Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a problem with file permissions in XP home.

A colleague has asked me to fix her notebook which had lost access to most functions in windows. It turned out that somebody/thing had disabled ALL services in windows, disabling just about everything. I turned them all back on but something was still blocking all network communication apart from internet explorer so I installed a copy of win2000 in a different directory so that I could copy her files off to another machine which I had already zipped up in XP and saved to c:\.

Unforunately, the .ZIP file inherited her permissions and now whenever I try to copy it in win2k I get access denied.

I am logged in as administrator in w2k and have also tried to re-create a user account with the same name and password as in XP to access it but this doesn't work either.

Unfortunately installing w2k to the same partition has nobbled XP, so I can't simply boot XP and reset the permissions. Also her "My Documents" is also locked so I can't just zip the files again.

Is there any way that I can access this file?
Any utility that can reset file permissions?
Can I extract the UID and password hash from XP's SAM and somehow create a cloned user in 2000 that will inherit her XP permissions?

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP!

thanks,
Oli.