused yet?

#295693 - 25/03/2007 17:27 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: DWallach]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Quote:
"Fast" lenses like this get the subject is reasonably good focus, but anything just in front or just in behind will be out of focus.

I'm pretty sure this is what the requestor is after. They may also want some focus throughout the surrounding field, so I'll check into that too.

Thanks for all of the good information. I will process this later, on work time, since it's a work purchase.

And I agree with Doug: I'd love to get them a P&S with good IS and good flash, but I may be up against the mentality that bigger is better.

#295694 - 25/03/2007 18:04 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: FireFox31]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
I'm pretty sure this is what the requestor is after. They may also want some focus throughout the surrounding field, so I'll check into that too.

If you want a large depth of field (all things in focus) you can select aperture priority mode and select a high f-stop. The smaller the focal length , the less this will be necessary however. Depth of field decreases with focal length for a given lens opening.

I'm not sure if the Pentax camera you select has depth of field preview, but many SLRs do. This lets you preview what the actual depth of field will be for whatever aperture setting you have selected for the shot. For normal viewing, the lens is always left wide open for the brightest image which isn't necessarily what you or your camera has selected.

Stu

#295695 - 25/03/2007 18:21 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: FireFox31]
MarkM
stranger

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I've been shooting digital since 1996. I have owned a variety of cameras that would take a paragraph to list and many thousands of dollars. I like the Canon line - the 10D, 20D or 30D are very nice and would be fine for what you're looking for. Don't be afraid to buy used - you'll save a ton of money buying last year's model. Many of my friends like the Nikon D70 and D100. The 10D, 20D and 30D have really low noise at higher ISO, which is why I'd recommend any of these.

I also have 3 point and shoot cameras in the house. For weddings or events, the point and shoots stay home unless I want to capture video clips.

One thing you'll gain on a DSLR is practically zero shutter lag. If you need to capture an expression, it's dumb luck if you can capture it with most point and shoot cameras.

If budget is an issue, get one of the cheaper Rebel DSLRs or Nikon D50\D70 and put your money into a good lens and external flash. If you get a body\lens package - the focal length is usually good, but the lens won't be fast enough as described in earlier posts.

Good lenses for Canon:
17-35 f/2.8, 16-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8. If you are free to move around, the 17-35 f/2.8 is a fine "press" lens. The 24-70 f/2.8 is nice, but it is heavy. The 70-200mm f/2.8 is also a nice lens if you want to get farther away from your subjects. The 50mm is so cheap, you should get that lens regardless.

From what I've found, image stabilized lenses do not work for this kind of work unless your subjects hold still. Everything around the podium will be sharp, and any movement from the subject will cause blur. If you're thinking Canon's 28-135mm IS lens will do the trick - forget it - it's a crappy lens for this kind of work. Don't forget, opening up the lens kills your depth of field, a higher ISO and flash help.

Best of luck.

Mark

#295696 - 25/03/2007 18:35 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: tahir]
Jehovah
new poster

I invented tripods to keep certain, eh, market segments happy. Consider a monopod. Less baggage

#295697 - 26/03/2007 01:44 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: FireFox31]
MarkM
stranger

One thing I forgot to mention. When switching from point and shoot to SLR, don't be surprised if your pictures take a turn for the worse until you get the hang of it. At least practicing is cheap.

#295698 - 26/03/2007 02:47 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: MarkM]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
don't be surprised if your pictures take a turn for the worse

..which will happen, by the way, because the SLR has much less depth of field than the P&S camera, even at the "same" F-stops. This is due to the relationship between focal length and the physical sensor size.

The DSLR will be much more fussy about correct focus.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (26/03/2007 02:48)

#295699 - 26/03/2007 04:03 Re: Tips for buying a digital SLR? [Re: mlord]
MarkM
stranger

Shallow depth of field examples...just for fun.

Blades of grass with tiny drops of dew.
http://www.mystreamland.com/crw_4418.htm

http://www.mystreamland.com/crw_4413.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >