Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#333551 - 01/06/2010 08:20 New Music From Rush
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Having been away, not sure if many Rush fans still around, but the two new singles are completely amazing. As in, I thought their last album was fantastic, but this is even better- their best work in years. If you have ever liked Rush, definitely check these songs out ("Caravan" and "BU2B").

#333591 - 01/06/2010 19:36 Re: New Music From Rush [Re: JeffS]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm still a slobbering Rush fan, so I'm thrilled to hear about a new album. On the 11th, I'm going to go see the award-winning documentary film "Beyond the Lighted Stage" about them at a theater.

#333606 - 02/06/2010 05:25 Re: New Music From Rush [Re: tfabris]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Yeah- I don't know that I'm going to be able to catch that in the theaters, but can't wait for it to hit DVD- and the tour where they'll be playing MP in its entirety.

After some thought and letting the new songs sink in- while I still think the two new cuts are better than the majority of S&A, I think I like "Far Cry" slightly better- FC just has a hookier chorus while still rocking out. The instrumental breakdown on "Caravan" is completely awesome though.

#333636 - 02/06/2010 19:40 Re: New Music From Rush [Re: JeffS]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I'm disappointed, though, because they're coming through this area and they're playing the outdoor amphitheater again.

Normally the amphitheater gigs are great, it's what they've been doing lately. Amphitheaters are generally awesome gigs, and I much prefer them to arena and stadium shows.

The problem is that if they come to Seattle, it means that they play the White River Amphitheater. It's a nice enough place as amphitheaters go, but as you can see from the map, it's accessed by miles and miles of little residential roads. The traffic backup when leaving the concert is mind-boggling. I saw Rush there once, and I shall never, ever return. I don't care if someone gets me free tickets... that traffic jam getting out of the place is beyond all levels of rational tolerance.

Based on my new chosen home here in the Pacific Northwest, this means I may be destined to never see them play live again. That actually makes me a little teary-eyed.

#333640 - 02/06/2010 20:27 Re: New Music From Rush [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: tfabris
they play the White River Amphitheater

You are right. That is a silly place to put an amphitheater in terms of traffic management.

However, there is a solution. It involves a different mindset. Go to the concert with a group of friends, and when the concert is over, take your time, go unhurriedly to your car, get in and have a two hour party. Oh, not funny hats and booze, but just a two hour session with friends. Play games, listen to music, argue about whether the rooster crows because the sun comes up or whether the sun comes up because the rooster crows. Look at all the tight-jawed idiots maneuvering and taking chances to gain a two car length advantage over someone else, and laugh at them.

You'll find that this part of the evening is almost as enjoyable as the concert itself. When everybody's gone, have a nice stress-free drive home.

Another alternative is to park two miles away where there is access to easy egress from the area and have a nice half-hour walk to and from the concert. SWMBO used to do this at the Shoreline Amphitheater in Palo Alto. This won't work at White River, because if you parked six miles away you'd still be on little congested farm roads.

I wouldn't be quite so quick to give up on live Rush concerts.

tanstaafl.

#333641 - 02/06/2010 20:33 Re: New Music From Rush [Re: tfabris]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

I have such a hard time getting motivated to get tickets just because no one I know likes Rush, and then always regret missing them. VT was the last time I saw Rush, and it was (like always) completely awesome. I have yet to see anyone live in Atlanta, and Rush will probably be the only band to get me out- (save for maybe if Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, and Fly Leaf tour together again- not anywhere near Rush, but some of the only current music I actually like, and my wife would enjoy that concert).

I really do need to see them one more time, and seeing them play MP will probably be the trick to get me out this time.

#333650 - 02/06/2010 22:28 Re: New Music From Rush [Re: JeffS]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Wait, this is the first time I really paid attention when you said "play MP".

They're going to do Moving Pictures, beginning to end, in concert? I didn't know that. That would be awesome.

I've never seen them play Camera Eye live. I don't think they've done it since the Moving Pictures tour itself.

Wow.

#333661 - 03/06/2010 02:36 Re: New Music From Rush [Re: tfabris]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tfabris
Wait, this is the first time I really paid attention when you said "play MP".

They're going to do Moving Pictures, beginning to end, in concert? I didn't know that. That would be awesome.

I've never seen them play Camera Eye live. I don't think they've done it since the Moving Pictures tour itself.

Wow.
Yes, they are playing the entire album, including the Camera Eye (see "An Evening with RUSH - Featuring for the First Time Ever MOVING PICTURES IN ITS ENTIRETY" at Rush.com). Being one of the greatest rock albums of all time- well- pretty tempting, no?

#333709 - 03/06/2010 20:45 Re: New Music From Rush [Re: JeffS]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

"One of"?

#333965 - 11/06/2010 15:34 Re: New Music From Rush [Re: tfabris]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Ok, saw the documentry last night. It was amazing. I think it would probably be interesting for anyone who like music at all, whether you care for Rush or not.

I had no idea how limited a showing it was- I just went to the theater 10 minutes from my house not realizing that it was the only showing in GA- some people drove 7 hours to see this thing! It will be available on DVD in about a month though, and I cannot recommend it enough.

#333976 - 11/06/2010 17:19 Re: New Music From Rush [Re: JeffS]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I'm so glad to hear it. My showing is tonight, I'm looking forward to it.