Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#342453 - 16/02/2011 17:15 Sliced Cheese!
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Thanks, to Jeff...
Do you slice your own?
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 16/02/2011 17:14
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

#342454 - 16/02/2011 17:27 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: canuckInOR]
tman
carpal tunnel

A big loaf of cheese??

#342455 - 16/02/2011 17:32 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: tman]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
The only time I buy pre-sliced cheese is when it's going to go on barbecued burgers. Waitrose appear to know this: in summer they sell really rather nice pre-sliced Jarlsberg. I can has Jarlsberger.

Peter

#342457 - 16/02/2011 17:41 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: canuckInOR]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
We often have a selection of crumbly cheese, smelly cheese, etc. in the fridge. I work close to Borough Market, which has a particularly good selection of cheese purveyors. For day-to-day cheesage, however, it's generally a mature Cheddar (grade 4 or higher).

We use a cheese planer to slice it. We have two cheese planers. One is originally from Norway and works really well. One is from the UK, and doesn't work that well.

For grating cheese, we used to have a box grater. Now we have a flat grater. It's easier to clean, but the cheese goes everywhere.

#342458 - 16/02/2011 17:41 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: peter]
tman
carpal tunnel

The cheese I cut for sandwiches and burgers tends to end up as more of a slab than a slice. I'm generally happy with just decent mature Cheddar.

#342459 - 16/02/2011 17:51 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: tman]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tman
A big loaf of cheese??

Yep. Here's my usual. We have two loaves in the fridge.

#342460 - 16/02/2011 17:54 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: canuckInOR]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
Yep. Here's my usual. We have two loaves in the fridge.

Huh. Never heard of anybody referring to it as a loaf before. I've always just called it a block or maybe a wheel if its big enough.

#342462 - 16/02/2011 17:59 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: tman]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Me, either. Must be a Great Lakes/Canada thing.

#342463 - 16/02/2011 18:08 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: Roger]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Roger
We often have a selection of crumbly cheese, smelly cheese, etc. in the fridge. I work close to Borough Market, which has a particularly good selection of cheese purveyors.

Very nice. We live walking distance from our local farmer's market, but it's not covered/indoors, so it only a weekend seasonal thing. There are a couple of artisan cheese makers there -- I had a good blueberry havarti, from Willamette Valley Cheese Co.. The other one I remember off the top of my head is Rogue Creamery.

Quote:
We use a cheese planer to slice it.
I must have the UK version. I've never had much luck with cheese planers, and prefer a wire slicer.

#342465 - 16/02/2011 18:11 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: wfaulk]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Me, either. Must be a Great Lakes/Canada thing.

Nah... Tillamook as an Oregon dairy farm co-operative. As a (former) Great Lakes area Canadian resident, I always used to call it a block, too. Still do, mostly. But if the cheese maker calls it a loaf, who am I to argue?

#342467 - 16/02/2011 19:18 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: canuckInOR]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
We get this type.

I don't eat a lot of cheese and pretty much get it for sandwich type things.

Matt

#342468 - 16/02/2011 19:24 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: canuckInOR]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
During our first trip to Italy in 2006, SWMBO & I discovered pecarino. Wow! smile

We hardy get any variety of it back here in Canada, but what we can find is now a regular item in the fridge.

Pecarino Romano is what we use in place of parmesan nowadays -- much better flavour for our tastes. And the crotenese from our local Italian shop is the closest we get to "real" pecarino flavour for snacks and sandwiches.

Note to Self: remember to figure out the cheese import rules before our return trip to Italy later this year!

#342470 - 16/02/2011 20:04 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: mlord]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Is this the best empegbbs topic ever ??? Love this !!!

The option for grating is missing, given the preference I always favour grated.

Cheers

Cris

#342475 - 16/02/2011 20:28 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: Cris]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Quote:

There's always something missing, isn't there?
Is this poll complete?
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 16/02/2011 20:28
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

#342477 - 16/02/2011 20:39 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: canuckInOR]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Sadly had to pick Dairy gives me gas, but years ago it would have been a big loaf and cutting it myself.

