Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#331987 - 10/04/2010 21:01 Cross platform com port redirection
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I need to connect to the serial port on the modulator of my shiny new DVB-T transmitter which lives up on a hill outside Manchester. The software to control the modulator runs on a windoze PC which I want to move back to the office. Normally I'd use a serial device server like a Moxa NPort 5150, but I need to get it going ASAP. So seeing as I already have a Linux box doing dialup remote access on the site. I'd like to use the 2nd serial port on it to tunnel the serial data back to the office to appear as a virtual com-port on the client PC so the software thinks it's still physically connected to the modulator.

I've found a linux->linux solution called remserial which I could use with a 2nd linux box back in the office which would then have to be connected to the client pc with a null modem lead. Ideally I'd like to do away with the 2nd linux box and have the windows pc talk directly to the linux box on site.

Anyone have any ideas?

Andy M

#331996 - 11/04/2010 02:14 Re: Cross platform com port redirection [Re: andym]
tman
carpal tunnel

remserial on the remote end and something like Lantronix Com Port Redirector or com0com on the local Windows side?

I've used the Lantronix software before but it was with their device server boxes. I think it still works even if you're not using their devices...

#332131 - 15/04/2010 21:24 Re: Cross platform com port redirection [Re: tman]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I finally got round to sorting this out. It appears the combination of remserial and tcp2com did the trick.

Andy M