Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#338808 - 30/10/2010 14:40 Ethical question
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I had a bunch of files I needed to convert from image (*.png) to PDF. I downloaded a trial version of an expensive ($399) program that was limited to converting a total of 100 files, after that you had to purchase the program. This was a good program, it operated in batch mode, was fast, accurate, and had flexible naming conventions.

I used the trial version with no intention of buying it, I don't anticipate ever having to do this kind of conversion again. After I converted my files, I said "Thank you very much, adios, goodbye", deleted it from my computer and sat there happily looking at my new PDF file.

Was this unethical behavior? In view of the extraordinary price they were asking for the program, and that there is software available for download to do the same thing for free (including my own Adobe Acrobat program) although not as conveniently, I don't feel too guilty.

tanstaafl.

#338809 - 30/10/2010 14:55 Re: Ethical question [Re: tanstaafl.]
Redrum
old hand

IMO - With the trial version letting you convert 100 files, and with a price of $399 this product’s targets audience is a business user not really an individual.

I wouldn’t feel bad because:

«» You never would have bought it to begin with at that price
«» You didn’t hack the program to steal what you needed you took what was free

It sounds like you were happy with the program and I have a feeling you might recommend this product to anyone in the business world (or someone with a lot of money and a need) so that’s good PR for the software makers and word of mouth sells. In the long run you might provide them with more than just your $399.

#338815 - 30/10/2010 19:10 Re: Ethical question [Re: Redrum]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
They provide the limits they do for a reason. To allow not only evaluation but for one-time users to be able to get a small job done. Perhaps at a later time you'll be able to recommend it to someone who will become a customer or possibly find a true need for it in your own workflow.

So not only is it ethical, it's what the developers are expecting from people in your situation IMO.

Now you can do them a favor and mention the name of the program and provide a link, that could possibly be worth a couple of sales down the road.

#338825 - 30/10/2010 20:01 Re: Ethical question [Re: hybrid8]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Now you can do them a favor and mention the name of the program and provide a link,

Linky

They have a whole suite of programs that must be purchased individually, mostly having to do with file format conversion, averaging about $500 each, the whole package would cost something north of $8,000. The module I used was called "Convert Image to PDF", a descriptive if unimaginative name.

tanstaafl.

#338828 - 30/10/2010 20:19 Re: Ethical question [Re: tanstaafl.]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
With a Mac you can do that for free with built-in tools. smile

#338846 - 30/10/2010 23:48 Re: Ethical question [Re: hybrid8]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
Photoshop can do this as well, as a batch process.

#338847 - 31/10/2010 00:00 Re: Ethical question [Re: larry818]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I can't see this as unethical. The maker of the probably rather have you buy it but you weren't cracking it or anything shady to use it longer than the trial so I don't think it's unethical.

Matt

#338850 - 31/10/2010 02:03 Re: Ethical question [Re: msaeger]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Not everything allowed is ethical, but in this case I think you are well within the bounds of ethics. I have downloaded many trials and used apps with no intention of buying, and it turns out there are a very few I HAVE purchased. Even in cases where I was certain I wouldn't buy, I'll bet the company would love to take the chance on me anyway, on the off chance I was that one exeption they could convince, or that at the least I might tell others about a good experience I had.

Anyway, the previous point about the pricing is spot on. They weren't pricing it for your needs, so it doesn't hurt anyone for you to work within their trial and dump it. They have bigger fish to fry and they can only benefit from your usage (word of mouth praise, etc); there is no downside to them if you arent in their target market.

#338907 - 01/11/2010 17:10 Re: Ethical question [Re: JeffS]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: JeffS
Not everything allowed is ethical,

And, of course, not everything that's disallowed is unethical. smile

#338909 - 01/11/2010 17:20 Re: Ethical question [Re: canuckInOR]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Scofflaw!