#342481 - 16/02/2011 21:14 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: canuckInOR]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
Quote:
We use a cheese planer to slice it.
I must have the UK version. I've never had much luck with cheese planers, and prefer a wire slicer.

Cheese planes can be very hit or miss it seems. My mom has one that the wooden handle broke off years ago, but is the best one we ever found. We tried one after another but they were usually junk. I tried a wire one for a while, but wasn't a fan. It had a plastic piece to roll along the top, but it bent resulting in wavy slices of cheese.

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#342484 - 16/02/2011 22:07 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: Cris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: Cris

To snack on? Why would you grate it for snacking? Seems unwieldy to me. I want to get the most cheese in my mouth that I can!

In that case, I'd like an option added to the poll for "Why slice it? I just bite big chunks off!" smile

But seriously, my wife and I are way too addicted to cheese. The one part of our fridge that NEVER runs low is the cheese drawer, and most of the time it's full with blocks and bags elsewhere.

We occasionally get pre-grated bags just because it's easier for throwing something together for dinner, but I much prefer to grate it myself when necessary (for recipes, not snacking wink ) because I think it tastes better.

For grating I either use a nice Oxo or for a large batch I'll use the food processor (and because it's fun). For slicing, we have four or five different cheese knives, though I'd love to get something better. We also have two or three cheese boards for serving, though that's only for company because for ourselves we just serve it in whatever manner is easiest smile

I like pretty much every kind of cheese out there, from the most bland to the stinkiest. I live for cheese smile Also, I don't have anything bad to say about the plastic-wrapped variety. I eat that stuff for nostalgia. There probably isn't even any cheese in it, but that doesn't bother me smile

Lastly, this probably isn't new to most of you, but three years ago when my wife and I were on our honeymoon (in Italy), we were introduced to the greatest idea in history: Parmesan cheese dipped in honey. It's one of my favorite things in the world! The only downside is that once you've eaten it in Italy, it's nearly impossible to reproduce where we live. We just can't seem to get Parmesan that's worth a damn (at least not without spending $50/lbd), and the honey around here isn't that great either. It has a weird aftertaste to it. But wow, we had that almost every day on that trip smile

Quote:
Is this the best empegbbs topic ever ??? Love this !!!

Agreed!

#342491 - 16/02/2011 23:17 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: Dignan]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Originally Posted By: Dignan

To snack on? Why would you grate it for snacking?

Do you think there would be any mileage in the theory that by grating you increase the surface area of the cheese in your mouth, increasing the contact of cheese with tongue, so allowing you to enjoy the same cheesey goodness using your cheese stock in a more efficient way ???

I wouldn't say I like to snack on cheese as such, how ever it would often find itself grated onto a snack.

Cheers

Cris

#342492 - 16/02/2011 23:25 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: Cris]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Did anyone else vote in the one-option poll just to see how many others did?

#342497 - 17/02/2011 00:20 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: JBjorgen]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Cris
To snack on? Why would you grate it for snacking?

Do you think there would be any mileage in the theory that by grating you increase the surface area of the cheese in your mouth, increasing the contact of cheese with tongue, so allowing you to enjoy the same cheesey goodness using your cheese stock in a more efficient way ???

I wouldn't say I like to snack on cheese as such, how ever it would often find itself grated onto a snack.

Interesting theory smile I can't find any problem with it. I shouldn't have criticized. A man can eat his cheese any way he likes. I think it's a basic human right.

I'd also forgotten about all the tasty snacks that can be made with shredded cheese. Like nachos smile

Originally Posted By: JBjorgen
Did anyone else vote in the one-option poll just to see how many others did?

I did smile Maybe you should create a poll to see how many others did...

#342501 - 17/02/2011 01:04 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: Dignan]
Folsom

Loc: Atlanta
I'm surprised no Venezuelan Beaver Cheese jokes yet.

