Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#320330 - 14/03/2009 01:47 USB mouse occasionally quits working from hub
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Every once in a while my USB mouse, which is plugged into a 7-port externally-powered hub, stops mousing. If I unplug it from the hub and plug it directly into one of the USB ports on the computer, it immediately starts working again. If I plug it back into the hub, it doesn't work. Other peripherals plugged into the hub continue to work (empeg, Karma, camera, scanner, printer, ipod) but not the mouse. Plugging the mouse into one of the other hub outlets does not make it start working. Rebooting the computer does make it work. Sometimes (maybe always?) if I leave it plugged into the computer USB port for a few hours and then plug it back into the hub (without rebooting) it will work again.

This is not a serious problem, I am just kind of curious about what could be causing such behavior. Maybe the inverse capacitance bias modulation rectifier needs tweaking or something.

tanstaafl.

#320332 - 14/03/2009 02:01 Re: USB mouse occasionally quits working from hub [Re: tanstaafl.]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I had similar issues while using a 4-port hub UNPOWERED connected to a 15 foot USB cable both with my keyboard and mouse. Sometimes one, sometimes both. Sometimes replug would bring it back, other times it wouldn't (until a reboot).

My whole setup has changed since then (new mobo, no longer using a hub nor 15 foot USB extension cable). So I have no idea if it was an issue with the mobo, the peripheral or just the flaky OS (Windows of course smile )

#320336 - 14/03/2009 03:30 Re: USB mouse occasionally quits working from hub [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have also had trouble with mice plugged into hubs. As previously mentioned: Is it a powered hub?

Personally, I'd just leave the fucker plugged straight into the computer all the time and use the hub for everything else.

#320348 - 14/03/2009 10:09 Re: USB mouse occasionally quits working from hub [Re: tfabris]
StigOE
addict

I had somewhat of a similar problem recently. I had turned off my computer and when I turned it on a couple of days later, the monitors wouldn't come on and I wouldn't get the passed-POST-beep. Tried several times, no change. Tried two different graphics cards, no change. One time I tried, I had managed to unplug the cable going to a 7-port powered hub and it passed the POST. Turned off the machine and installed the original graphics card again and the machine would start up when the hub was unplugged. Plugged the hub back in and the machine comtinued to boot up and I didn't have any problems after that (I didn't shut down the machine until I had to leave for work so I don't know how it will bwhave when I get back). This was a 7-port powered hub from DX.

Stig

#320350 - 14/03/2009 13:46 Re: USB mouse occasionally quits working from hub [Re: StigOE]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: StigOE
I had somewhat of a similar problem recently. I had turned off my computer and when I turned it on a couple of days later, the monitors wouldn't come on and I wouldn't get the passed-POST-beep. ... One time I tried, I had managed to unplug the cable going to a 7-port powered hub and it passed the POST. ... the machine would start up when the hub was unplugged. ... This was a 7-port powered hub from DX.

Stig

I had (still have) exactly that problem, and I am convinced that Tony absolutely nailed the cause. The problem persists to this day, and I have just learned to live with it by briefly unplugging the power supply to the hub on reboot if I have powered down the whole system. BTW, the hub seems to work just fine whether its power supply is connected or not.

tanstaafl.

#320354 - 14/03/2009 20:05 Re: USB mouse occasionally quits working from hub [Re: tanstaafl.]
StigOE
addict

Ah, yes, I remember reading that you had this problem as well. Thanks for reminding me.

Stig

#320355 - 14/03/2009 22:52 Re: USB mouse occasionally quits working from hub [Re: tanstaafl.]
Mojo
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: wikipedia
Some powered hubs do not supply enough power to support a 500mA load on every port. For example, many 7 port hubs come with a 1A power adapter, when in fact seven ports could draw a maximum of 7 x 0.5 = 3.5A, plus power for the hub itself. The assumption is that the user will most likely connect many low power devices and only one or two requiring a full 500mA.

Get a new hub.