Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#324938 - 06/08/2009 18:49 Macbook (nVidia 9400M) SATA problems
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I have a white Macbook with nVidia graphics (latest model) and there is something funny going on. I first noticed a problem when I inserted a blank DVD-R for writing. No burning software (including Disk Utility) would recognize that a disc was in the drive. Then it became apparent that OSX didn't see a drive at all as there is no device listed under Disc Burning in System Profiler.

At that point, I was unable to eject the disc normally. I tried various methods before this one worked. Obviously, the optical drive is being powered since I was able to trick the drive into ejecting the disc.

Just to make sure there wasn't something weird with the DVD-R, I inserted a traditional CD into the Macbook's drive. Same thing happened and I was only able to extract it the same way as before.

I'm trying to think if I ever used this optical drive before and I don't think I have. So, it may have just been screwed from the start. However, I did upgrade the hard drive and memory in this machine myself. Right now, when I go to Serial-ATA in System Profiler, I get an error saying "There was an error while scanning for Serial-ATA devices." But, my hard disk does show up in Disk Utility. I'm not sure what to make of this and I'm not sure what I can do with regards to having Apple fix it.

Is there a potential problem with the hard drive that's causing the optical drive to act up? If Apple sees that I've replaced the drive, will that void any warranty? Should I bother to purchase another SATA drive just to test if the system will work properly with another model or brand?

The drive in there now is a WD Scorpio Blue 500GB. People are apparently happily using it in their Macs. Maybe I just got a dud?

Any suggestions on how to proceed or troubleshooting tips?

#324939 - 06/08/2009 19:04 Re: Macbook (nVidia 9400M) SATA problems [Re: robricc]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Just remove the suspect hard drive and try booting from a Leopard DVD. SATA doesn't have master/slave relationships, so it seems unlikely that one's affecting the other, but anything's possible.

#324942 - 06/08/2009 19:43 Re: Macbook (nVidia 9400M) SATA problems [Re: matthew_k]
drakino
carpal tunnel

The hard drive (and memory) in a Macbook is considered a user replaceable part, and assuming you didn't jam a screwdriver in the empty bay and leave damage marks, Apple will service it.

Try what Matt suggested first to narrow down the problem, then call up Apple to have it serviced.

Edited by drakino (06/08/2009 19:45)
Edit Reason: added pdf service doc

#324947 - 06/08/2009 20:55 Re: Macbook (nVidia 9400M) SATA problems [Re: robricc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I'd be inclined to think that you accidentally disconnected the data connection to the optical drive while you were in there. Worth checking. Unless the connection is impossible to disconnect.

#324985 - 07/08/2009 23:19 Re: Macbook (nVidia 9400M) SATA problems [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA

#325022 - 11/08/2009 05:15 Re: Macbook (nVidia 9400M) SATA problems [Re: matthew_k]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Originally Posted By: matthew_k
Just remove the suspect hard drive and try booting from a Leopard DVD. SATA doesn't have master/slave relationships, so it seems unlikely that one's affecting the other, but anything's possible.

Pretty sure the white macbook has a PATA DVD drive (and SATA HDD). At least that's what the last-gen mbp had in it... it does sound like a connector gone adrift though.

Do you get the whirr-whirr noise from the optical drive when the mac comes out of sleep?

#325032 - 11/08/2009 13:18 Re: Macbook (nVidia 9400M) SATA problems [Re: altman]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: altman
Do you get the whirr-whirr noise from the optical drive when the mac comes out of sleep?

No.

I think something is disconnected inside although the drive does have power. I'm getting ready to send it out for service.