#342505 - 17/02/2011 03:54 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
We occasionally get pre-grated bags just because it's easier for throwing something together for dinner, but I much prefer to grate it myself when necessary (for recipes, not snacking wink ) because I think it tastes better.

In the US at least, most pre-grated cheese contains additives, like corn starch to keep it from sticking together, and things to help it melt more evenly, under the assumption that you're mostly going to use pre-grated cheese for melting onto something.

Which may explain the difference in taste.

#342507 - 17/02/2011 06:55 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: wfaulk]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
In the US at least, most pre-grated cheese contains additives, like corn starch to keep it from sticking together

Yeah, I was going to suggest that there had to be some kind of anti-caking agent in there. I suspect that they'll use the cheapest cheese they can find as well.

#342522 - 17/02/2011 12:50 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: canuckInOR]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Right then, I'm definitely a cheese addict. Probably my favorite standbys are aged cheddars and fresh goat cheeses of the sort that come in a plastic tube and can be spread like butter (sometimes called a "chevre log"). For an occasion, my favorite cheese is Humboldt Fog. It's stupid expensive ($25/pound or more), but it's glorious. A recent favorite of mine is a brie-like cheese from Italy called Taleggio, which has more of a nuttiness to it than standard brie.

#342524 - 17/02/2011 12:57 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

For grating I either use a nice Oxo or for a large batch I'll use the food processor (and because it's fun).

Seconded. There's something amazing entertaining about using the grating disk in our food processor. In two seconds, you blast through a block of cheese.

#342525 - 17/02/2011 13:01 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: DWallach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

In the US at least, most pre-grated cheese contains additives, like corn starch to keep it from sticking together, and things to help it melt more evenly, under the assumption that you're mostly going to use pre-grated cheese for melting onto something.

Which may explain the difference in taste.

Yeah, I figured there was some less than desirable stuff in there, but it's so damned convenient sometimes smile

Originally Posted By: DWallach
...fresh goat cheeses of the sort that come in a plastic tube and can be spread like butter (sometimes called a "chevre log"). For an occasion, my favorite cheese is Humboldt Fog. It's stupid expensive ($25/pound or more), but it's glorious.

I'm sure my standby is not as good as yours, but have you tried the goat cheese from Costco? It's mighty tasty on salads and spread on crackers, and it's absurdly cheap. My local grocery store sells 4oz logs of chevre for around $5. For $4.50 Costco will sell you 16oz. It's incredible. They have amazing prices on their cheese that boggles my mind. Their price on mozzarella isn't 1/4 like the goat cheese, but it's better than half what you pay in a regular grocery store. We get brie there too, which is good because that stuff can get really expensive, and we occasionally like to make this panini with brie, raspberries, and honey that's heavenly.

ps-really? Chrome doesn't know the word panini? I really need to see if there's an alternate dictionary for the spellchecker, because it doesn't know some common words...

#342531 - 17/02/2011 13:06 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: Dignan]
tman
carpal tunnel

empegbbs is all about the cheese if the poll results are anything to go by. empegandcheesebbs IMO

#342538 - 17/02/2011 13:18 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: DWallach]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
For grating I either use a nice Oxo or for a large batch I'll use the food processor (and because it's fun).

Seconded. There's something amazing entertaining about using the grating disk in our food processor. In two seconds, you blast through a block of cheese.

And ten minutes later you're done cleaning and stowing the machine.

Cheers

#342541 - 17/02/2011 13:22 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: mlord]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: mlord

And ten minutes later you're done cleaning and stowing the machine.

Ah, that's what dishwashers are for, sir: lazy Americans! smile

#342564 - 17/02/2011 15:55 Re: Sliced Cheese! [Re: canuckInOR]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Haha- this thread is great! I love this BBS.

I definitely fall into the lazy American camp on buying sliced cheese- but I do usually get it at the deli for sandwiches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >