Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#341275 - 18/01/2011 04:29 Anyone watch Mad Men?
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I keep reading, including on Wikipedia, that the main character, Don Draper, was in the Korean War, even though I was under the impression it was Korea in World War II.

I thought I'd seen the date "1944" written in a subtitle during a particular flash back but now I can't remember what episode it might have been in. It wasn't in the flashbacks I just checked.

The timeline seems like it would be really messed up if he should have been in Korea - lots of inconsistencies with references in a lot of episodes. However if the war the date is actually supposed to be 1944 it all fits pretty nicely.

He's supposed to be 36 in season 1 which is in 1960, which would have made him 20 in 1944. His brother would have then been 24 in 1960 as his brother said he was 8 when he last saw Don. This also gives the character some time to do the things referenced (and shown) in the later seasons, such as take night school college courses, work at a car dealership, move to New York and work at the fur store. Al before being hired at Sterling Cooper and having been there "10 years" as I recall also being referenced in season 1 or 2.

The odd bit out is that in the first war flashback, his commanding officer makes a remark about him not mistaking him for the Chinese. This would be more apt to the Korean War, as he should have said Japanese for WW2.

The Korean war went from 1950 to 1953 and really makes a mess of the timeline. Even if he was there in 1950, it means the brother character would only be 18 in 1960 - they should have cast a younger actor. It means that there's no way that he could have been at the ad agency for 10 years in 1960/1.

Just seems like sloppy continuity/background work on a show that's otherwise really solidly put together.

Edited by hybrid8 (18/01/2011 12:22)

#341277 - 18/01/2011 10:07 Re: Anyone watch Mad Men? [Re: hybrid8]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
If you have any doubts about the validity of any Wikipedia article, assume it is wrong. The great thing is that folks that are knowledgeable can contribute articles. The bad thing is that folks that *think* they are knowledgeable can also contribute articles.

#341278 - 18/01/2011 11:30 Re: Anyone watch Mad Men? [Re: Tim]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I never thought he was in WWII. They always said he was "in Korea," and Sterling was the one who was in WWII.

But I agree, the rest of your math seems to raise questions.
Originally Posted By: Tim
If you have any doubts about the validity of any Wikipedia article, assume it is wrong. The great thing is that folks that are knowledgeable can contribute articles. The bad thing is that folks that *think* they are knowledgeable can also contribute articles.

Ugh, really? You're one of those Wikipedia distrusters? I thought we were past this.

You're basing the entire explanation of Bruno's question that Wikipedia is wrong? Have you thought that perhaps this show just has some errors in it? Because most of what Bruno has presented is stuff I remember straight from the show, in addition to well-known facts. Unless you're saying that Wikipedia is incorrect about the years of the Korean War (which I highly doubt), Bruno's whole issue boils down to this:

The Korean War was from 1950-1953. Season 1 is in 1960. In-between, Don supposedly packed in about 15-20 years into 7-10.

#341279 - 18/01/2011 12:08 Re: Anyone watch Mad Men? [Re: Dignan]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I am saying if you remember something different from what Wikipedia has, check other sources and don't instantly assume you are wrong.

#341280 - 18/01/2011 12:24 Re: Anyone watch Mad Men? [Re: Tim]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Technically it could have al worked had they placed him in WWII. There were certainly 20 year olds in WWII, but then there were also 26 year olds in Korea, so Matt is correct, I'm just wondering about the very tight timeline between the Korean War and the premiere of the show in 1960. Don was already Creative Director at that time and pretty much one of the most senior positions, not counting partners.

In the show I know they've mentioned Korea a number of times so it's also not an issue of where he was. They haven't mentioned specifically that it was the Korean War that I recall - that's what prompted this whole line of thought. That and I thought I'd read the date 1944 on screen.

Edited by hybrid8 (18/01/2011 12:25)

#341331 - 19/01/2011 12:24 Re: Anyone watch Mad Men? [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: Tim
I am saying if you remember something different from what Wikipedia has, check other sources and don't instantly assume you are wrong.

And I'm saying that this line of thinking, if that's the way you think, should not be specific to Wikipedia. I'm just tired of the instant distrust people have for the site. Besides, a good article on there will already have links to their sources.

And I'm also saying that Bruno's confusion has nothing to do with Wikipedia at all, and whether it's right or wrong, but you seem to still be implying that.

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
In the show I know they've mentioned Korea a number of times so it's also not an issue of where he was. They haven't mentioned specifically that it was the Korean War that I recall - that's what prompted this whole line of thought. That and I thought I'd read the date 1944 on screen.

You are correct on all counts. I've specifically noted this while watching the show. I keep wondering why they never say "the Korean War," but then again I think it might be because they were so close to it. These days we say that someone was "in Iraq" or "in Afghanistan" for the most part. At that time, they probably also weren't saying "World War Two," but I really don't have any concrete knowledge of that. Perhaps if there were a Wikipedia article... wink

I think another question would be: which war did Roger Sterling fight in? We know it was an earlier war than Don's, and one that Sterling considers a "better" war. One problem is that I'm not sure how old Sterling is supposed to be (and his -possibly prematurely - gray hair doesn't help the guessing). But assuming he's maybe 45-50 in season 1, that would make him anywhere from 24-35 during the years of WWII. That seems slightly old. On the other hand, I don't seem him being in his mid-late 60's and having fought in WWI. Besides, he holds a distinct dislike for the Japanese...

So I really think it was the Korean War that Don fought in. I agree, though, that it doesn't make sense. Even if he was sent home early in the war, say 1951, like you said he worked in a car dealership, took night courses, lived with Anna for - I believe -two years, then worked in a fur shop, then worked in Sterling Cooper long enough to be the most important man there and seem very settled in. You're right, that seems to add up to far more than 7 to 9 years.

#341359 - 20/01/2011 04:14 Re: Anyone watch Mad Men? [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Just finished the last episode of the current season (4). Damn, AMC is really on a roll. Network TV just doesn't have anything that even comes close to their top three shows.

If I could have changed one thing about Mad Men, it would probably have been to slow down the rate a which time passes during and outside of each season. We're already more than 5 years into the story after 4 seasons of 13 episodes each. Sometimes I want to see a little more business and there just doesn't seem to be enough time for it while advancing the other story lines.

I really hope AMC don't make me wait until next Fall for more. smile That said, Starz' prequel to Spartacus starts tomorrow. wink