Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#342239 - 13/02/2011 02:21 Anyone trying IE9
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Anyone trying out the RC for IE9 ?

I have been using Chrome exclusively for a while because it was a lot faster than Firefox and IE8 just sucked.

IE9 looks almost identical to Chrome and seems just as fast or maybe even faster.

Had some trouble getting it installed and I can't figure out how the add ons work exactly. Like I installed mouse gestures and can't figure out where you configure it.

There doesn't seem to be spell checking built in. There is an add on for it but you have to tell it to spell check instead of it just happening while you type like Chrome and Firefox do.

Don't think I will switch from Chrome at this point but it is a huge improvement over IE8.

Edited by msaeger (13/02/2011 03:17)

Matt

#342240 - 13/02/2011 02:58 Re: Anyone trying IE9 [Re: msaeger]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I'll install it at some point for verification of sites I work on, but that's about it. I don't do any browsing in Windows, it's just not suited for day to day computing and the web.

Are they releasing a version of Mac OS or iOS? wink

#342241 - 13/02/2011 08:06 Re: Anyone trying IE9 [Re: msaeger]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I've had it installed for some time, mainly for testing sites with.

Yes it is much faster than previous versions. It is on par with Chrome. It is also much faster than Chrome and the others in some areas as far more of what it does uses the GPU to accelerate stuff.

I'm still using Chrome as my desktop browser though, it still feels cleaner than IE9 and has a bunch of extensions that I wouldn't want to start looking for IE equivalents for.

The biggest win for us developers though is that its rendering is better, meaning once more end users are using it we'll have less layout hassle. Or at least we would if we could convince our corporate clients not to support IE6 and IE7 frown

#342242 - 13/02/2011 09:26 Re: Anyone trying IE9 [Re: andy]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
I0ve been testing it since the beta on one of my machines, for daily browsing, and it a too buggy. I am now using the RC, which seems quite stable and fast. I find it a bit faster than Chrome, but not enough to justify the switchover for somebody who is into Chrome now. Overall I like it, but did not have time to explore much.
All I can say so far is:
- it is the fastest I've seen so far.
- download manager is there, and it is a good thing, but there's much better third party apps to that purpose. Not impressed there.
- I very much like the fact that I can place the address bar on it's on line, and taps on the next one. It's the compromise I like betweek Chrome and classic IE approaches.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#342331 - 15/02/2011 00:29 Re: Anyone trying IE9 [Re: msaeger]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

So here's a good one.

Since installing this and all the windows updates required to get it running I am having a issue with my SSD which has windows installed on it.

After the computer sits idle for a while (like 15 minutes maybe)I get a BSOD and a reboot, then the SSD is not detected by the BIOS until I shut off the computer and turn it back on.

I would think it's just windows screwed up but the drive not being detected makes it seem like it could be something else.

Matt

#342336 - 15/02/2011 00:51 Re: Anyone trying IE9 [Re: msaeger]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
My "original Vertex" SSD periodically throws a snit and is not detectable by the Dell BIOS, usually after a system crash (hey, I run pre-bleeding-edge!), or after booting from some other media (weird, that).

When it does it, I have to yank the drive and replug it (aka. "power cycle") before it works again.

-ml

#342339 - 15/02/2011 00:56 Re: Anyone trying IE9 [Re: mlord]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

That's probably what's happening and windows is just crashing from installing IE9. I think they need to go back to beta smile

Matt